[blind-democracy] Re: Fwd.: Apache betrayed

  • From: "Charles Crawford" <CCrawford@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:14:24 -0400

Hi Miriam, Carl, and all,

Thanks for sharing this and I have signed it and hope all of us will do
that. Native Americans have been poorly treated for much too long in this
land and it is time for us to say no more.
Charlie Crawford.

From: Nick Kimbrell - Avaaz <avaaz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:08:05 -0400
Subject: Apache betrayed
To: "carjar82@xxxxxxxxx" <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear friends,

The US government is about to handover a beautiful stretch of national
forest held sacred by the local Apache tribe -- to a giant foreign mining
company. It's a national disgrace, but if we come together now we have a
real chance to block the mine.

Our country's shameful, criminal mistreatment of Native Americans is no
secret. And when Arizona lawmakers snuck this mining proposal into a
critical national defense bill last year, Apache leaders and activists vowed
to fight back. That pressure is working and right now Congress is
considering whether to stop the mining project. If we back the Apache's call
with tens of thousands of voices nationwide, we can help protect this land
for good.

Next month, tribal leaders are planning a cross-country trip to DC to defend
the land that's hosted important ceremonies for generations. If enough of us
stand with the Apache, we can meet them on arrival and build a huge
groundswell of support for their courageous fight on Capitol Hill. Sign now:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_the_apache_loc/?blJLibb&v=61248

The Oak Flat area of the Tonto National Forest in Arizona has had protected
status since the Eisenhower Administration, out of recognition of its
natural beauty and cultural significance. The local San Carlos Apache use if
for coming of age ceremonies and other rituals. And repeated attempts to
open the land up to mining have failed to pass Congress. That's why
Arizona's Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake's decision to tie the
provision to a critical national defense vote last year was so cynical.

Supporters of the mining plan say it will bring jobs to the area, but local
leaders question the benefits and highlight the cost. And that cost is
clear: A massive 2 mile-long copper mine at Oak Flat would destroy a holy
site that Apache have used since time immemorial. It boggles the mind that
in 2015 the US government is still stomping on Native American rights like
this, at the behest of foreign mining interests to boot.

Let's join the fight to protect this sacred land. When enough of us have
signed to get Congress's attention, we'll deliver our call to leaders in
Congress and stand shoulder to shoulder with the Apache to defend against
this attack on their heritage. Sign now and spread the
word:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_the_apache_loc/?blJLibb&v=61248

From the Brazil to Tanzania, our community has stood behind local
communities protecting their natural and cultural heritage. Now we have a
critical opportunity to make sure our own government honors its commitments
and moral responsibility to the Apache.

With hope and determination,

Nick, Joseph, Rewan, Emma and the rest of the Avaaz team

More Information:

Selling Off Apache Holy Land (New York Times)
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/opinion/selling-off-apache-holy-land.html
(http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/opinion/selling-off-apache-holy-land.html
?_r=0)

Tribe's protest of mine plan near Superior is in 3rd week (Arizona Daily
Star)
http://tucson.com/news/state-and-regional/tribe-s-protest-of-mine-plan-near-
superior-is-in/article_f551fab1-853b-5826-9037-9ddb3739e5fc.html

Apache tribe distressed by privatization of sacred land (Arizona Daily Star)
http://tucson.com/news/apache-tribe-distressed-by-privatization-of-sacred-la
nd/article_c8f9f32c-80c0-11e4-a781-a7334409bcc3.html

Save Oak Flat
http://www.apache-stronghold.com

Opponents renew fight against Superior copper mine
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/politics/2015/06/17/superior-cop
per-mine-congress-bill-stop/28894741/
Avaaz.org is a 41-million-person global campaign network that works to
ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18
countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages.
Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer";> or follow us on facebook
here: http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz or twitter here:
http://twitter.com/AvaazThis message was sent to carjar82@xxxxxxxxx.
To change your email address, language, or other information, contact us
here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footerWant to leave this list? Send a
https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=7897240999&email=carjar82@xxxxxxxxx
&v=61248&lang=enTo
contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us via
the form at http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact. You can also call us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US).