[blindcooks] Fw: Beef Stroganoff

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blind Cooks List" <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 10:42:56 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Jan Bailey
To: Jon Rawlings
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2013 2:08 PM
Subject: Beef Stroganoff

Beef Stroganoff
FromAmerica's Test Kitchen Slowcooker Revolution: One Test Kitchen. 30 Slow
Cookers. 200 Amazing Recipes

Author:America'S Test Kitchen

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS: To make sure our slow-cooker version of beef stroganoff
delivered tender beef in a meaty mushroom sauce, we started by getting out our
skillet and browning the mushrooms to concentrate their flavor, augmenting them
with dried porcini mushrooms for an even deeper mushroom flavor that wouldn't
be muted by hours in a slow cooker. Then, since we had our skillet out to brown
the mushrooms, we sauteed the aromatics and created a flour-thickened base for
the stew to produce the proper consistency. With such a flavorful base, we
didn't need to brown the meat but could add it directly to the slow cooker--a
real timesaver. Serve with Buttered Egg Noodles.

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 1/2 pounds white mushrooms, trimmed and halved if small or quartered if large

Salt and pepper

3 onions, minced

1/4 cup tomato paste

6 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced

1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed

1/2 cup dry white wine

1/2 cup soy sauce

2 bay leaves

1 (4-pound) boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
(see page 59)

1/3 cup sour cream

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons minced fresh dill

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cover, and cook until mushrooms are
softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook until mushrooms are dry
and browned, 5 to 10 minutes longer; transfer to slow cooker.

2. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet over medium-high heat until
shimmering. Add onions, tomato paste, garlic, porcini, and thyme and cook until
onions are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in flour and
cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in broth, scraping up any browned bits and
smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.

3. Stir wine, soy sauce, and bay leaves into slow cooker. Season beef with salt
and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9
to 11 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high.

4. Let stew settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large
spoon. Discard bay leaves. In bowl, combine 1 cup hot stew liquid with sour
cream and Dijon (to temper), then stir mixture into stew. (Adjust stew
consistency with additional hot broth as needed. ) Stir in dill, season with
salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

BUTTERED EGG NOODLES

Cook 1 pound egg noodles in salted boiling water, drain, and toss with 2
tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 6 to 8.

64

database 7990 (20130209) __________

http://www.eset.com