[blind-democracy] Re: How Democrats and Republicans Collude to Block the Vote -- And How We Can Un-Block It

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 07:27:32 -0800

This morning I listened to Henry Giroux, on Alternative Radio. If you
don't get this program over public radio, you can google it.
Henry Giroux is a straight talking Canadian professor who makes sense
of the fog being spewed by our mass corporate media.

Carl Jarvis
On 12/18/15, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Skip to main content

Black Agenda Report
News, information and analysis from the black left.

5
How Democrats and Republicans Collude to Block the Vote -- And How We Can
Un-Block It
Submitted by Bruce A. Dixon on Thu, 12/17/2015 - 12:39
by BAR managing editor Bruce A. Dixon
We hear lots of outrage about how Republicans block the vote. But blocking
the vote by keeping third parties off the ballot with unjust laws in more
than a dozen states is a project Democrats share with Republicans. Both
capitalist parties know you can't vote against gentrification or mass
incarceration or for a peace and justice candidate if no such candidates or
parties are allowed on the ballot.
How Democrats and Republicans Collude to Block the Vote, And How We Can
Un-Block It
by BAR managing editor Bruce A. Dixon
Black Democrats chose not to fight to consolidate voting rights victories
of
the sixties.
The US Constitution does not guarantee a right to vote, let alone the right
to have votes counted equally or at all. For a whole generation after the
passage of the 1964 and 1967 Voting Rights Act, black Democrats enjoyed an
historic window of opportunity. Till the early 1990s they had the moral and
political upper hand on voting rights, a favorable place from which they
might have consolidated and nailed down the right to vote with a
Constitutional amendment A right-to-vote Constitutional amendment would
erase felony disenfranchisement, open the way to weekend and holiday
voting,
and the establishment of national standards for how districts are drawn,
voters are registered and votes are counted. It would override the
malicious
voter ID laws Republican authorities in many states have instituted to keep
Democrat leaning voters away from the polls.
But to our lazy corner-cutting, self-seeking black political class, hitting
the ground to fire up a national movement to guarantee the right to vote
looked like too damn much work. The black political class instead
concentrated on getting elected and re-elected within the rules that
existed, building their own careers, and boasting and roasting, coasting on
and toasting to the triumphs of the 1960s. Gradually, the terrain shifted
beneath their feet.
A quarter century after passage of the Voting Rights Act, Republicans began
seizing the initiative to launch a block-the-vote offensive, beginning with
refusal to implement the Clinton era Motor Voter laws. Twenty-five years
down that road, the Republican block-the-vote campaign has enacted unjust
laws requiring millions of perfectly qualified US citizens to produce
expensive and hard to get documentation. Republicans have criminalized
voter
registration and absentee ballot drives by legislating minor clerical
errors
into felonies. Felony disenfranchisement laws remain on the books in
several
states with large black populations like Florida where up to a quarter of
potential African American voters are blocked from the polls. Widespread
instances of voter caging, selective mass challenges and other
block-the-vote schemes carried out by private parties and local authorities
to bar potential Democratic voters from the polls have become regular
features of every election cycle. Federal courts all the way up to the
Supremes have upheld block-the-vote laws and kneecapped the Voting Rights
Acts of the sixties.
Without a Constitutional right to vote, any act of Congress or a state
legislature, any whim of a mayor or county clerk, any malicious decision of
a state or local election authority can and might, if you're black, brown,
poor or belong to some identifiable group that's not likely to vote
Republican, block your right to vote. While it's absolutely important to
combat and condemn what has become an entire evil galaxy of Republican
block-the-vote measures, it is equally important to note that none of these
would have been possible if the black political class, Democrats all, had
taken advantage of its historic opportunity to to mobilize and fight to
write the right to vote into the US Constitution.
In the big picture, the historic failure of our black misleaderrship class
of politicians, preachers and business types, almost all Democrats, to nail
down voting rights for the African American polity should be no surprise.
While Republicans and Democrats have very different voting constituencies,
both capitalist parties get their money - and each will spend somewhere
between 1 and 2 billion in the current presidential cycle, from the same
narrow class of one per-centers. Both parties are abjectly dependent on Big
Oil, Big Ag, Big Chemical, Big Insurance, Big Real Estate, military
contractors and of course the privatizers, hedge funders and banksters who
crashed the economy in 2007.
So where are black America's issues in this or any election?
The answer is nowhere. Given their like-minded funders, both parties favor
permanent wars abroad, drones, boots on the ground, regime changes, no-fly
zones. Either party will keep spending half the US government's
expenditures
on the military, with not much left for the things that matter to the rest
of us. Both parties are for runamok privatizations of roads and public
assets, and especially of public education.
Republicans tell you man-made climate change is a myth or a hoax and
Democrats assure you it's quite real. but neither will negotiate a climate
change agreement or step up to lead the nation and the world in retooling
the global economy to avoid or mitigate climate disaster that threatens the
lives of billions. Both parties want to build more nukes and frack
everywhere including in deep offshore waters. Republicans called Keystone
XL
a "job creator" and a Democratic president reluctantly canceled it, but
allowed the oil industry to build the equivalent of ten other Keystones
under the radar since 2010.
Republicans want to ban immigration, and while Democrats say they favor a
road to citizenship the Democrat in the White House has deported two
million. Both parties favor tax breaks and giveaways to scofflaw
corporations, and tout tourism, stadiums and gentrification as the only
economic development engines for urban America. And while both parties
bailed out the bankster and hedge fund guys who crashed the economy,
neither
party wants to bail out student debtors, or forgive homeowner and consumer
debt.
Both parties brought us mass incarceration and the planet's foremost prison
state, and neither seems eager to seriously roll it back. And with both
capitalist parties silent on black unemployment (alarmingly low Department
of Labor black workforce participation rates of 60% are almost certainly
too
high) on black child poverty (3 in every eight black children) and on the
widening wealth gap between blacks and whites, your vote makes no
difference
on any of this.
Republicans Block the Vote by Blocking Voters. Democrats Cooperate With
Republicans to Block Third Parties.
Both Democrats and Republicans know voters cannot cast their ballots for
peace and justice candidates or parties if no such people or parties are
allowed on the ballot.
Democrats and Republicans know you can't vote to forgive predatory student,
homeowner, medical and consumer debt, though they had no trouble forking
trillions over to the speculators, who crashed the economy. So they can't
let forgive-the-debt and jail-the-bankers parties or candidates on the
ballot either.
Democrats and Republicans won't let you vote on corporate tax breaks or
fracking or clean air and water. They won't let you vote on raising social
security or replacing Obamacare's mandates and private insurers with a
national health service. Republicans and Democrats won't let you vote on
fully funding public education or on creating millions of green jobs to
retrofit existing housing for energy efficiency and begin building out the
post-fossil fuel economy. So they dare not allow candidates or parties with
these views on the ballot.
Democrats and Republicans know you can't vote against gentrification if no
anti-gentrification candidates or parties in the election. You can't vote
address persistent black poverty and unemployment either if all the parties
on the ballot are ignoring it.
How do they manage this? Since there's no Constitutional right to vote,
every state gets to make up its own ballot access rules for parties. At
least 9 states require third parties to come up with ten, twenty, thirty
thousand and more signatures of registered voters in order to appear on the
ballot. North Carolina requires 89,000 signatures and Georgia 50,000.
Alabama and Tennessee require about 30,000. Pennsylvania, Illinois,
Oklahoma
and a couple others require 24 and 25 thousand, Indiana 22,600 and there
are
more.
This is how Republican and Democrat politicians block the vote, protecting
themselves against competition from parties and candidates not funded by
billionaires and corporations.
So Ballot Access For Third Parties Is Broken. Oh Well. Why Bother Fixing
It?
So the two capitalist parties have locked down the electoral system for
their masters. This ain't new news. What do you want, a revolution? I know
do. If that's what we ultimately desire, why should we even bother with the
electoral stuff at all?
The simple answer is that people ain't ready for no revolution, or not
nearly enough of them. The next steps in that direction involve an enormous
amount of small d democratic persuasion and organization. Harriet Tubman
said she could have freed a lot more slaves if they had only understood
they
were indeed slaves. That hasn't changed. You cannot organize hopeless
people, people resigned to their fate. You can only organize people who
believe they deserve a better deal than they're getting now.
The magic of elections is that it's a time when people are listening for
and
more willing than most other times to take part in conversations about how
collective action on their part can make their lives better. The left
cannot
provide that conversation if we're not in the hunt, if we're not running
our
own campaigns with candidates in our own parties with our own agendas.
Running as Democrats absolutely won't do it. My generation of activists (I
was born in 1950.) tried that - tried to hijack the Democratic party from
below in the 70s, 80s and 90s. It's a longer story than I can tell here,
but
it didn't work.
Suppose for example you ran for county sheriff as a Democrat on a platform
against mass incarceration and won. County sheriffs are responsible for
county jails, so the first four simple things you'd want to do would be to
(1) Fire and replace all the bad actors on your staff (2) Provide decent
nutrition for the prisoners under your care (3) Provide decent medical care
for the prisoners in your care (4) Provide meaningful educational
opportunities for the people in your care.
As newly elected sheriff, you quickly discover that you can't do these
things without the cooperation of other units of local and perhaps state
government. But never mind the Republicans, members of your own party in
elected office will denounce, obstruct and oppose you, possibly on up to
county executives, state legislators, attorney general and the governor, if
they're Democrats too. They'll use donations from police unions, jail
contractors and other one-percenters to run candidates against you in
Democratic primary elections, and they'll skimp on supporting you in
general
elections. But while you go out and get the votes only you can get, you'll
be expected to pile them in to support the same Democrats at the top of the
ticket who oppose you,
It's their party, not yours, and party unity under the top of the ticket is
the standard, not mutual accountability.
Without a party outside and to the left of Democrats, we can't wage our own
campaigns, we can't engage people in the real conversations about what
matters to them and what can be done. Without a party, campaigns and
candidates outside and to the left of Democrats we fail to engage with
people at the times they're actually listening.
So Who's Working to Un-Block the Vote? Jill Stein and the Green Party? How
is this happening?
The Green Party has lots of problems. It's moribund in some areas,
disconnected from involvement in visible movements in others. Every other
organization you can name has problems too, so the quest is not for an
already perfected vehicle, but one that's in the right slot and can be
adapted to the task.
Jill Stein was the Green party's 2012 candidate, along with running mate
Cheri Honkala, and will likely receive their nomination for 2016. is the
only peace candidate this year, the only one for cutting the Pentagon
budget, addressing black poetry, unemployment and mass incarceration, the
only one favoring abolition of student debt, and so on. She's running with
the express aims of helping build and strengthen Green Party local
organizations across the country, and achieving ballot access in 50 states
and DC, something no Green candidate has ever done before. Even Ralph
Nader,
with more money and steam than any Green candidate before or since, skipped
Georgia, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Indiana because the block to ballot
access was just too difficult.
This year, the Green Party and the Jill Stein campaign are already
organizing on the ground in North Carolina where 2.1 million African
Americans live, and in Georgia, which has the largest black population of
any of the 50 states, connecting with activists inside and outside the
party, enlisting the aid of old and new friends. These two states have the
steepest barriers to ballot access, requiring 89,000 and 50,000 petition
signatures respectively. In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm co-chair of
the Georgia Green party and as part of the Stein campaign's ballot access
team, I have my own fingers in this. By the end of February we expect to be
well on the way to meeting the May and July petition filing deadlines for
these states, and to have field-tested organizing methods and models viable
in other states where work will have already begun.
There are legal challenges to the unjust petition laws in court in several
states, but nobody is foolish enough to expect relief from the courts in
time for this election, if ever. There's ballot access legislation drafted
and introduced too in several states including North Carolina but those
same
state legislatures are some of the same people who created the problem.
On November 20 in Atlanta Cornel West, a Bernie Sanders supporter, came out
in support of what others at the meeting called Plan B for Bernie
supporters. When Sanders folds his campaign and endorses Hillary Clinton
(Cornel would say IF Bernie folds, not when) the good professor says Jill
Stein and the Green Party need to be already on the ballot everywhere. But
the Democratic convention is in August, much too late to launch ballot
access drives in the dozen or so states where Democrats and Republicans
have
block-the-vote legislation in place.
In the 1990s, they rocked the vote. I was there, and had an organizing hand
in registering 133,000 voters in the Chicago in 1992 alone. Go ask
somebody.
Now Repubs and Dems have blocked the vote. Our job now is to un-block the
vote, and it's underway. Expect to hear more about it here, at
www.jill2016.com, and on Facebook here.
To help out, email me at the address below, or you can fill out the
volunteer form or donate to unblock the vote at
http://www.jill2016.com/unblock_the_vote01 It's on.
Bruce A. Dixon is managing editor at Black Agenda Report and co-chair of
the
Ga Green party. He lives and works near Marietta GA and can be reached via
email at bruce.dixon(at)blackagendareport.com.
Skip to main content
/ /
http://twitter.com/share?url=&text=How Democrats and Republicans Collude to
Block the Vote -- And How We Can Un-Block It via @blkagendareport
http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=&t=How Democrats and Republicans
http://www.google.com/bookmarks/mark?op=add&bkmk=&title=How Democrats and
http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=&title=How Democrats and Republicans
http://del.icio.us/post?url=&title=How Democrats and Republicans Collude to
http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=&title=How Democrats and Republicans
http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=&title=How Democrats and
http://www.newsvine.com/_tools/seed&save?u=&h=How Democrats and Republicans
Collude to Block the Vote -- And How We Can Un-Block It
http://www.newsvine.com/_tools/seed&save?u=&h=How Democrats and Republicans
Collude to Block the Vote -- And How We Can Un-Block It
javascript:void((function()%7Bvar
e=document.createElement('script');e.setAttribute('type','text/javascript');
e.setAttribute('charset','UTF-8');e.setAttribute('src','http://assets.pinter
est.com/js/pinmarklet.js?r='+Math.random()*99999999);document.body.appendChi
ld(e)%7D)()); javascript:void((function()%7Bvar
http://reddit.com/submit?url=&title=How Democrats and Republicans Collude
http://bookmarks.yahoo.com/myresults/bookmarklet?u=&t=How Democrats and
Republicans Collude to Block the Vote -- And How We Can Un-Block It
http://bookmarks.yahoo.com/myresults/bookmarklet?u=&t=How Democrats and
Republicans Collude to Block the Vote -- And How We Can Un-Block It
Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.
&&&&&&&&&&&&
Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.
You are here
1. Blogs
2. > Bruce A. Dixon's blog
How Democrats and Republicans Collude to Block the Vote -- And How We Can
Un-Block It
Submitted by Bruce A. Dixon on Thu, 12/17/2015 - 12:39
Share this story...
. http://blackagendareport.com/forward?path=node/4863 Forward
.
http://blackagendareport.com/print/how_dems_and_repubs_block_the_vote Print
HTML
.
http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A//blackagendareport.com/node/4863&title=
How%20Democrats%20and%20Republicans%20Collude%20to%20Block%20the%20Vote%20--
%20And%20How%20We%20Can%20Un-Block%20It Reddit
.
http://www.viadeo.com/shareit/share/?url=http%3A//blackagendareport.com/node
/4863&title=How%20Democrats%20and%20Republicans%20Collude%20to%20Block%20the
%20Vote%20--%20And%20How%20We%20Can%20Un-Block%20It Viadeo
. inShare