[blind-democracy] Re: My Admission

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 15:55:34 -0400

As for the so-called young adult books, Frankly, the only difference I see between them and adult books, at least in fiction, is that in the young adult category most of the characters and always the main characters are teenagers. Because that is the only difference I have no problem with reading a young adult categorized novel at all. The nonfiction, on the other hand, tends to be more simplistic and sketchy, By sketchy I mean that a lot of important things are left out. But if it is a book on a subject that I know little about I can read and benefit from a young adult nonfiction book too. Actual children' books are a different matter though. I browse the Goodreads site quite a bitt and read the reviews. The children's books, for elementary school age and below get quite a few reviews and the reviews are all from adults. People under the age of thirteen are not even allowed to use the site. I will say tghat I don't get it that so many grown adult people are such fans of children's literature, but it is obvious that they are.

___

Charles Bukowski “For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski
On 3/23/2021 9:38 PM, Miriam Vieni wrote:

Well, I'll use the Blind Democracy list to confess my sin of intolerance
rather than the BARD Talk list although I suppose it is obvious to all those
poor victims of my intolerance how intolerant I am.
1. I am intolerant of people who complain about seeing large numbers of
foreign language books in the up to the minute category, but have no problem
going through large numbers of books written for elementary school age
children. All those people, like Nolan, go on and on about how great America
is but resent those foreign books, in particular, the Spanish language
books, especially those produced by NLS.  And people wonder why so many
people voted for Trump?

And  for folks who say that it's no problem to go quickly through books you
don't want to read, yes, you can go through foreign language books fast, but
not children's books. You usually have to read a bit of the description
before you know that the book is written for children of elementary school
age and you need to see the phrase "young adult" before you know that it is
probably written for teenagers.

But now for my real sin: I get that there are many books in the young adult
category that were put there because they're about teenagers but they might
be written on an adult level. But truly, how many normally functioning
adults enjoy reading children's books, even if that article that Bill posted
said that it's OK if adults like them? Actually, the article said that they
help explain complicated concepts to people who may have problems
understanding them and they help people who don't particularly like to read,
learn to like to read. But on the BARD Talk list, there are all these blind
adults who enjoy reading children's books! Sorry, but I think that's weird.
I wonder if all of them are congenitally totally blind. I know two or three
of them who said that they like these books, are. I wonder if any of them
have now, or have had vision in the past.