[blind-democracy] Re: Today's Civilian Victims in Yemen Will Be Ignored Because US and Its Allies Are Responsible

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 15:27:11 -0400

Bob,

Of course, we would like all countries to have a free press. And, in fact,
often there is better coverage of certain news in other countries' media
than our's. There has been some good coverage on items on RT and, as you
say, on Al Jazeera, although I think Al Jazeera English was better than Al
Jazeera America which has tailored some of its coverage to satisfy American
advertisers. But I was referring to the fact that countries are different
from each other with different cultural traditions and different political
systems. And the countries in the Mid East have been affected by western
colonialism since world war 1 when oil became important to the West. Many
have been run by dictators who are backed by western nations. Look at a
country like Egypt. We are supporting its authoritarian government which has
imprisoned journalists. Our own country is trying to silence WikiLeaks
because its on line journalism makes information public that our government
wants kept secret. I think of those people in Yemen whom we have been
killing, or those in Libya whose country we destroyed or the Iraqis, etc.
Given our country's relation to them, it would be difficult for the average
Mid Easterner to feel sympathetic toward the people injured or killed in
Boston who are an insignificant number to those in their countries for whose
deaths, injuries, and displacements, our country is responsible.