Guide dog aided trail hiker in 1990

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:25:42 -0400

Minneapolis Star Tribune, MN, USA
Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Guide dog aided trail hiker in 1990

Last update: October 09, 2007 - 4:42 PM

When Mike Hanson sets out to solo-hike the Appalachian Trail in March, he will
begin an expedition many might deem impossible. But in 1990, a blind man from
North Carolina, Bill Irwin, completed that very feat, hiking the entire trail
with his guide dog, Orient.

Irwin averaged 12 miles a day, hiking almost nonstop from March 9 to Nov. 21.
He hiked up to 18 hours straight some days to make a camp, wearing a headlamp
so that his guide dog could see.

"One advantage of being blind is that you can hike at night no problem," Irwin
said.

Irwin did not use a GPS device, relying instead on audio cassette tapes that
described each mile of the trail. The guide dog alerted him to rocks and
low-hanging branches.

Along the route, Irwin battled floods, ice storms and blizzards. He cracked a
rib in a fall. He once was swept downstream while crossing a whitewater river,
losing his dog temporarily.

"I had to pull on the boulders underwater to move my way across," he said. But
the toughest part of the trek was mental: "I tell people the hardest part was 4
inches. I mean that 4 inches between your right ear and your left."

After his expedition, Irwin wrote a book and became a professional speaker, but
not until after a long break. "I literally stayed on a couch eating, drinking
and sleeping for three weeks once it was over," he said.

STEPHEN REGENOLD

http://www.startribune.com/1244/story/1473673.html
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.