[blindweightwatcher] Real Food

  • From: "Jan Bailey" <jb021951@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindweightwatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 00:35:51 -0500

Real Food
by Leanne Ely, C.N.C.

**This week, a new movie called Food, Inc. hit the big screen. It has limited
showings in different areas, but it is a MUST SEE for anyone who cares about
the food they eat! Check out
www.foodincmovie.com
 and see if it's playing near you!

Here's my Food for Thought column (this is my free newsletter that goes out on
Mondays), which goes hand in hand--

There is an interesting discussion going on in the food world among the
"foodies" of the universe. Something I hinted about in an earlier Food for
Thought
talking about the issue of food; REAL food.

This discussion is about many different issues-- some of them are more
controversial than others. The stuff that's important though, is the stuff I
want
to share with you and that is the identification of real food.

I know that sounds pretty ridiculous. Just writing it made me chuckle, "well of
course Leanne, everyone knows what real food is," I said to myself. But
do you really? Let's look at some stuff and list some of the ingredients in
these food items:

What is in butter? Well, cream is in butter. That's it, end of ingredient list
(unless of course you buy salted butter or butter with a coloring agent
in it). But good butter is going to have ONE ingredient: cream. That's it.

What is in margarine? Well, lots of stuff. Hydrogenated oils in a lot of them,
artificial coloring agents, artificial flavorings and enhancers, stabilizing
agents, preservatives. Here is a list of ingredients on a well-known margarine
that I found online: "water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt,
emulsifiers
(soy lecithin, vegetable monoglycerides), xantham gum, preservatives (potassium
sorbate, sodium benzoate), artificial flavor, vitamin a palmitate, colored
with beta carotene (a source of vitamin A)."

Okay, raise your hand if you would willingly walk into a grocery store and ask
where they kept the potassium sorbate? And do they have the vegetable
monoglycerides
in the produce department or where? Are these ingredients you want to eat all
by themselves?

THAT is the question you need to ask yourself before you eat something-is there
any one ingredient in that long list of ingredients on the back of the
box, bag or package, that you would willingly to eat, all by itself?

If the answer is NO, then you are not eating REAL food. "Foods" like that are
manufactured and processed and fabricated out of partially real food and
a whole lot of chemical additives.

As much as possible, let's get back to REAL food! The kind with single
ingredient lists even! When I'm speaking, I'll hold up an apple and ask my
audience,
"What's in this?" Everyone yells, "APPLE!" and laughs! When I hold up a package
of apple flavored chips or fruit leathers or some such thing, I'll ask
the same thing and everyone mumbles and looks at each other. You know why, too,
don't you? Because we don't know. We can guess, but we really don't know
unless we read the list. And even then, can you identify half that stuff?

This is the stuff we're giving our children for snacks. This is the stuff we're
eating because it's only 100 calories (there is a proliferation of expensive
100 calorie snacks out there!). This is the stuff we're wasting our money on
and then we complain because food costs so much at the grocery store, we've
got visible body clutter issues that we're unhappy about and we're hungry all
the time!

Real food is the answer to ALL of this. It's cheaper (oh yes it is!!), it takes
up more room in your tummy, quells your appetite and feeds you both body
AND soul. Real food helps you lose the body clutter-both the kind you can see
and the kind you can't.

It's time to take a stand ladies (and gents). Real food has been around since
your great grandmother. It doesn't have fancy names, huge expensive PR campaigns
or any other gimmick going on. Real food is FUEL for living the kind of lives
we want!

Will you join me in eating REAL food this week? Let's get REAL and stop this
insanity of all this crazy mixed up fake food! It's literally weighing us
down and wrecking our health!