[blindwoodworker] Mobile Base Castors & Brake

  • From: "JDM" <sunnyday001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 17:14:26 +1000

G'day Dan,

The mobile base castors and brake system I installed to my Woodworkers bench are an off the shelf item, which cost me AUD$50. Here, I bought the system from a Company named Carba-Tec Pty Ltd, which is Australia's equivalent of Lee Valley. A quick search of Lee Valley's online catalog shows me that Lee Valley has many such systems available, and the one that popped up most immediately was the "HTC2000 Mobile Machine Base." The Kreg Company also makes a mobile machine base system.

For me, the ideal thing about the Carba-Tec mobile base system, is that it can be built to any length or width required. It consists of 3 steel plates with 2 fixed hard nylon wheels and 1 swiveling or castor wheel, plus a kickdown highfield lever to raise or lower the swiveling castor wheel. When the swivel wheel lever is kicked up the bench is slightly lowered so that it sits down to the floor onto 2 rubber feet and thus becomes immovable.

In the system I have, I had to make up the 2 side rails and the 2 end rails to lengths which matched with the outside dimensions of my woodwork bench. My wooden rails are 2 inch by 2 inch Douglas Fir. Douglas Fir is a very soft and not particularly strong lumber at these dimensions, but they carry no weight and are not load bearing. All the bench weight is carried via the bench legs directly onto the steel plates, the 2 non-swiveling wheels and the 2 hard rubber feet. When the lever is kicked down, and the swivel wheel contacts the floor, then at that time, half the bench's weight is lifted or carried by the bottom rail of the bench itself, not by the 2 inch square Douglas Fir mobile base rail. The bottom rails of my woodwork bench are 4 inch by 2 inch ¹Tasmanian Oak hardwood.

the trickiest part, for me, in this project was that the mobile base was an afterthought. After building the bench, I suddenly realised how very heavy this critter was, and what effort would be required to drag it around the limited space of my workshop. I had built the woodwork bench to also serve as an outfeed table for my 3HP, 10 inch cast iron Table Saw, and had built it to that height. As the mobile base added exactly 2 inches (50.8mm) to the woodwork bench height, I then had to set about sawing off 2 inches from the bottom end of my new bench's legs. Ouch! Why oh why does my brain only have 20/20 vision in the hindsight mode?

Hope this has been of some help.

Cheers,

John Milburn

Melbourne Australia.

¹Tasmanian Oak = Several species of Australian Eucalyptus, and not a true Oak at all. However, when the English colonialists arrived here in the 1780's to set up a new Prison colony, the woodwork Artisans of the day were delighted to find that the Eucalypt lumber in all its characteristics reminded them of their much loved English Oak and hence it was so named. Yes, after losing the American War of Independence, the English had to find a new place to transport their criminals, and thus Australia was born. Thanks USA! *lol*

Tasmanian Oak | Eucalyptus delegatensis, EUCALYPTUS obliqua & EUCALYPTUS regnans
Other Common Names | Australian Ash

the timber
Warm, dense and resilient, Tasmanian Oak is the preferred hardwood for a wide range of applications. It works extremely well and produces an excellent finish. It can be used in all forms of construction as scantlings, paneling and flooring, and can be glue-laminated to cover long spans. Veneers, plywood and engineered products are also common applications. It is also a popular furniture timber, and Eucalypt fibre is sought after for reconstituted board and production of high quality paper.

Tasmanian Oak is light in colour, varying from straw to reddish brown with intermediate shades of cream to pink. It is recognised for its excellent staining qualities, which allow ready matching with other timbers, finishes or furnishings.

the resource
The species grow in native forests. EUCALYPTUS delegatensis is the dominant forest species in cooler, higher altitudes. EUCALYPTUS obliqua is mainly found in lower altitudes, but ranges from the coast to 600m in hilly or mountainous country. EUCALYPTUS regnans is widespread but it prefers well-drained soils in areas of high rainfall and low fire frequency.

Mature EUCALYPTUS obliqua and mature EUCALYPTUS delegatensis will survive even severe wildfires in contrast to the fire sensitive EUCALYPTUS regnans, which does not survive even low intensity fires. Seedlings of all three species establish best after fire has exposed bare mineral soils, with minimum leaf litter. They thrive when they are not overshadowed. The species are generally not successful as plantation stock as the seedlings do not respond well after transplanting.

These three species occur in Dry Eucalypt and Wet Eucalypt native forest types. 35% of these forest types is in reserve.

the tree
As the tallest flowering plant in the world, EUCALYPTUS regnans grow up to 100m (330 feet). EUCALYPTUS delegatensis and EUCALYPTUS obliqua do not reach these heights, reaching about 70m (230 feet)with the tallest trees achieving 90m (295 feet).

The species produce buds in clusters of seven or more, with white cream flowers. The flowers are hermaphroditic.

The leaves are asymmetrical and rounder in shape in their juvenile forms. EUCALYPTUS regnans has green, asymmetrical lance-shaped leaves. EUCALYPTUS obliqua has asymmetrical glossy green, leathery lance-shaped leaves while EUCALYPTUS delegatensis has dull blue-green asymmetrical sickle-shaped leaves.

The bark of each of these species is characteristically 'stringy'. EUCALYPTUS obliqua's bark is rough and persistent to the small branches. EUCALYPTUS regnans' rough bark sheds in long ribbons and is often seen hanging from the branches. EUCALYPTUS delegatensis has reddish-brown to grey bark with longitudinal furrows on the lower trunk.