[blind-philly-comp] From the Windows 10 and JAWS Mailing List: Tutorial on Using the Mail, People, and Calendar Apps.

  • From: David Goldfield <david.goldfield@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blind-philly-comp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <blind-philly-comp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:29:23 -0500

I haven't gone through this for accuracy and clarity but wanted to pass it on in case it might be of any help to someone.

Tutorial on Using the Mail, People, and Calendar Apps.

By

David Moore

All key commands for all three apps, Mail, People, and Calendar, are at the end of this tutorial.

Intruduction:

I will Let you know this first. When you import your email accounts into the win10 Mail app,

your contacts are automatically imported into the People app. All calendar information, is imported into the Calendar app.

So, if you want to work with your contacts, you have to do so in the people app and not the mail app. Think of it like this. Three apps work together to
give you that MS outlook client experience.

The people app has all of your contacts. The mail app is where you work with and send your email messages. The Calendar app has all of your appointments
and much more.

Now, while you are in the win10 mail app, you can switch to the Calendar app or the People app.

Many of the commands are the same as in WLM.

Mail for Windows 10 supports most types of email services.  You can add any of these Microsoft accounts:

Exchange, Office 365, Outlook.com, Hotmail, Live.com, and MSN.com.  You can also add any of these accounts:

Gmail, Yahoo Mail, iCloud, or an account with a POP or IMAP server.

Section One

Launching the Windows 10 Mail App

So, let us consider how you can launch the mail app for the first time. The way I did it, was to press the windows key or CTRL+Escape and type mail. I
heard windows mail app trusted windows store app.

Now, press enter, and the mail app will open. There you go, you have launched the mail app for the first time. The first time you open Mail, you'll land
on the Welcome screen. Press Enter on Get Started. Now, you are ready to start using the Win10 Mail App. If you have a Microsoft Account, your MS email
account should already be imported into the mail app.

Section Two:

Putting the Mail, Calendar, and People apps on your Desktop, or pinning them to your taskbar:

Finally, let us begin to learn how to use these three apps.

You may want to pin all three apps, Mail, Calendar, and People, to your taskbar, or put them on your desktop as short cuts.

To put them as short cuts on your Desktop, press Windows key+R to open the run dialog.

just type:

shell:appsfolder

In a second, all of your apps will be in a list. Just press the first letter of the one you want until you hear, Mail, for example.

Now, press your applications key or Shift+F10.

Now, press the up arrow key once to hear:

Create short cut.

Enter on that, and you will hear:

Short cut cannot be created here, do you want to put it on the desktop instead?

Just press enter, and the Mail app will be on your Desktop.

To pen it to the taskbar, just press the Windows Key or CTRL+Escape and type Mail, for example.

When you hear Mail, just press the appllications key or Shift+F10 and arrow down to:

Pin to taskbar and press enter.

The Mail app will be on your Taskbar.

You can do the same for the Calendar and People apps.

Section Three

A Few Key Commands to get started:

Here are a few commands to use the mail app. Tab key: The tab key will get you anywhere you need to go in the mail app. Also, F6 will take you to different
sections of the app. These three apps, mail, people, and calendar apps have been made so accessible, that you can use the PC cursor with JAWS. Also, no
object navigation needs to be done in these three apps with NVDA. Narrator works great as well.

When you read messages with Narrator, Scan mode needs to be activated by pressing:

Caps Lock+Spacebar.

That command toggles the Scan Mode on and off with Narrator.

You only want to turn on Scan Mode to read messages.

You want it off the rest of the time. Even when you type a message, Scan Mode needs to be turnned off.

Scan Mode is just for reading.

When a message is opened with JAWS, you are put in a virtual viewer so you can use the virtual cursor, just like in a web page.

Now, to work with messages:

to send your message, press

alt+S.

To reply to a message:

press ctrl+R.

to forward a message:

press CTRL+F.

to create a new message:

press CTRL+N.

As you type the email address, choices will populate to choose from.

To insert an attachment, press Alt+I.

You can then brows for the file you want to attach.

All other key commands for all three of these apps, will be put at the end of this tutorial.

Section Four:

Importing your first account into the Mail App

Now, let us add our first account.

From the list of messages for your MS account, tab to manage accounts and press enter.

If you do not have an MS email account imported in to the Mail app, just Tab to Manage Accounts and press enter.

Next, tab to the Add account button and press enter.

You will be in a list of account types you can add. In the Choose an account dialog, use the Down Arrow key to go through the list of account types (Outlook.com,
Exchange, Google, Yahoo Mail, and so

on). When you hear the name of your account type, press Enter. For example, if you want to add a Gmail account, press enter on Google. Next, Enter the
email address for the account that you want to add. Now, tab to the password box, and enter your password.

Press the Tab key to move to the Sign in button and press enter.

Now, press enter again on the:

done button.

Your email account should import into the Mail app in seconds, and your emails will be in your in box from the last three months.

Now, if it does not work to import an account by choosing Google, for example, any account will import into this choice:

Go to the account choice:

other account, IMAP or POP.

Any account, Pop or IMAP, will import under this choice, even a Google account.

Only a few POP email Accounts will have to be imported by hand with all of the settings.

For most accounts, your email and password will be enough to import the account.

The last account choice, is the advanced account. Enter on this last choice if you need to enter in all of your account settings by hand.

The only reason why you need the advanced account choice is to import a few older POP 3 accounts and set them up by hand.

To import all of your accounts:

Just follow the same instructions written above.

You will need to press enter on Manage Accounts, and enter on Add account, for each account you import.

It is important that you know that your contacts for your accounts, are imported into the People app.

You can get to the People App right from the Mail app.

Also, all calendar data partaning to your accounts, is imported into the Calendar App.

This is how all three apps work together to give you the entire Email Client experience.

After you add your accounts, notice in the manage accounts menu, you will see a choice to link accounts. This means, that you could have all messages from
all of your accounts go into one inbox. I would not do this. Each account should have its own inbox.

Now, let us press enter on one of the accounts that you just added and see what happens.

If you press enter on one of your accounts, there is a choice to delete the account if you decide you do not want it in the mail app anymore.

Also, if you press enter on the sync settings, you will see that your emails from three months ago will import. You can change this if you want.

Also, You can change some settings about how the emails are synced in the mail app, but I would not mess with that at all.

Now, just press escape to get out of that, and you will be back in your list of accounts. Press escape to close the manage accounts pane.

We are all done with the Manage accounts option.

Section Five:

Navigating the Maiol App with the Tab Key

Now, we have all of our accounts imported intothe Mail App.

Make sure that you are on a folder list of messages for one of your accounts.

A list of messages will be our starting point, and we will begin to tab.

Now I will Tab.

I am on my list of emails for my MS Outlook account.

Tabbing:

I hear Navigation button collapsed.

You want to press enter to hear:

Navigation button expanded.

If you do not do this, you will not see everything in the Mail app.

Tab again, and you hear:

New Mail Button.

This is what you activate by pressing the key command:

CTRL+N

You do not need this button.

Tab: and you hear:

Manage accounts.

That is where we just were when you imported and customized all of your email accounts.

Tab:

You will see a list of all of your accounts once you import them into the Mail app.

If you press enter on an account, the In Box of messages for that account will open and you are put in the inbox of messages.

Now, we will tab from your list of accounts.

You have Folders Button.

Sub Section:

Folders Button.

When you press enter on Folders Button, there is a lot you can do in here.

In this Sub Section, We will talk about all you can do after you press enter on Folders Button.

Press enter on Folders Button:

The first thing you will be on, is a virticle list of all of your folders for that email account.

You can just up and down arrow to the folder you want, and press enter.

You are then put right in the list of messages for that folder.

Instead of pressing enter on a folder, if you tab once, you can press enter on:

Create New Folder

As soon as you press enter, you have to type in the name of the new folder.

This will create a new folder for that account.

This is all in the Folders Button.

Press enter on Folders Button, again, if you are not still in that pane.

On your list of folders, you can arrow to a folder, and press:

Applications Key or Shift+F10.

You can now down arrow through the following choices:

Add to Favorites Button

Pressing Enter will put that folder on your favorites list of folders, so you do not have to keep coming into the Folders Button to find a folder.

Next choice when pressing applications Key:

, Create new subfolder Button

Pressing enter on that choice, will allow you to create a sub folder under that main folder you arrowed to.

As soon as you press enter, you have to type in the name of the sub folder, and press enter.

The third choice:

Rename Button

The fourth choice:

Delete Button

Pressing enter there wil delete the folder.

Fifth Choice:

Move Button

Sixth Choice:

Empty folder Button

Seventh and last Choice:

Pin to Start Button

To review:

When you arrow to a folder, you can press:

Applications Key or Shift+F10,

and you get a menu of seven choices listed above.

You can press enter on any of those choices to do the action that it says.

We are all done with the Folders Button.

Now, make sure that you are on the Folders Button, and we will start tabbing again.

If you tab from the Folders Button,

You are on your list of Favorite Folders I mentioned.

You can just arrow down through this list of folders that you chose to be your favorite folders.

You do not have to enter on the Folders Button to get to these.

They are right here in a list.

I have my In Box folder, Sent Folder, Trash Folder, and a Saved folder that I created, in my Favorites list.

I keep those four folders in that favorites list, so I do not have to keep pressing enter on the Folders Button to get to those Folders.

I can just tab over to this list of four folders that I use the most.

Pressing enter on one of those four folders will put me right in the list of messages for that folder.

You always get put right on the list of messages when you enter on any folder.

Now, we will tab from this favorites list, and we get:

Moore Button.

This is the exact copy of the Folders Button LOL!

Forget the More Button LOL!

Tab again:

Switch to Calendar Button:

Tab:

Switch to People Button:

Pressing enter on one of those buttons, will Open one of those apps.

You can have all three opened at the same time.

Tab:

Settings Button:

Sub Section:

We have important stuff here, if we press enter on Settings Button, so this will be another sub section, like Folders Button.

Settings Button

Press Enter on Settings Button.

Now, let us look at the settings in the mail app. There are some settings that you might want to change or work with in these groups of settings . The
two groups of settings you should open are the reading and signature settings. Do not mess with the other groups of settings.

Reading Settings

There are two choices you might want to change in this settings group.

You can check or uncheck carrot browsing.

I would leave carrot browsing unchecked in the reading settings group.

Now, in this reading group, there is also a button that turns on and off conversation view.

You definitely want this button checked, because your messages will be grouped into their respective threads.

You can delete the entire thread if your messages are in conversation view.

Press enter on the back button to close the reading group.

Each group of Settings has a back button you can press enter on to get out of that group, and you are taken back to the groups of settings.

Signature Settings Group:

This is the only other group of settings where you need to do anything.

Press Enter on Signature Settings.

In here, you can add a signature, or check all accounts to have the same signature

If you check to have a signature, and press Tab, there is a signature that is there by default.

It says:

sent from mail for windows 10.

If you want to create your own signature, check the signature, and over right that default signature to add your own signature you want to appear after
every message that you send.

You can have different signatures for each account, or have the same signature for all accounts by checking all accounts.

If you want no signature, you can just press Spacebar to uncheck the signature toggle.

Press the Back Button, to get out of the Signature Settings Group.

If you press:

Escape

You are back on the Settings Button, where we were tabbing across the Mail App.

That is pretty much all I would worry about in settings.

There are just a few more tabs, before we are back to the list of messages.

Tab from Settings Button:

There is a search edit box.

If you type any name, or phrase, and so on in that search box,

it will narrow down the list of email messages that have that Name or phrase in them.

This is a great way to find a particular message very quickly.

I use this a lot.

You can get right to that search box,

by pressing:

CTRL+E

You do not have to tab to that LOL!

Tab, and you have:

Sync this View Button.

If you press that, your messages will load more quickly, but they load quickly anyway for me, and I do not have to press enter on that:

sync this View button.

Tab again, and you have:

Enter Selection Mode Button.

This is important.

When you press enter on that button, you are on your list of messages in that folder, but now, there is a difference.

There is now a check box before each message that you can press spacebar on to check that message. You can check as many messages as you want.

Now, if you shift tab twice, you are back to where the:

Enter sellection Mode Button was.

Now, there is a check box there that says, Select all, check box not checked.

you can press spacebar to check all of your messages. You have to tab twice to get back to the list of messages, but now, they are all checked.

After you check messages, you can press the:

applications Key or Shift+F10

and you will have the following choices:

Archive, Delete, Move, and a few less important choices in that context menu.

If you press enter on delete, all messages that are selected will be deleted. If you press enter on move, your list of all folders come up, and you can
move your selected messages to another folder.

Just press enter on the folder, and the selected messages are moved to that folder.

Section Six:

Working with your messages:

Now, we can start working with with our email messages for what ever account you pick from the list of accounts. All the accounts will be in a virticle
list, and you just press enter on what ever account you want to work with, and you will be placed in the inbox and the messages will load.

Here we go LOL!

Let us arrow through the messages in the inbox and read some of our messages.

Just enter on the message you want to open. To read messages with NVDA, you must be in brows mode.

When you type a message, you must be in focus mode.

The only time you want to be in Brows Mode, is to read the messages. To attach a file to the message, for example, you want to be in Focus mode with NVDA.

With Narrator, you want to be in scan mode to read messages.

To do everything else, even type a message, you need to turn off scan mode. Narrator works very well with the mail app.

Now, with JAWS, you are put in a virtual environment just like on the Internet. The virtual PC cursor, will allow you to select and copy information that
is right in the message.

when you are done reading that message, just press escape to get out of the message and back to the list of messages

You do not have to do anything with JAWS to do all that you want to do in the mail app, even type a message.

Now, let me give you some important key commands right here.

tab gets you anywhere in the mail app you want to be. Tabbing will get you to the list of your accounts, and the folders button, that you enter on to get
a full list of folders for that account. When you are on the list of folders, tab to the more button and press enter to do more with your folders, like
create a new folder. To create a sub folder for a particular folder Tab to the more button again, and press enter. Down arrow to creat a sub folder. and
arrow to which folder you want to create the sub folder for and tab to create, and press enter. . Now, you can type the name of the sub folder you want,
and press enter. That is how you create a sub folder of a folder that is already there. When you are on a message in the list, you can press the applications
key or shift+F10 and get choices of what you can do with that message. One of these choices is move. If you enter on move, you will get a list of folders
you can move that message to. I created a folder called saved messages. So when I want to save a message, I just move the message to my saved messages
folder. If you press delete, the message goes in the trash folder. To send a message, press ctrl+N. You are put in the to: edit box. Just type in the email,
tab to subject, and tab to write your message. To send a message, press Alt+S, and you are back on the list of messages in your inbox. After you open a
message and read it, you can reply to it by pressing CTRL+R. Just type your message, and press alt+S to send your reply. You will be in the list of messages,
and just press the delete key to delete that message. To forward a message, just press ctrl+F. To spell check your message before sending, just press F7.

Tabs on the ribbon of the mail app:

Here we go with the ribbon. When you are in a message, three tabs show up on the ribbon. Just press the alt key to get to the ribbon. The first tab you
will hear is the format tab. Right arrow to the insert tab, and right arrow again to the third and last tab, the options tab. Now, if you press alt a second
time while you are still in the mail app, you will be on the tab that you were last working with. If you were working with the options tab lastly, the
options tab will show up, and you will have to left arrow to get back to insert and format. You do wrap around in a circle with a couple of other choices
in there as you wrap. On any of these tabs, just press the down arrow to get to all of the choices for that tab. Then, press tab to tab through all of
the choices. For example, to insert an attachment into an email, press the alt key, and arrow to the insert tab. Then, press the down arrow, and you are
right on the files choice. It will not say attach, this is very important. Pressing down arrow on the insert tab, allows you to insert different things
into your email. Remember, you can just press:

Alt+I to attach a file.

To attach anything else, you must go to the insert tab on the ribbon. The ribbon is not important, unless you want to insert different things into the
email, or if you want to format the email.

Other choices to insert, are table, link, and so on. These are different things that you can insert in your email. Press enter on files, and you can brows
your computer to find a file to insert or attach, and press enter on the open button. Now, you are put back on your message you are composing. If you press
Shift+tab one time, you will be on your file that you attached to your email. That is how people will find your attachments. They will just shift tab to
hear all of the files you inserted or attached to your email. Now, Use Shift+Tab again to move focus to the subject line, and press Shift+Tab again to
hear the sender’s name. In other words, when you are in a message, press Shift+tab to hear all of the information like the subject, the sender, the time
and date, and so on. There are not key commands to read this information to you like in other clients. When you finish reading the message, press the Escape
key to return to the message list. That is the key. If you just press escape, you go back to your list of messages. If you press delete on a message in
the list, it goes to the trash folder right away. Now, if you select some text in your email, just press alt, and arrow to the format tab, and press down
arrow to the format choices if you want to format your email. just tab through the choices. There are many, you can do about anything here to format your
email text. For example, if you down arrow on the format tab, there will be choices to bold, underline, and to do other things to the text that you select
in your email that you are composing. Now, for the options tab, the third and last tab, you will not need to use, but feel free to check out the options.
The option for Spell Checking, is the same as pressing F7 in your message. Now, here is the thing about spell checking in the mail app. You can go to the
win10 settings app, by pressing windows+I to have win10 correct much of your spelling as you type. This only works though, in a win10 app. The mail app
qualifies for that. So, in settings, arrow to the devices group and press enter. Then, go to the type choice and press enter. Check two check boxes. The
first says something like correct spelling, and the second one says something like high light words that are misspelled. Check those two check boxes and
press enter. Now, when you are in the mail app, most of the words will be automatically corrected as you type them. However, this feature will not correct
all misspelled words. This is where you press F7 to do a total spell check. Important: There is not a way to have the mail app spell check every message
automatically when you send it like with WLM. You definitely have to spell check every message that you compose before you send it just like with each
document in Word.

Well, we have covered everything with the mail app itself.

Now, I will show you quickly how to use the people app and calendar app, and then you can use all three apps together as one email client.

People app:

Launch the People app, and tab a few times. You will tab by a new button, where you can manually enter the information for a new contact. If you tab passed
the new button, you will come to a list of contacts. You cannot use first letter navigation to jump to a certain contact, but here is what you can do.
Tab one more time, and you will be in a list of letters of the alphabet. Again, you cannot use first letter navigation, like you can now use in the all
apps. Just arrow down to the letter you want, and shift+tab back to the list of contact starting with that letter. Find the name you want, and tab a few
more times. There will be an edit where you can edit the contact's information. Tab passed that, and you will come to profile. Tab one more time, and you
will be on their email. To copy that email, you have to press the applications key, or shift+F10, and press enter on copy. You will then have that person's
email copied to the clip board. You can go to the mail app, and paste that into the to: edit box to send them an email. That is it with the people app.
Remember, your contacts are imported into the people app. As you type an email into the mail app, the populated choices come from the people app.

Calendar app:

Launch the calendar app, and press alt+ctrl+4 to get into month view. You are put on a grid of days of the week. You will land on to day. It will say the
date as well. For example, you will hear Friday, October 28. You also hear how many events are linked with that day, like birthday's of your contacts and
so on. Tab to each event, and press enter on the event to get the details of the event. If you shift+tab, you will go back to the day of those events.
If you press right and left arrow, you will go forward a day or back a day. Up arrow takes you a week before from that day, and downarrow takes you a week
ahead of that day. If you want to schedule an event for a certain day, just press enter on that day, and a dialog will come up for you to enter all of
the information for the appointment or event, and there is an okay or done button. There you go! That is how you read days, the events for those days,
and how to schedule an event for that day. That is about it for the calendar app.

Here are many keyboard shortcuts to use all three apps:

Account Manual Sync (Send and retrieve new mail)

CTRL+M

Or

F9

CTRL+Q

CTRL+U

Toggle the important property on a conversation

CTRL+SHIFT+G

Delete a conversation

CTRL+D

Or

DEL

Archive a conversation

BACKSPACE

Reply to current mail

CTRL+R

CTRL+SHIFT+R

Forward current mail

CTRL+F

CTRL+E

Or

F3

Create a new mail

CTRL+N

Or

CTRL+SHIFT+M

Add Attachment

ALT+I

Send mail

ALT+S

Or

Ctrl + Enter

Switch to Inbox

CTRL+SHIFT+I

Switch to Outbox

CTRL+SHIFT+O

Zoom in

CTRL++ (Plus key on numpad)

Zoom out

CTRL+- (Minus key on numpad)

Move between regions

F6

Toggle Caret Browsing

F7

Key commands for the Calendar app:

Accept Meeting Invitation

Alt+C

Decline Meeting Invitation

Alt+D

Tentative Meeting Invitation

Alt+N

Move to View

CTRL+SHIFT+V

Switch to the calendar in the mail app

CTRL+2

Well, I hope you get so much good out of this tutorial , and you can get a lot out of using the mail app, people, and calendar apps. You can do a lot with
three apps. I would pin all three of them to the taskbar, and have them all opened at the same time

Take care,

David Moore

               Sent from
Mail