[blind-democracy] Re: 'What, to the American Slave, Is Your 4th of July?'

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 18:53:15 -0400

Bob,

I suspect that most people who celebrate, are just seeing the fourth of July
as a summer holiday when you barbecue, swim in a pool, if you have one, and
watch the pretty colors of the fireworks. They're not really thinking about
what it means. They give lipservice to all the patriotism because they've
been conditioned to do so. I think that people emigrated here because they
did believe they could have more material comforts and more freedoms than
they had in their home countries. I think that it worked out for a lot of
people. However, life was a lot harder here than they'd anticipated. A lot
of them had been lured here with promises. But for some of them, life was so
unbearable where they were, that they believed that they were forced to
leave. And even now, even with all the terrible treatment that emigrants
from Latin America encounter when they come here to escape from gang murders
and unbearable poverty that really, our country has been responsible for,
they still think that somehow things will be better here. But I have to say
that it is obvious to me from the book I've been reading about the Armenian
Genocide, that America really did believe that it was the beacon of truth
and justice, even as it was practising injustice throughout our hemisphere.
No wonder people are confused. It's a confused legacy that we've inherited.