Guide Dog Helps Salina College Student

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 20:48:17 -0400

KBSD Kansas, USA
Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Guide Dog Helps Salina College Student

By Tracy Crockett

Starting college can be hard for anyone, but imagine going to class and not
being able to see.

Anna Hindman looks like your average college student, only her dog Kuvu joins
her in class.

Hindman says, "He helps me so I don't get lost."

That's because she is partially blind.   She lost started loosing her eyesight
at age 14.

Hindman has a eye disease called RP, it takes away her peripheral vision, she
can only see directly in front of her, she says it's like looking through the
opposite end of a pair of binoculars.  But despite her disability it hasn't
stopped her from attending classes at Kansas Wesleyan University in Salina.

"They have enlarged tests to 20 point font and I can read that."

"Even though I get extra time I start working on things when their assigned and
I turn my homework in the same time everyone else does."

Kuvu is a big part of her college experience.   He leads her everywhere she
needs to go.

"I go all over campus, just like everybody else, just a different way."

While his job is to get her around safely, Hindman says Kuvu does much more.

"He helps me with my balance, and he's a companion."

"I don't know what I'd do without him."

Doctors say there is no cure for the RP.  Hindman could have the same vision
for the rest of her life or could lose her eyesight altogether.  But despite
the uncertainty, she plans to major in english and become a college english
professor.

http://www.kbsd6.com/Global/story.asp?S=7228936
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.