City declares October disability month

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 21:02:44 -0400

The Colonnade, Georgia State College & University, GA
Thursday, October 04, 2007

City declares October disability month

By Chelsea Thomas, Staff Writer

Issue date: 10/5/07 Section: Campus News

Extract: "...Brandi Baggett will be speaking in the Museum Education room on
Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 1 p.m. Baggett is a GCSU graduate a Master of Science
degree in Mental Health Counseling at Fort Valley State University. She is a
quadruplet who has been legally blind since birth. Her story will surely be
powerful and bona fide."

Monday, Oct. 1 Mayor Richard Bentley signed a city proclamation declaring
October as Disability Awareness Month for the city of Milledgeville. After
members of the community brought the idea to City Council, it was supported and
accepted as an important addition to the public. GCSU is encouraging the new
change with numerous events scattered throughout October.
     Dr. John Williams, retired director of Region 6 of the Georgia Department
of Labor Vocational Rehabilitation Program and former president of Georgia
Rehabilitation Services, came to address GCSU on Wednesday, Oct. 3. However, if
students missed Williams, there are many other powerful speakers coming to
discuss issues from living with disabilities, to the advancements made in
modern medicine, and medical practices that affect those disabled.
     Recognizing those with disabilities has hit home for some students.
     "(This) is important because disabled students add an important diversity
to campus," freshman Audrey Reiner said.
     Another student, Heather Luyk agreed.
     "I think it's good to spread awareness of things like this to better
understand those with disabilities," Luyk said.
     Some students on campus with family and friends that are disabled will
find the month especially meaningful.
     Two guest speakers that will be coming are actually disabled themselves.
Tuesday, Oct. 16 Eric Krug will be coming to share his story of how he was
disabled in an alcohol-related auto accident. Yet, Krug won't be telling his
story himself. His mother's voice will be speaking for him. He will be at A&S
Auditorium at 7 p.m. The following week, Brandi Baggett will be speaking in the
Museum Education room on Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 1 p.m. Baggett is a GCSU
graduate a Master of Science degree in Mental Health Counseling at Fort Valley
State University. She is a quadruplet who has been legally blind since birth.
Her story will surely be powerful and bona fide.
     For particular students who have never known someone who is disabled, this
month could mean as little as the recent Constitution week. Yet, this is
important and relevant to us all in our daily lives. Disabilities are real
factors in the lives of our community members and it is vital to our
understanding of one another, as well as to the spirit of kinship in the city.
It is essential to support the parts of society of which we all interconnect.
     "I think it helps everyone understand that people with disabilities are
people too," Bell hall resident Carrie Burks said.   "People that are blind are
not just 'people that are blind' and those in wheelchairs should not be known
as 'the people in wheel chairs'."
     This month will recognize achievements made by those that are disabled.
     On Oct. 30 at 10:30 a.m., founding executive director of Disability
Connections Jerelyn Leverett will be coming to share about her practices and
involvement with disabilities. She has a form of muscular dystrophy called
Charcot-Marie Tooth, and, with her husband, she plans to speak in regard of
Disability Awareness Month.
     Overall, October will be a month paving a way for the understanding of
disabilities and their effect in our lives. Alix Erola-Rebellato, freshman at
GCSU, sums Disability Awareness up by saying, "It is important so as not to be
ignorant to your fellow man."

http://media.www.gcsunade.com/media/storage/paper299/news/2007/10/05/CampusNews/City-Declares.October.Disability.Month-3012728.shtml
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.