[blind-democracy] Re: Much to deal with today.

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 21:45:23 -0400

Well, let me not go on a lot about her life because it could be rather time consuming and I don't see how you could really be interested, but I will tell you about what happened in the last few days. She was 87 years old. She was going to have her 88th birthday on the 23rd of April. She has recently been seeing a doctor about a problem with blood pressure spikes. That is, her blood pressure would shoot up tremendously for no apparent reason and she was on several blood pressure pills. She had also taken to falling recently. A little less than a year ago she fell in the bathroom. She said that she was getting dressed and lost her balance. She broke her wrist then. Then just recently she slipped on some ice and went down face first. There were no injuries this time, but she said that she had a headache  from bashing her forehead on the hard ground. I might add that more than a year ago she fell down a flight of outdoor steps and she received no treatment for that, but she did show symptoms that sounded like a concussion to me, but she didn't want to go to the hospital because she was up and walking around and didn't think she needed it. This past Tuesday, though, she took another fall and it was for no apparent reason. She was right in the middle of the floor and according to her she just turned around and her feet didn't turn with her and down she went. This was right in the middle of a carpeted floor, but an ambulance took her away and after she got to the hospital she was diagnosed with a fractured hip. I spoke to her on the phone the next day and she said that the day after that, Thursday, she was going to have surgery on her hip. The next time I talked to her was Saturday and she said that they didn't want to let her out of the hospital until they could get her walking. Also she said that they found something wrong with her heart and had snaked a catheter into her heart. But she said that she was going to physical therapy the next day, Sunday. So I thought she was pretty close to being discharged.  The next thing I heard was this morning just before 9:00. My cousin came pounding at my door and told me that I needed to let him take me to the hospital immediately. They had found something wrong with her colon and had performed emergency surgery that morning and removed the colon. But then they found major problems with her small intestines too and she was not expected to last the day. Nobody ever did tell me exactly what the intestinal problems were except that it was the most likely cause of her blood pressure spikes. I got to the hospital at about 10:00 in the morning and she had already died by the time I got there. Now there are all the hassles of disposing of her belongings, closing her bank account, dealing with a funeral home and so forth. I am expecting to be busy the next several days.

___

Charles Bukowski “For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski
On 3/29/2021 9:05 PM, Miriam Vieni wrote:

Roger,

I'm so sorry to read your news. We had no idea that your mother was alive
because you never wrote about her. If you wish to tell us, we'd be interested
to know something about her, her life, where she lived, her age, and what
illness she died of. If you don't wish to share these things, we understand.
Please accept my condolences.

Miriam

Behalf Of Roger Loran Bailey (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 7:41 PM
To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-democracy] Much to deal with today.

I suppose this is neither here nor there to you guys, but I am mentioning it
because it is strongly on my mind. It is on my mind because I have spent all
day dealing with the aftermath. My mother died this morning. It was not with a
lot of warning either. It was six days after she entered the hospital and right
up until last night everyone was expecting that she would be discharged at any
time.

___