[blind-democracy] Re: Tomgram: Rebecca Gordon, Flying the Unfriendly Skies of America

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 20:06:06 -0700

It's true that this is the Promised Land, but we do know folks who are
forced to live in mundane places, like New Jersey. Years ago a young
blind college student attending law school at the University of
Washington, became the advocate for clients requesting Administrative
Reviews. As assistant director, one of my duties was to review such
requests, and meet with the client and their representative to see if
we could resolve differences. The young man was named Daniel Frye.
Dan was such a strong, fair minded, honest advocate that I took to him
as if he were my son.
We have been fast friends ever since. In fact, Dan married one of my
OTC students, Renee West. After 3 years working for the New Zealand
Blind, Dan returned home to do a brief stint as Editor of the Braille
Monitor. He went on to work for RSA prior to becoming Director of the
New Jersey Agency For the Blind.
So that is the long version of the story. We are not going to visit
New Jersey, we are going to head East to visit our dear friends.
But that trip my be on hold, depending on the outcome of several tests
I'm undergoing. I see the cardiologist tomorrow to try to get a
better fix on the situation. My pulse suddenly jumped from around 60
to 125. I'm told that I have a flutter in the upper chamber and the
lower chamber is going nuts trying to keep up. The doctor offered
several opinions, unnerving me a bit by suggesting I might have had a
heart attack.
They would have tucked me into the hospital after I went to emergency
last Wednesday, except I show none of the symptoms. No pains, no
shortness of breath, no high fever, just a rapid fluttering pulse of
about 125.
So after telling me that they almost decided to put me in the
hospital, the doctor told me I could go about doing my regular routine
until I see the Cardiologist.
It's frustrating. Sometimes I think my body is too healthy to allow
anyone to see what's going on. I'll be dead two years before they
ever notice it.
But for now, New Jersey is on the planning table.

Carl Jarvis

On 9/21/15, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sounds gorgeous. New Jersey next year? Why would anyone travel to New
Jersey?