[blindweightwatcher] fw Strategic plans

  • From: "Jan Bailey" <jb021951@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindweightwatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:25:33 -0600

Monterey Herald

Barbara Quinn: Strategic plans

Barbara Quinn On Nutrition
Updated: 01/07/2009 09:39:06 AM PST

"Some is not a number; soon is not a time," hospital administrator
Tim Nylen told a group of us at a recent "milestone celebration" at
the hospital where I work.

He went on to explain how our organization's "strategic plan" for the
future is based on a few focused initiatives that can be measured
within a certain time frame. Kind of like New Year's resolutions on
steroids. Not "I'll try to get more exercise this year" but "Monday
and Wednesday morning at 6 a.m., I will pull myself out of bed and go
for a half-hour walk with my friend Chris before I jump in the shower
to get ready for work."

Other "strategic" goals that could change our health for the better
this year include:

* I will eat regular meals and snacks throughout the day - no longer
than 4 or 5 hours between meals or a snack. A report from the United
States Department of Agriculture found that people who went more than
5 hours between meals ate almost 100 calories more each day than
those who ate meals 4 hours apart. Why? When we skip meals or go long
stretches between meals, we tend to choose lower quality, higher
calorie foods when we finally do eat.

* I will eat: a) At home every night this week; b) at the kitchen
table; c) with the television turned off; d) and have pleasant
conversation with those with whom I share my meal.

Research shows that we eat far fewer calories and higher quality
meals when we prepare them at home. And we save money ...

* How can we stay on track once we have set our mighty goals? Keep a
short timeline, says Nylen. Not "I will swim every day this year" but
"This week, I will swim on Tuesday and Thursday."

* And realize we may need to change our goals over time. My friend
Chris and I decided this morning we will walk in the evening as soon
as the days get longer.

* Finally, staying on track with health goals allows us to share our
good health with others. I was informed recently of the intense need
our hospital has for blood donations - something healthy people can
do 4-6 times a year. We can even join a "Four Seasons Club" to remind
us to donate blood at least four times a year. Learn about it at
www.chomp.org/blood/blood_donation.aspx#1
 or call 625-4586.

That's what I call a great strategic goal!