[blindza] Re: Assistive devices for taking care of babies

  • From: "Carel Ewald" <cewald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:39:11 +0200

Hi D,

I'll check out the talking thermometer thanks.

Maybe I can use my liquid level indicator on the nappies..smile

Thanks,

Carel Ewald

From: Carel Ewald <mailto:cewald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

with topics focused on accessibility for users with visual disabilities.' ;
blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:22 PM

Subject: [blindza] Assistive devices for taking care of babies

Hi all,

Our little trouble maker will be here soon and I am taking some tips from
other international, USA mostly, blind lists on parenting.

Looking at the local market, I have been asking Toys R us and Reggies, they
do not have anything specifically nor know about any devices blind parents
can use. Is there any assistive devices out there that someone knows about
that would assist except for  the normal stuff? Still on top of my list is a
"auto poop detector" if anybody is wondering..

The coolest thing so far is a infra red thermometer, which measures body
fever. One presses it into the ear and push the button. There is a small
display, which I am sure can be read by something like the KNFB on a
cellphone. Although not totally accesable for blind users, one can preset
the alarm temperature and it will make an continual beeping sound when above
the preset temperature. At least I will know when there is trouble.

Regards,

Carel Ewald

Redfoot cc

Cell: +27 (0) 83 463 4023