[blindcooks] Recent new recipe trials

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blind Cooks List" <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 16:30:48 -0800

Hi everyone:
     I know I haven't been very involved with the list over the past week or
two, but as of today, the bulk of the work, preparation, and cleaning are all
behind me.  With all the leftovers we have, I gave myself the day off cooking
today.  As much as I love to cook, I have enjoyed the time to spend on other
things I've been putting off.  I thought I'd share my recent experiences with
two new recipes I made this month.  The first one is a dish I made mention of
in an earlier post, that being a chili recipe made in my slow cooker.   This
recipe came from the only cookbook I have that deals with slow cookers, and
this chili recipe was a pretty basic and straightforward one as chilies go.
The preparation began, as so many of the recipes in this book do, by cooking a
mixture of garlic, onion, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, and maybe another
ingredient or two I can't quite remember at the moment.  While that cooked
down, I soaked some bread with a bit of milk to make a thick paste, which I
then worked into the ground beef.  When the onion mixture had cooked down, I
added the meat mixture and broke it up as it cooked like I would normally do
with ground beef.  This went into the slow cooker with tomato puree and crushed
tomatoes and cooked for about 8 hours I think.  The resulting chili was
delicious with just the right level of heat and tons of flavor.  Unfortunately,
Emily woke up that morning with one of the worst cases of stomach flu I have
ever seen, and she couldn't eat anything at all that day.  But, the silver
lining was that we  had it for dinner the next night, and many people,
including myself, feel that chili gets better if eaten the next day.  We had
some of the leftovers a few days later over baked potatoes, which we topped
with cheese and sour cream, and jalapenos for me.  The rest of the leftovers
are in the freezer waiting for a day in the near future when they'll be needed.
 The second new recipe I made was for hot wings, also made in the slow cooker,
and from the same book as the chili recipe I made.  These were to be part of a
dinner with many different finger food and snack options.  The wings were
tossed with a spice mixture of chili powder, paprika, and cayenne, then, I made
a sauce of Buffalo hot sauce, butter, and a touch of cider vinegar.  I poured
about a half cup of this sauce over the wings and let them cook on low for
about 4 hours.  I then strained off the liquid, set the wings on a foil-lined
broiler rack bottom, and brushed some of the remaining sauce.  These went under
the broiler for about 10 minutes, then the wings were turned over, brushed with
more sauce, and broiled a bit longer.  The result was pretty good, but next
time I'll make a bit more sauce as I like my wings to have a thick coating of
sauce when I sit down to enjoy them.  Still, they were good, and I look forward
to improving on the recipe to see just how much better I can make them turn
out.   Jon