The U.S. Blind Chess Championship

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:49:42 -0400

The United States Chess Federation (USCF)
Thursday, November 01, 2007

The U.S. Blind Chess Championship

By Jessica Lauser

The USCF gives out over 20 national titles. Some are large, some are small, but
the term "national title" holds real prestige in all these events. The U.S.
Blind Championship goes back further than most. In 1977, the initial title was
won by James Slagle, a well-known player in the blind chess community.

What is a blind chessplayer? Of course, it is easy to define someone who has no
sight at all, but the partially-sighted are allowed to compete in the FIDE
Blind Championship. The line was drawn in 1985 by the USCF policy board when it
was decided that if one is unable to get a driver's license because they have
been classified as "legally-blind," they are eligible to play for this national
title.

Back in the days of Al Sandrin, the 1949 U.S. Open winner, the title of U.S.
Blind Champion carried some weight. (Al won the tournament while he was still
in the process of going blind from glaucoma.) In recent years, the number of
participants has fallen, and the tournament, although sanctioned by FIDE, has
been on the endangered species list.

When I played at the 2003 U.S. Blind Championship in Los Angeles, there were
only three participants in the event. The tournament was rescued by a retired
schoolteacher and chess enthusiast named Rick Varchetto who hails from the
small but dynamic town of Elkins, West Virginia.

Rick explains: "In the summer of 2004, I read in Chess Life that the USCF was
looking for corporations or organizations to sponsor various tournaments. When
I saw that the U.S. Blind Championship was listed, I felt that this would be a
good tournament for West Virginia Lions Clubs to sponsor. I am a member of both
the local and state chapters of Lions Club International, and I received their
full support, and was given permission, by the West Virginia District Governors
to move forward."

Joan DuBois at the USCF office helped Rick prepare his bid and guided him
through the process. Fellow Lions Club member Jerry Smith, then manager of the
Hampton Inn in Buckhannon, West Virginia (near Elkins) gave the tournament
great rates on meals and rooms, even throwing in a complimentary conference
room. Rick was awarded the bid for the U.S. Blind Championship for 2005, 2006,
and 2007. The staff at the Hampton Inn, along with a number of volunteers, have
given this event renewed importance.

I finished clear second among the three players who participated in 2003 with
only a 1251 rating. I've wanted, ever since, to get another crack at this
national title, and this year, with the help of Fred Gruenberg of Chicago and
my coach Jerry Hanken, I was able to participate.

A national tournament requires a National Tournament Director to direct, and
Tim Just of Chicago filled that role. Tim says, "I love to come to this
tournament because it's just like a family reunion. Everyone knows everyone
else in the blind chess community, and the atmosphere is not quite as charged
as it is in other national events."

Of the ten participants this year, only I and Texan Jeff Siebrandt are
partially-sighted. Jeff has won the tournament five times and is rated 1900. We
played in round two:

Slav Defense, Exchange Variation (D13)
Jessica Lauser (1632)
Jeff Siebrandt (1900)
2007 U.S. Blind Championship
Round 2, 6/22/07

1. c4 Nf6 2. g3 c6 3. Nc3

More flexible is 3. Bg2.

3. ... d5 4. cxd5 cxd5 5. d4 Nc6 6. Bg2 e6 7. Nf3 Be7 8. Ne5

I prefer 8. 0-0.

8. ... Nxe5 9. dxe5 Nd7 10. f4 Qb6

Black's queen is now very well placed, preventing castling and eyeing the
b-pawn.

11. e3 0-0 12. 0-0 Bc5 13. Re1

This takes the rook off of the f-file, where it belongs in supporting a
kingside attack. Black is slightly better at this point.

13. ... Bb4 14. Qb3 Nc5

This looks like it loses a tempo, but actually, Black's knight blocks a retreat
for the bishop.

15. Qd1 Bd7 16. f5!?

Launching kingside action.

16. ... Bxc3 17. bxc3 exf5 18. Bxd5 Bc6 19. c4 Rfd8

White should have traded rather than allowing this uncomfortable pin.

20. Qf3 g6 21. Ba3 Ne4! 22. Red1 Bxd5 23. cxd5 Qa5

This wins a pawn and the placement of the black knight maintains Black's
advantage.

24. Bb2 Rxd5 25. Bd4 Rc8 26. Qf4

An immediate 26. Rc1 would give White a better chance at counterplay.

26. ... Qd8 27. g4

This comes one move too late, as Black's next move leaves White in a real bind.

27. ... Ng5

At this point, Jeff rolled his eyes and quipped, "It's just a move, I'm not
threatening anything ..."

28. Kf1 Ne6 29. Qg3 Nxd4 30. exd4 Rxd4

Now that Black has won a second pawn, the game plays itself.

31. Rxd4 Qxd4 32. Re1 Qxg4

Now, Black is a full three pawns ahead. However, I battle on.

33. Qf2 b6 34. Qd2 Qc4+ 35. Kg1 Qc3 36. Qd1 Re8 37. Qe2 Qd4+ 38. Kf1 Qf4+ 39.
Kg2 Qg4+ 40. Qxg4 fxg4 41. Kg3 f6 42. e6 Kf8 43. Kxg4 Ke7 44. h4 Rc8 45. Re2
Rc4+ 46. Kg3 f5 47. Kh3 b5 48. Kg3 b4 49. Re5 Rc6 50. Ra5 a6 51. Kf4 Kxe6 52.
Kg5 Kf7 53. Kh6 f4 54. Rd5 f3 55. Kxh7 f2 56. Rd1 Rf6 57. Rf1 a5 58. Kh6 Rf5,
White resigned.

Threatening mate in one, and forcing White to give up her rook. The rest is
silence.

At this point in my career, I was not quite ready to beat someone this strong
in a key game. "Wait until next year!"

Jeff went on to win his third round against Agan Hajric and claimed his sixth
U.S. Blind Championship title upon drawing with fellow six-time U.S. Blind
Champion Alexander Barrasso in the final round. Alex had lost a prior game to
Agan Hajric, who finished tied with me for second place. (I got the third place
trophy on tiebreaks and $250!)

One of my roommates, Virginia Alverson, was awarded the Clayton Walker Memorial
Upset Trophy for her third round win against Dick McStraw, who outrated her by
242 points. (My other "roommate" nuzzled me in the middle of the night with a
cold nose. Of course, this was Ginny's guide-dog, Watkins, who was one of three
along for the event.)

The number of local helpers and supporters of this tournament is too great to
name them all, but, led by dynamo Rick,  the whole community came together to
make this even possible. .

Many thanks to the following tournament helpers: Ian Edinger, Taira Gainer
(2005); Greyson Caplinger, Mikala Bonner, Angie Broschart (2005, 2006); Ashley
Durnal, Lea Hinkle, Cody Bennett, Sean Parli, and Chelesi White (2005, 2006,
2007). The following were new helpers in 2007: James White and Andrew Cox. All
these students are from Elkins, West Virginia High School except for Durnal
(Philip Barbour H.S.) and James White (Elkins, WV Middle School).

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/7949/365
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.