[blindchristian] For Our Health, February 2, 2015

  • From: "Victoria E Gilkerson" <vegilkerson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 14:37:19 -0600

If you are unable to see the message below, click here to view.

For Our Health

February 2, 2015

Oh, give thanks to the Lord! -1 Chronicles 16:8

Read: 1 Chronicles 16:7-14

Bible in a Year: Exodus 29-30; Matthew 21:23-46

According to a prominent Duke University Medical Center researcher, "If
thankfulness were a drug, it would be the world's best-selling product with
[health benefits] for every major organ system."

For some, being thankful means simply living with a sense of
gratitude-taking time to recognize and focus on the things we have, instead
of the things we wish we had. The Bible takes the idea of thankfulness to a
deeper level. The act of giving thanks causes us to recognize the One who
provides our blessings (James 1:17).

David knew that God was responsible for the safe delivery of the ark of the
covenant in Jerusalem (1 Chron. 15:26). As a result, he penned a song of
gratitude that centered on God instead of simply expressing his delight in
an important event. The ballad began: "Oh, give thanks to the Lord! Call
upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples!" (16:8). David's song
went on to rejoice in God's greatness, highlighting God's salvation,
creative power, and mercy (vv.25-36).

Today we can be truly thankful by worshiping the Giver instead of the gifts
we enjoy. Focusing on the good things in our lives may benefit our bodies,
but directing our thanks to God benefits our souls.

-Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Gratitude is our natural response to God's grace.

Nothing so takes the heart out of a person as

ingratitude. Gratitude is not only the greatest of

virtues, but the parent of all the others. -Cicero

True thanksgiving emphasizes the Giver rather than the gifts.

INSIGHT: The ark of the covenant, the symbol of God's covenant and presence
with His people (Ex. 25:17-22), was neglected by Saul and left abandoned in
the Benjamite town of Kirjath Jearim for 20 years (1 Sam. 7:2). After David
became king, one of the first things he did was to bring the ark back to
Jerusalem (1 Chron. 13:3-14; 15:1-28; 2 Sam. 6:1-3). To commemorate the
ark's return, David composed a song of worship celebrating God's presence
and exalting God's power (1 Chron. 16:8-36). Asaph (v.7) was one of David's
three music directors (see 1 Chron. 25:1) who sounded the bronze cymbals as
the ark was moved into Jerusalem (15:16-19).

Share your thoughts on today's devotional on Facebook or odb.org.

You can make a difference.

Even the smallest donation helps reach people around the world with the
life-changing wisdom of the Bible.

DONATE

Share With Your Friends

Featured Video

Our mission is to make the life-changing wisdom of the Bible understandable
and accessible to all.

Our vision is to see people of all nations experiencing a personal
relationship with Christ, growing to be more like Him, and serving in a
local body of His family.

To read today's Our Daily Bread online visit www.odb.org.

Copyright C 2015, Our Daily Bread Ministries, Grand Rapids, MI 49555 USA.
Written permission must be obtained from Our Daily Bread Ministries for any
further posting or distribution.

Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright C 1982 by Thomas
Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Unsubscribe

Victoria E Gilkerson