[blind-democracy] Julian Bond will be laid to rest

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:37:58 -0700

ColorOfChange.org" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:01:52 +0000
Subject: Julian Bond will be laid to rest
was a revolutionary.

Dear Carl,

He was a revolutionary.

Those who knew him best also describe Julian Bond as a civil rights icon,
a pioneer, a poet and a national treasure.

Bond, who was a founding member of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating
Committee and a chairman of the NAACP, passed away at his home in Florida
on Saturday, August 15.^1

A true activist, he was known for fighting for causes that were not easily
winnable. He organized sit-ins as a student at Morehouse College in the
late 1950s.^2 He passionately opposed the Vietnam War.^3 And as NAACP
chairman emeritus and board member, he advocated for marriage equality and
LGBT rights.^4 Julian Bond was a constant campaigner for the liberation of
all people, and it was not only this belief but his actions that followed
which will have him remembered forever as a leader in the broader human
rights struggle.

[1]Sign a card below to the Bond family to express your condolences.

[2]Graphic image: Julian Bond: Rest in Power

In 1966, when Bond should have been sworn in as a state representative,
his white colleagues in the Georgia General Assembly barred him from
taking his seat because of his opposition to the Vietnam War. When a
reporter asked him to explain his previous statements on the war, Bond
said, “[It is] hypocritical for us to maintain that we are fighting for
liberty in other places and we are not guaranteeing liberty to citizens
inside the continental United States.”^5

This show of determination and commitment to justice is why we will hold
fast to Julian Bond’s memory. His reach extends far beyond his own
generation’s advocacy for civil rights and continues to motivate us to
work to amplify the voices of Black people. As the SNCC communications
director turned movement leader, he helped build the foundation of the
civil rights movement on which all justice-oriented organizations,
including ColorOfChange, are able to organize today.

Congressman John Lewis said in a recent interview about his late colleague
and friend, “Julian must be remembered as one who inspired another
generation of young people to stand up, to speak up and speak out.”^6 We
are part of the generation that he inspired to fight racism and
oppression. As we remember Julian Bond, will you join us?

He will be laid to rest on Saturday, August 22, 2015 by his wife Pam
Horowitz; sons Horace Mann Bond II, Jeffrey and Michael; daughters Phyllis
Jane Bond McMillan and Julia Louise Bond; sister Jane; brother James; and
eight grandchildren.^7

[3]In the wake of this loss, send words of support to the Bond family to
express the importance of Julian Bond’s life and contributions to
justice.

Thanks and peace,

Rashad, Arisha, Brandi, Brittaney and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org
team