blind_html [Fwd: [btt] Fw: [vipnews] 'Blind' girl has her first driving lesson]

  • From: Nimer <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 07:18:10 -0700

Subject:        [btt] Fw: [vipnews] 'Blind' girl has her first driving lesson
Date:   Thu, 5 Mar 2009 08:27:15 -0500
From:   Jeffrey Shockley, School Laptop Edition <jawswizard@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     <blind-teen-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Skype:
jawswizard
----- Original Message -----
From:<editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:<vipnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:25 PM

Metro (UK)

'Blind' girl has her first driving lesson
Monday, February 16, 2009

CAPTION: Macie Morse goes for a spin after school with mother Rochelle

A 'blind' teenager has driven for the first time after stem cell treatment
improved her sight.
Macie Morse, 16, was born legally blind but has now gained her learner
driver permit – just like any
other US teenager.
'It was one of the most exciting times of my entire 16 years,' said the
student.
She suffered optic nerve hypoplasia, in which the nerve transmitting visual
signals to the brain is
underdeveloped.
She had 20/4,000 vision in one eye, meaning she could see at 6m (20ft) what
the normal eye can see
at 1,220m (4,000ft).
In the other, the girl could only perceive light.
But then her mother, Rochelle, found out on the web about a stem cell
injection in China.
Just ten people have had the £28,000 treatment.
In July last year, Macie spent six weeks receiving spinal injections of cord
blood stem cells. After
her third treatment, she said she could read.
Macie now has 20/80 vision in one eye and 20/400-plus in the other.
'I always wondered what it would be like to see my friends,' said the girl,
who lives in Fort
Collins, Colorado.

SOURCE
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Blind_girl_has_her_first_driving_lesson&in_article_id=539502&in_page_id=34

Nimer M. Jaber

it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review,
reliance
upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender via reply
e-mail, and delete the
material from any computer.

Website:
http://www.empowertheblind.org