[blindwoodworker] Re: Steel Chess board

  • From: Dan Rossi <dr25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 08:25:26 -0400 (EDT)

John,

The place I worked that had the water jet cutter was just a machine shop. I could only recommend that you call around to various machine shops in your area to see if they have a water jet cutter. Although, a water jet isn't necessary, a CNC mill could do the same. CNC, Computer Numerically Controlled, or something like that.

In my case, the negative of the brass goes completely through the wood. The jet was used to cut both the positive and negative. It was pretty easy for the Computer Aided Design guy to program both. If you were going to do a really good job of the inlay, you would need computer control to do both the positive and negative because the tolerances are pretty tight.

I like your idea of the resin with brass powder.

Just for further description. The name is a series of letters, all sitting on a thin bar at the bottom, IE, the bottoms of all the letters are connected together along this bar, so it is one piece of metal.

Secondly, you can see the kerf cuts in a couple of the letters that have enclosed hollow spaces, for example, the letter O. I think it was possible to cut them without showing any kerf, but I think it is very interesting to see just how fine a kerf you can cut with water.

Anyway, see if you can't take a browse through a local telephone registry and look up machine shop, or whatever you might call the equivalent down under. Ask if they have any computer controlled milling equipment and if they would do a small job.

Hope that helps.

-- Blue skies.
Dan Rossi
Carnegie Mellon University.