[blindchristian] New post on HPN Quest for Truth 31 Being Ambassadors For Christ, An Interview With Greg Koukl

  • From: Keith Heltsley <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 21:28:32 -0500

New post on HPN

<http://podcast.heltsley.net/?author=2>
Quest for Truth 31 Being Ambassadors For Christ, An Interview With Greg Koukl
<http://podcast.heltsley.net/2015/quest-for-truth-31-being-ambassadors-for-christ-an-interview-with-greg-koukl/>by
keith <http://podcast.heltsley.net/?author=2>
Get caught up with the hosts with a report of doctor visits, and the
alternative to aging. Nathan has adventures with computer upgrades, and bugs in
his system. We talk about our favorite podcast that isn't our own, and a meet
up that Keith had with James Kennisoon of That Story Show. <>
We have a little overlapping updates with the Alive and Still Married
<http://podcast.heltsley.net/shows/alive-and-still-married/> podcast when Keith
gives a Robin update. Keith tells about good reports from his doctor visit,
losing weight, but why did the doc make so many follow up appointments?

The Skype call goes through, and we're priveledged to get Greg Koukl on the
line. Nathan asks him about his testimony, about how he came to be a Christian.
He also shares about his ministry through his radio show, books, and
information that can all be found at Stand to Reason <http://www.str.org/>
Equipping Christian Ambassadors with Knowledge, Wisdom, and Character. You'll
find regular blog articles on apologetics there.

Educate yourself there with such current topics and articles on:

When the Problem of Evil Gets Personal

Be a Student of Your Craft
Does God Judge Nations through Weather Phenomenon?
Don’t Trust God to Protect You from Pain
The Resurrection Was a Real Event in History
A Clever Tactic to Take on Tough Questions
And more.
We get into topics that are found in Greg Koukl's book, like what he calls the
Columbo method. What does he mean by that? It's OK to approach someone about
sharing the Gospel, but it's also OK to walk away from a person if it means
bruising the relationship with them.

How did Greg develop his simple method of asking questions to grow a productive
conversation with someone? Its an easy way to uncover what another person
believes, or discover tender spotss to avoid where that person may be resentful
of. The point is to engage others in conversation.

The tactics he talks about in his book are things that anybody can do, and not
be confrontational about it. It takes a little practice at observation, and
listening. No qualifications, or credentials are needed as a professional
debater to take the pressure off, and just talk with someone. Sometimes people
will still hang a label on you, and we talk about how to respond to that.

Sometimes people hide behind slogans, or sound bites from the culture that they
live in as arguments for their belief. Is there any slogans, or party line
statements that Christians fall back on, and should probably avoid? Greg's
answer may shock you! But don't wory, he offers alternatives. Learn a little
about his idea on avoiding religious buzz words. The Christian still needs to
know what he believes, and why, then paraphrase those ideas into language that
his listener can understand. How do you know how to phrase in a way your
listener can understand? Because you took the time using the Columbo
questioning method to learn about them, and what makes sense to them.

The concept of "putting a stone in a shoe" is described. It makes it OK to walk
away from a discussion where resistance is met. Not every conversation has to
end with the person coming to know Christ. It's OK to not even get close to the
gospel. Just planting a seed for the person to think about, a stone in the shoe
to create a point of discomfort to start the mind thinking.

Being a good Ambassador for Christ means to first understand who you're talking
to, their needs, and be tactful and compassionate in responding to them.

Want to know more? Greg shares ways to find his books online. Print bookes can
be purchased through his web site, or if digital books are your thing, books
are available as an ebook, or in audible form from iTunes and Audible. Don't
forget to check out his radio show on American Family Radio (AFR), or the
podcast feeds on his web site that are derived from his shows.

Now it's your turn. If you're not already there, why not visit the HPN home
page and leave us a comment? Drop us a line by email, twitter, or any of the
ways we share at the end of every ppodcast.

keith <http://podcast.heltsley.net/?author=2> | August 28, 2015 at 10:02 am |
Categories: Quest for Truth
<http://podcast.heltsley.net/?taxonomy=category&term=quest-for-truth> | URL:
http://wp.me/p5uvFj-3S <http://wp.me/p5uvFj-3S>