[blind-democracy] Question for Carl

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 14:09:40 -0500

I just finished scanning a book for Bookshare entitled The Protected by Rowena Portch. I ordered this from PaperbackSwap.com without having the slightest idea what it was about. I ordered it on the sole basis that it was a self published book and it was classified as science fiction. I rather like the idea of promoting indy science fiction, so lately I have been scanning a number of them for Bookshare. It turns out that it is not science fiction at all. It is a fantasy and of the subgenre urban fantasy. Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to be able to tell the difference between science fiction and fantasy, so a lot of books, especially indy books, get misclassified. Also unfortunately, I didn't like the book because its main purpose seemed to be to push religion.

Anyway, the main character turns out to be a woman with very limited vision, legally blind, who lives on the Olympic Peninsula. She has retinitis pigmentosa. Now that I have finished the book I found some biographical information about the author at the very end. It turns out that Rowena Portch based the main character on herself and she is actually blind due to retinitis pigmentosa and she lives on the Olympic Peninsula. She runs a wellness clinic there with her husband and if she is that identical with her character she is a massage therapist.

Now, I don't know how large the Olympic Peninsula is and I don't know what the population is, so I don't know what degree of unlikeliness this is. But whatever the population might be I do know that wherever you go the population of blind people is considerably less. I also know that you, Carl, know a lot of blind people on the Olympic Peninsula. So, I am curious. Carl, do you know a Rowena Portch?