[blindza] Re: [Blind] (more) transport issues

  • From: "Carel Ewald" <cewald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:19:59 +0200

Hi J,

Maybe try the Kempton express. Advertising for a young student/person to
take you to and from work every day. It might however mean, that you will
have to get to work at 6.30am, and only get back at 6.30pm as to give the
student/person time to do his thing also from 8am-4pm - advertise as "extra
income". It is going to be fairly expensive though when you using their car.
Also, I have a car but let the people driving me around use it, and now have
bumps and scratches - but kind of got over that long ago as there is just
nothing one can do about that.

What is interesting to me, from a labour relations perspective, is that they
are changing your terms and conditions of work. They cannot do this unless
they can prove it is a operational requirement that you have to be in the
office. Even though it was a verbal contract, the mere fact that you were
allowed for a number of years to do this, creates the expectation that this
is normal practice. If they can prove this is a operational requirement, and
you do not wish to change, they are in a position to propose retrenchment,
which would be at a minimum rate of 1 week for every year worked.  However,
what you can tell them also, is that this extra hiring of a driver, due to
them changing the terms and conditions, comes at a cost to you, so they need
to look at accommodating or at least contribute to this extra cost. If you
can prove that you can do the work from home, they kind of stuck.

You can always take them to the CCMA/bargaining council on this, but this is
a career limiting move, no matter how much protection the law try to give in
this regard.

Thanks,

Carel Ewald