[blind-democracy] Fwd: They Found a Way to Cut Social Security: Garnishing for Student Debt

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 07:30:20 -0700

Help stop this insanity.
Carl Jarvis
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Roger Hickey, Campaign for America's Future" <manager@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 12:30:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: They Found a Way to Cut Social Security: Garnishing for Student Debt
To: carjar82@xxxxxxxxx

CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE -- www.ourfuture.org

Think Social Security benefits are protected from garnishment? Think again!

It used to be against the law to garnish Social Security benefits to
pay debts. That's because Social Security is an earned benefit and a
backstop against poverty.

But now a Gingrich era law is changing all that. Hundreds of thousands
of seniors are having huge chunks taken out of their checks to pay
their student debt.

If you are shocked, you should be. But we can fix this. The Department
of Education can suspend garnishing Social Security without an act of
Congress.

*Please join Campaign for America's Future and twenty other groups and
sign the petition: Stop Garnishing Seniors Social Security.* [
http://www.signherenow.org/dont-garnish-social-security/caf/ ]

].

Follow CAF on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OurFuturedotorg
Become a fan of CAF on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ourfuture