[blindza] Fw: Higher Ground Newsletter August 2012

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 06:27:48 +0200

__

Dear Friends

We've just come out of the most exciting July! Higher Ground hosted 3, yes 3!, holiday programmes back to back. The three essential ingredients were there - incredible participants; caring and dedicated volunteers and exciting venues. What more could we have asked for.

We kicked off with a holiday for teens and tertiary students who are blind or partially sighted. A group of guys and girls from KZN, the Eastern Cape and Gauteng joined us for a week of friends, fun and adventure. The volunteers (see below for more about them) were incredible role models (most in university or just having finished) and so were able to relate well and inspire our participants.

Next up it was time for another of our long-standing holiday programmes - for adults with acquired brain injuries. We held this at one of our first beach venues and so everyone enjoyed the warmer weather and the daily trips to the beach. What a treat for many who don't normally get the opportunity to get sand under their feet and feel the waves splashing on them. Our wonderful volunteers used all of their muscle to get wheelchairs out onto the sand and encouraged many of the participants (including those who struggled to get out of their chairs) to sit in the waves. What an amazing experience.

Finally, it was time for our holiday programme for young adults with intellectual impairments. These guys and girls fill every moment of every day with a joy you don't experience in the normal humdrum of life. What a blessing and privilege to spend time with, and see the enjoyment experienced by, this group of guys and girls (many of whom have down syndrome or autism).

None of these programmes would have been half the success they were if it were not for the group of outstanding volunteers we had. We were once again privileged to host a team from The World Race for the month. To say that these men and women put their all into making each programme a time of fun and joy for our participants is an understatement. 5 guys and 3 girls from all around the US and one from Canada - Rebecca, Becca, Dania, Mike, Tyler, Kyle, Wes and Matt made a huge impact on our participants lives and we are forever grateful for the way they tirelessly poured themselves out over the month of July. After a two day break in Cape Town they headed off to India for the next leg of their journey. We wish them every happiness as they travel around the world making a world of difference.

AGM

Please join us for our AGM taking place Saturday 25 August at 9am in Westville. The short, informal meeting will be followed by a light breakfast. Please RSVP on 072 039 0907 or HigherGroundSA@xxxxxxxxx for catering purposes and so that we can tell you the venue/directions. We'd love to see you there!

WHAT'S NEXT?

We're very excited to announce our next, upcoming holiday programme! It gets better - it's sponsored by the KZN Department of Sport and Recreation! Especially for adults who are blind or partially sighted and taking place at a wonderful beach venue in KZN. This will be happening at the beginning of November. Drop us a line at HigherGroundSA@xxxxxxxxx if you'd like more details. This one is going to fill up fast so get your name on the list now.

100 CLUB

We have been blessed with a number of contributors to our 100 Club. How amazing to have people catch our vision and play a part in the sustainability of Higher Ground. If you would like to get involved in this project (a monthly donation of R100) please go to higherground.givengain.com (or contact us for our banking details to set up your own monthly payment). We will soon be launching our special annual event, exclusively for 100 Club members. It would mean the world to us if you would join this band of supporters.

SUPPORTERS

There are so many people to thank for their help. Below are some of our recent financial supporters (not including 100 Club members):

Pinetown Rotary Club
Edna Burford Trust
KZN Department of Sport and Recreation
Westville Lions Club
Rotary Club of Durban Umhlatuzana
31 Club
The Aaron Beare Foundation/Neptun Boot
All organisations and individuals who have sponsored campers and chosen to remain anonymous

The new supporter in this list is the KZN Department of Sport and Recreation. We are very excited about this new development and trust that it will be a partnership long into the future.

PROMO DVD

We have a wonderful new dvd, made for us by Killiecrankie Road Productions. You can find it on our website (www.higherground.org.za/video). If we've never spoken before at your service organisation/church/school/company why not consider it? We'd love to come and share our vision with you. Also, if we've been to you before, we'd love to come and fill you in on some of our accomplishments and developments. Drop us a line and we'll be there!

If you are familiar with Higher Ground and would like to introduce us to your friends/family/colleagues please contact us for a copy of the dvd and other useful material which we'd be happy to send to you.

With your help we can reach even greater heights, impact more lives and see our goals being achieved.

Thank you for taking the time to read our newsletter. Have a happy, warm August and we will be in touch again soon.

Yours in holiday adventures

Emma and Kerneels

Dates for your diary:

25 August 2012 - AGM, Westville, 9am
November 2012 - Holiday adventure for adults who are blind or partially sighted, KZN

--
The following information is a reminder of your current mailing

You are subscribed to the following list:

Higher Ground

using the following email:

jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxx

You may automatically unsubscribe from this list at any time by
visiting the following URL:

<http://mail.fmous.net/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/u/higherground/>

If the above URL is inoperable, make sure that you have copied the
entire address. Some mail readers will wrap a long URL and thus break
this automatic unsubscribe mechanism.

You may also change your subscription by visiting this list's main screen:

<http://mail.fmous.net/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/list/higherground>

If you're still having trouble, please contact the list owner at:

<mailto:highergroundsa@xxxxxxxxx>

The following physical address is associated with this mailing list:

Durban South Africa

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za