[blind-geek] Problem Making Image Backups/Windows 7 and a Toshiba External Hard Drive

  • From: "David Goldfield" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "happycatholic1211@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:09:20 -0400

Here's my situation. I'm running windows 7, 32-bit edition and it's a recently installed version as well. I bought a 1.5 TB Toshiba Canvio external hard drive, partly so that I could do regular drive image backups. I am able to copy individual files and folders to the drive with no problems. However, when I use Windows Backup to do a complete backup it gets to a point where it seems like it's about to finish the backup and then I get a semaphore timeout error and a message saying that there was an error accessing the remote shared folder. I have seen many people in online forums with this same problem but I never seem to find a solution that either makes sense or one which applies to my situation. The drive is not on a network; it's connected to the computer's USB port directly. I've even called Microsoft's accessibility helpdesk and I was advised to do a reinstall of the OS. I would normally consider it except that I had already done this a month before calling them to deal with some other corruption issues I was having which are not related to this problem. Reinstalling the OS would take around 3 hours, with additional time spent downloading the various patches and updates to get the system up to speed. Again, I'd consider it if I knew it would fix the problem but I just don't think that's going to solve it. I'd appreciate any assistance or thoughts you might have about how to solve this problem. I don't know which remote shared folder it's referring to. If there are specific settings or properties I should look into tweeking, I'm open to ideas.

--
Feel free to visit my new Web site http://www.DavidGoldfield.info Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573 Visit my blog http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/davidgoldfield David Goldfield, Founder and Peer Coordinator Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired
This message was posted to the Blind-Geek mailing list. Learn more at