[blindwoodworker] Re: Plexiglass Chessboard

  • From: "John Sherrer" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 18:13:42 -0400

Hi John

The holes in the chess board squares match with dowel rods in the bottom of the
chess pieces.  This way a blind chess player can check out the board without
moving the chess pieces.

Plexi Glass is used here to replace pane glass.  It is very strong, clearer
than glass, but will scratch.  So after a few years, it can fog up with
scratches from wind.

I have some left over from another project, that is one reason why I want to
use it.  Another reason that I want to use it is that wood glue will not stick
to it.

What I want to do is make a template wear I can drop in the black squares, then
add glue, and then put the white board on top of the black squares, the white
board being one piece.  I would add clamping pressure and hope that the chess
board would glue up.

The reason that I am considering making the chess boards this way is that the
fellow I am making them for wants 30 chess boards at a time. So I am looking at
easy ways of making these boards.

John
http://WhiteCane.org
http://BlindWoodWorker.com