[blindchristian] Mention the Name, November 7, 2015

  • From: "Victoria E Gilkerson" <vegilkerson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 07:20:31 -0600

<http://odb.org/2015/11/30?calendar-redirect=true&post-type=post> 30

Mention the Name

Read: <http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+4%3A5-20> Acts
4:5-20 | Bible in a Year:
<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+40%E2%80%9342%3B+Hebre
ws+4> Jeremiah 40-42; Hebrews 4

Audio Player

00:00

<javascript:void(0);> Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease
volume.

00:00

<http://odb.org/wp-content/themes/odbm-base/assets/download.php?file=http://
cdn.rbc.org/odb/2015/11/odb-11-07-15.mp3> Download MP3

<http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=383323406>
Subscribe to iTunes

I am in the Father, and . . . the Father is in me.

<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+14%3A10>

<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+14%3A10> John 14:10

A church group invited a speaker to address their meeting. "Talk about God,"
the group leader told him, "but leave out Jesus."

"Why?" the man asked, taken aback.

"Well," the leader explained, "some of our prominent members feel
uncomfortable with Jesus. Just use God and we'll be fine."

Accepting such instructions, however, was a problem for the speaker who said
later, "Without Jesus, I have no message."

Something similar was asked of followers of Jesus in the days of the early
church. Local religious leaders conferred together to warn the disciples not
to speak about Jesus (Acts 4:17). But the disciples knew better. "We cannot
help speaking about what we have seen and heard," they said (v. 20).

To claim to believe in God and not in His Son Jesus Christ is a
contradiction in terms. In John 10:30, Jesus clearly describes the unique
relationship between Himself and God: "I and the Father are one"-thus
establishing His deity. That is why He could say, "You believe in God;
believe also in me" (John 14:1). Paul knew that Jesus is the very nature of
God and equal with God (Phil. 2:6).

We need not shy away from the name Jesus, for "salvation is found in no one
else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we
must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

Jesus, You are God. Thank You for showing Yourself to us in the Bible and in
our lives. You have done so much for us. Help us to share with others what
we know of You and have experienced of You.

The name of Jesus is at the heart of our faith and our hope.

By <http://odb.org/author/lawrencedarmani/> Lawrence Darmani |
<http://odb.org/all-authors/> See Other Authors

.
<http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/?share=facebook&nb=1&nb=1&nb=1>
Facebook5K+

.
<http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Mention+the+Name&url=http://odb.org/iB
n/> Twitter150

.
<http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/?share=email&nb=1&nb=1&nb=1>
Email

. <http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/#print> Print

.
<whatsapp://send?text=Our%20Daily%20Bread:%20Mention%20the%20Name%20http:/od
b.org/iBn/> WhatsApp

.

Our Daily Bread Topics: <http://odb.org/category/christian-beliefs/christ/>
Christ <http://odb.org/category/christian-beliefs/christ/deity/> Deity of
Christ

Tags: <http://odb.org/tag/jesus/> Jesus, <http://odb.org/tag/jesus-deity/>
Jesus' deity, <http://odb.org/tag/salvation/> salvation,
<http://odb.org/tag/savior/> Savior

You can make a difference.

Even the smallest donation helps reach people around the world with the
life-changing wisdom of the Bible.

<http://ourdailybread.org/donate/> Donate

Today's Shareable Image

<http://odb.org/shareable/share-odb-2015-11-07-2/> Read More

http://cdn.odb.org/files/share-odb-2015-11-07.jpg

Today's Shareable Video

<http://odb.org/video/something-new/>
http://cdn.odb.org/files/somethingnew.jpg

1.
http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/c492c193994a72f9e429c21c17a0d7b1?s=60&d=mm&r=g

tsmith63on
<http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/comment-page-1/#comment-250651>
November 7, 2015 at 11:59 am

Thanks to all who share and extend the devotion each day. Expressing truth
and explaining more of what we read from Gods word. My devotional time each
day went from just a few minutes each day up until a couple years ago. I am
now 50 and spend a... Thanks to all who share and extend the devotion each
day. Expressing truth and explaining more of what we read from Gods word. My
devotional time each day went from just a few minutes each day up until a
couple years ago. I am now 50 and spend at least 30 to 60 minutes in the
Bible each morning at around 5:30 am. This has changed my life and I wish I
had spent time with my savior each day previous to now. Maybe I would not
have had to go through such grief these past couple years. Happily I have
come through a storm of all storms in my life and in two years God has
changed my life to complete joy now and his blessings have multiplied in my
life daily. I have lost much in two years but what I have gained because of
my close walk with Jesus is well worth what I lost and would not change my
life now because of the joy God has put in my life and heart. To all that
have hurt or loss or grief beyond what you think you can bare, just trust
Christ even when you think you cant, He will see you through when you trust
and pray, and grow close by staying in His word.

<http://odb.org/> See More

<http://odb.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fodb.org%2F2015%2F11%2F
07%2Fmention-the-name%2F> Log in to Reply

2.
http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/fe4054121acab0a18cb37b523b6abaa8?s=60&d=mm&r=g

Swordchiefon
<http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/comment-page-1/#comment-250606>
November 7, 2015 at 10:12 am

John 10:30
I and my Father are one. KJV

John 17:11
And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to
thee.
Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me,
that they may be one, as we are. KJV

John 17:22
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them;
that they may be one, even as we are one: KJV

These two verses tell us what Jesus meant in John 10:30.

"THAT THEY MAY BE ONE, EVEN AS WE ARE ONE."
Peter could not be John, John could not be Peter, but they could be
one just as Jesus and The FATHER are one, in unity of purpose, and love.

John 17:20-21
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on
me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that
they also may be one in us: that
the world may believe that thou hast sent me. KJV

"THAT THEY ALSO MAY BE ONE IN US." What a privilege, what a promise.

Jesus is deity, he is divine.

Strong's concordance, Greek word for God - Theos can be used either of two
ways "a deity" or "the supreme Divinity"
NT:2316 God
theos (theh'-os); of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with NT:3588)
the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very

The following two verse should be taken into account when understanding what
Jesus was telling the Jews in verse 30 -33.
John 10:34-35
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture
cannot be broken; KJV

Jesus was telling the Jews what is said in Psalms 82:6-7.

Psalms 82:6-7
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes. KJV

OT:430 God / Gods
'elohiym (el-o-heem'); plural of OT:433; gods in the ordinary sense;
but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of
the supreme God;
occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a
superlative

be blessed

<http://odb.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fodb.org%2F2015%2F11%2F
07%2Fmention-the-name%2F> Log in to Reply

3.
http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/ffeceba6d98e0526f8a225756d97fda1?s=60&d=mm&r=g

olorundarebjon
<http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/comment-page-1/#comment-250604>
November 7, 2015 at 9:54 am

Dear Lawrence, This is powerful. I mean it's POWERFUL. The Lord Jesus gives
you more utterances of HIS words.

<http://odb.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fodb.org%2F2015%2F11%2F
07%2Fmention-the-name%2F> Log in to Reply

4.
http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/736a380f973e823d47dfa866eb3b2416?s=60&d=mm&r=g

elderoyon
<http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/comment-page-1/#comment-250600>
November 7, 2015 at 9:36 am

"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they
were uneducated and untrained men, they marvelled. And they realized that
they had been with Jesus"

The evidence of the reality of the living Jesus lay in recognising that the
disciples were able to speak and act in a way that the learned Pharisees and
leaders just did not expect of such 'lowly uneducated' men.

In exactly the same vein as my comment yesterday, people around us DO see
the change and growth in our lives because of Jesus. Isn't it interesting
that modern day Pharisees, of whom we know some perhaps even in our
churches, will project a holiness by the constant reference to God, but
sadly the name of Jesus will rarely, if ever, cross their lips. What is the
value in claiming to know God if we don't acknowledge Christ as Lord in our
lives .... after all, doesn't satan know God?!!

Heavenly Father fill us with your Holy Spirit that we may act and speak in
ways that the world just does not expect from lowly sinners.

My Love to the Forum Fellowship. My prayers too for those with needs only
known to themselves and the Saviour, that God Our Father will intervene, and
that the Comforter, His Holy Spirit will be ever present.

Roy

<http://odb.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fodb.org%2F2015%2F11%2F
07%2Fmention-the-name%2F> Log in to Reply

1.
http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/d3f00454cd1fe4505793bffb3c4759f5?s=60&d=mm&r=g

northernbrother22on
<http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/comment-page-1/#comment-250659>
November 7, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Thank-you brother for the devotional ,spiritual and touching news as I am
following the good news each day for I cannot live without it anymore trying
to be a christian and learning it is hard at times God Bless.

<http://odb.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fodb.org%2F2015%2F11%2F
07%2Fmention-the-name%2F> Log in to Reply

5.
http://2.gravatar.com/avatar/57d52a565de6e47163a0c510ca7e8ced?s=60&d=mm&r=g

tid lavenderon
<http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/comment-page-1/#comment-250593>
November 7, 2015 at 6:32 am

No Jesus, no Gospel. Simple as that

<http://odb.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fodb.org%2F2015%2F11%2F
07%2Fmention-the-name%2F> Log in to Reply

6.
http://2.gravatar.com/avatar/215e138901ea3c147ee4fa41125f12c0?s=60&d=mm&r=g

shilsilaon
<http://odb.org/2015/11/07/mention-the-name/comment-page-1/#comment-250590>
November 7, 2015 at 4:53 am

Dear Lawrence, Thank you so much to bring up such a challenging and truthful
topic today. It is rather heart breaking according to the passage above that
being in the family of Christ (Church in above story) denying to proclaim
the truth in His name.... Dear Lawrence, Thank you so much to bring up such
a challenging and truthful topic today. It is rather heart breaking
according to the passage above that being in the family of Christ (Church in
above story) denying to proclaim the truth in His name. As the matter of
fact, Paul in his truthful knowledge already assured us the very nature of
Jesus as God in Phil. 2:6. Henceforth I would profoundly agreed with Paul
and my understanding of God will always be with Jesus. Also thank you once
again Lawrence for your encouragement and providing the knowledge of true
nature of God in Jesus. Amen.

<http://odb.org/> See More

<http://odb.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fodb.org%2F2015%2F11%2F
07%2Fmention-the-name%2F> Log in to Reply

By submitting your comment, you agree to comply with the
<http://odb.org/comment-guidelines> Comment Guidelines

Leave a Reply <http://odb.org/#respond> Cancel Reply

You must be
<http://odb.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fodb.org%2F2015%2F11%2F
07%2Fmention-the-name%2F> logged in to post a comment.

SUBSCRIBE NOW to get the Our Daily Bread daily email.

Top of Form

Email (required)

First Name (required, at least 1 character)

Last Name (required, at least 1 character)

Send me Our Daily Bread daily email

Subscribe!

Bottom of Form

Subscribe

*
*
*
*

<http://ourdailybread.org/> logo

Our mission is to make the life-changing wisdom of the Bible understandable
and accessible to all.

Our vision is to see people of all nations experiencing a personal
relationship with Christ, growing to be more like Him, and serving in a
local body of His family.

Daily

. <http://odb.org/> Our Daily Bread

. <http://ourdailyjourney.org/> Our Daily Journey