Best time for blind marathon athlete

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 22:19:39 -0400

I C Newcastle (UK)
Sunday, October 07, 2007

Best time for blind marathon athlete

By Pauline Holt, Sunday Sun

BLIND runner Joe Elsender has raised £1500 after successfully completing the
Great North Run in two hours and 18 minutes.

And he said it was all down to his new running partner Angie Watson, 29, who
had spurred him on to achieving his best time since losing his sight.

The Great North Run was part of a three-race challenge for Joe.

Earlier this year, he ran the 10km Blaydon Race in Newcastle in 53 minutes, the
Darlington 10km run in 58 minutes, and then the big one last Sunday.

Joe, from Chester-le- Street, said: "I'm really grateful to everyone who
sponsored me.

"It means I can hand a £1000 cheque to the County Durham Society for the Blind
and Partially Sighted and £500 to the St Dunstan's charity for blind
ex-servicemen and women."

Joe, who will be 70 next year, is deciding whether to apply to run next year's
Great North half marathon. He said: "It will be my 20th Great North Run, so
everyone is egging me on to do it."

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/sundaysun/ukandworld/tm_headline=best-time-for-blind-marathon-athlete%26method=full%26objectid=19908414%26siteid=50081-name_page.html
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.