[blind-democracy] Re: problem not really gone

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 23:42:53 -0400

I use thunderbird and I am pretty satisfied with it. It works just as well with Windows 10 as it did with Windows 7. Back when I switched from Windows XP to Windows 7 I started using Windows Live mail. There had already been some discussion that I was reading about that program being unstable, but when I started using it I saw just how unstable it really was. It started crashing on me and I had a devil of a time getting it running again and then once it crashed and I couldn't get it to work at all.  At that time I was subscribed to the JAWS list and I sought help there. It was kind of off topic, so someone started trying to help me privately. He couldn't figure it out either and so he finally just sent me a link to download Thunderbird. It took a couple of days to learn it and get used to it, but I haven't had a major problem with it since. Now and then it does get an update and for a little while I think it is broken, but then I figure out what the change was and I am back to it working smoothly. What you have to remember about Thunderbird is that most of everything you do wit it is in a tree view and the rest of it can be reached by tabbing. When you open the software you have to tab about three times to get to the tree view and then you do most everything else by using the arrow keys. If you keep tabbing you come to settings and configuration, but most of what you need to do to get it configured the way you want it can be done from the menus that you get to by pressing the alt key.

___
Neil deGrasse Tyson
“God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.”
― Neil DeGrasse Tyson

On 3/13/2020 10:09 PM, miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Richard,

I don't think it needs a new password. I think that there's just some bizarre
problem, that Outlook is apparently not as compatible with Optimum and Windows
10 as it was with Windows 7. I went back into my Optimum account this evening
after feeling completely frustrated. I just wandered around it, not doing a
thing. Then after I got out of it, a whole lot of emails downloaded. If I
weren't so inept at this stuff, I'd install the Thunderbird email program. But
I don't even understand what the 3 pieces of information are that I need to
start installing it, let alone, learning how to use it with Jaws.

Miriam