[blindcooks] Re: Sourdough

  • From: "Jonathan Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 21:27:42 -0700

I know I have asked this question before, but do you have any kind of sighted assistance at all? Even if it's the type discussed recently on list where you can make a phone call and get help? Because I don't know how to help you to know when the starter is ready to use. As far as how much starter it takes to make a one pound loaf of bread, I do not know for sure. Most of the loaves of sourdough I made weighed in at around two pounds after baking, so I imagine most of those recipes could be cut in half, or, you could make two loaves that each weigh a pound and then freeze one. Sourdough in particular does freeze quite well. It's not just rye flour you want, but dark rye or pumpernickel flour. The bran and the germ are what attract the microbes in the air that you want in your starter. For a sighted person, you can tell when the starter is ready when the top appears to have risen and looks full of bubbles. It will also have a particular aroma. I am sure some out there would say to just feel it with a finger, but I generally wouldn't advise that, or if you had to, just be sure your hands are as clean as you know how to get them. Abnother tip I'll give you is that if you don't want to feed the starter every day, you can refrigerate it for up to a week between feedings. As for freezing, again, maybe there are folks out there that will say you can, but it's not something I would do. Discarded starter can supposedly be used in some recipes to provide flavor, but the one recipe I used it in, did not turn out well and had an unpleasant flavor. I'll see if I can get some yeast in bulk for you and perhaps mail it to you if you like.
  Jon

-----Original Message----- From: Rob Hudson
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2020 12:07 PM
To: blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [blindcooks] Re: Sourdough

When do you know when the starter is ready for use?And how much do you use per 8x4 (or one pound) loaf?
I just happen to have rye flour somewhere. I'm not sure where I hid it, but it's around here in a box. As for this discarded starter can you freeze it and use to start other batches?
From: "Jonathan Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxx>
To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 15:10:06 -0700