[blindza] FW: Free content for people with disabilities on Vodafone live!

  • From: <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:29:36 +0200

-------- Original Message --------

PRESS RELEASE

Free content for people with disabilities on Vodafone live!

3 December 2009, International Day of Persons with Disabilities - From
today, people with hearing or mobility impairments will be able to use
their cellphones to access information on jobs, read educational and
inspirational articles and find out about community initiatives for
people with disabilities - free of charge.

As the first operator in South Africa that seeks to increase
accessibility to cellular communication products and services, Vodacom
has launched another unique point of access to information for people
with disabilities: Vodacom Specific Needs products and other disability
related content on Vodafone live!, available on any WAP-enabled
cellphone.

The content will include articles from Rolling Inspiration magazine,
links to websites of Organisations for the Disabled, and recruitment
information for people with disabilities.

Browsing on Vodafone live! is free of charge and is the ideal channel
for the many South Africans who may not have easy access to a PC, but
who have a Vodacom cellphone that is WAP-enabled.

1.      To access the Specific Needs content on Vodafone live!,
customers can simply go to live.vodafone.com on their cellphone browser,
then click on 'More menus' on the homepage and select 'Specific Needs'
from the menu page.

2.      Alternatively SMS 'Specific' to 31116 (FREE), which will return
a link via SMS that the user can click on. This link will take the user
directly to the Specific Needs homepage on Vodafone Live!.

"Since 2004, when we launched our Specific Needs initiative, we have
worked in collaboration with various disability organisations and
individuals to better understand the cellular communication needs of our
customers with hearing, visual and mobility impairments," says Shameel
Joosub, managing director of Vodacom South Africa.

"By collaborating with Rolling Inspiration magazine, disabled and
elderly organisations and technology suppliers to provide specific
content for this large community of people, we aim to make cellular
communication accessible to all."

For more information on any other products and services for people with
disabilities, please call or send an SMS to Vodacom's Specific Needs
Contact Centre on 12580, free from a Vodacom cellphone, or on 082 12580
from any other phone (standard rates apply).  Customers can also send an
email to 12580@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or visit the Vodacom website on
www.vodacom.co.za <http://www.vodacom.co.za/> , and refer to the
'Specific Needs' section.

Ends