[blindcooks] Re: Baking Meatballs

  • From: M and L Dorn <marilyn.larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 00:12:09 -0800

Thanks, John. I finally found a note for 400 degrees for 20 minutes for 1.5 ounce meatballs. I have a cookie sheet type pan with holes in it already. I was thinking about setting that on top of a rack in a jelly roll pan. My only concern was if the fat would be too much for the pan, but I am using 90 percent lean ground beef. We're making spaghetti sauce; and with so many to cook, I thought the baking would be much easier than pan browning

Thanks again for your timely advice...
Marilyn

At 11:58 PM 12/30/2013, you wrote:
Marilyn:
I don't know if there is a set, specific time and temperature for browning meatballs in the oven, but if it were me making the meatballs and had no guidelines to follow, I'd say to bake them at 400 to 425 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes. If you happen to have wire cooling racks, like I do, I suggest wrapping each of the racks in foil, poking holes in the foil, then placing them over rimmed cookie sheets. Place your meatballs on the racks and bake them as suggested above. The reason for that kind of a setup is to allow the fat from the meatballs to drain away. I do the same thing when I make meatloaf. Not only does the fat have a place to go, but all sides get better browning and the glaze sets up better on the sides than it would in a loaf pan. Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "M and L Dorn" <marilyn.larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 3:59 PM
Subject: [blindcooks] Baking Meatballs

Does anyone have the time and temperature for browning a lot of meatballs in the oven instead of in a fry pan, having to keep turning them, and making several batches?
I'm making meatballs out of 5 pounds of hamburger with the usual additions.

Thanks!
Marilyn