[blind-democracy] FW: What we can do after Paris and Beirut

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 21:32:38 -0500

_____

From: Heidi Hess & Murshed Zaheed, CREDO Action [mailto:act@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2015 6:09 PM
To: Miriam Vieni
Subject: What we can do after Paris and Beirut

CREDO action
<http://d2omw6a1nm6pnh.cloudfront.net/images/logo-credo-120.png>
After
<http://act.credoaction.com/sign/reject_hate_beirut_paris?t=1&akid=16140.967
351.7J6a4_> Beirut and Paris: Reject hate and show compassion

Petition to President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry:
"As we stand with the victims of horrific violence in Paris, Beirut and
elsewhere in the world, we urge you to reject hate directed towards Muslims,
resist pressure for increased militarization, and show compassion by
immediately expanding the number of refugees the United States will accept."

Add your name:

<http://act.credoaction.com/sign/reject_hate_beirut_paris?t=2&akid=16140.967
351.7J6a4_> Sign the petition ?

Dear Miriam,

<http://act.credoaction.com/sign/reject_hate_beirut_paris?t=3&akid=16140.967
351.7J6a4_> Tell President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry to
reject hate directed at Muslims, resist pressure for increased
militarization, and show compassion by immediately expanding the number of
refugees the United States will accept.

The horrific events in Paris and Beirut,1 where 169 men, women and children
were indiscriminately killed, are difficult to comprehend. We stand with the
victims, their families, and the people of Paris and Beirut.

We also stand in solidarity with those who are most likely to become the
victims of backlash and violence over the coming weeks - Muslims in France
and the rest of the world, including the millions of refugees fleeing Syria,
Yemen and other countries to escape the same violence and hate that
destroyed so many lives in Beirut and Paris.

Terrorists act to divide us, to stoke fear, and amplify hate. They aim to
break our bonds of humanity. We cannot give in to fear.

Tell
<http://act.credoaction.com/sign/reject_hate_beirut_paris?t=4&akid=16140.967
351.7J6a4_> President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry to
reject hate directed towards Muslims, resist pressure for increased
militarization, and show compassion by immediately expanding the number of
refugees the United States will accept. Click here to sign the petition.

The extreme right-wing immediately reacted to the horrific violence in Paris
by attacking immigrants and by ratcheting up militaristic rhetoric.2
Republican politicians, including presidential candidates Ben Carson, Donald
Trump, and Sen. Ted Cruz pounced in support of the right-wing's xenophobic
push to let fear close our borders rather than open our arms.3

Within hours of the Paris attacks, Sen. Cruz even seemed ready to justify
the killing of civilians in the name of fighting terror when he said: "[Our
enemy] will not be deterred by targeted airstrikes with zero tolerance for
civilian casualties, when the terrorists have such utter disregard for
innocent life."4

We need to push back hard against the right-wing leaders and media elites
who want to blame refugees, the overwhelming majority of whom are innocent
civilians seeking to escape terrible violence and bloodshed.

And, we must stop fueling the cycle of violence with reactive military
force, which will only lead to increased radicalization and more deadly
attacks. It is important to remember that it was the use of U.S. military
force in Iraq that destabilized the region and created the environment that
helped ISIS thrive in the first place.

As noted in a compelling column in Rolling Stone:

We've bombed hospitals and weddings. We've killed children with drones. If
those are the only responses we can muster to terrorism, we will create
generation after generation of people who want to strike back. That doesn't
make us responsible for attacks against us; only those who carry them out
bear that responsibility.

Our responsibility is to be better than the terrorists, and to show those
who might be seduced by their hatred that the world isn't narrow and ugly.
Closing off our borders to terrorized refugees sends exactly the wrong
message.5

Over 7.5 million refugees from Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia and elsewhere
have left their homes, fleeing violence to protect their families. When they
arrive on U.S. shores, they are often turned away.6 Currently, the U.S. is
planning to accept only 70,000 refugees for the fiscal year of 2015.7 But
the U.S. must do significantly more for the sake of peace and America's long
term interests.8

Tell
<http://act.credoaction.com/sign/reject_hate_beirut_paris?t=5&akid=16140.967
351.7J6a4_> President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry to
reject hate directed at Muslims, resist pressure for increased
militarization, and show compassion by immediately expanding the number of
refugees the United States will accept. Click here to sign the petition.

At CREDO, we reject the politics of hate and fear, and condemn those who
peddle it; we reject any attempts to demonize Muslim, Arab or South Asian
communities; and we reject any efforts to use the tragedies in Paris and
Beirut to justify deportations, the suspension of civil rights, or the
closure of our borders. We call on President Obama and Secretary of State
Kerry to stand with us.

Please join us in making clear to President Obama and Secretary of State
Kerry that Americans want them to reject hate, resist calls for a
militaristic response and show compassion by immediately expanding the
number of refugees the United States will accept.

Click the link below to sign the petition:

http://act.credoaction.com/sign/reject_hate_beirut_paris?t=7
<http://act.credoaction.com/sign/reject_hate_beirut_paris?t=6&akid=16140.967
351.7J6a4_> &akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_

Thank you for speaking out.

Heidi, Murshed, Josh, Jin, Mark, Jordan and Elijah
CREDO <http://act.credoaction.com/go/109?t=8&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_>
Action from Working Assets

Add your name:

<http://act.credoaction.com/sign/reject_hate_beirut_paris?t=9&akid=16140.967
351.7J6a4_> Sign the petition ?

1. Anne Barnard, "Beirut,
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10192?t=10&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> Also the
Site of Deadly Attacks, Feels Forgotten," The New York Times, November 15,
2015.

2. AJ Vicens, "Here
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10193?t=11&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> Are the
Most Horrible Tweets About the Paris Tragedy," Motherjones.com, November 13,
2015.

3. Lauren Kelley, "Ben
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10194?t=12&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> Carson:
Ban Middle Eastern Refugees After Paris Attacks," RollingStone.com, November
13, 2015, and German Lopez, "This
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10195?t=13&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_>
congressman just showed how not to respond to the Paris attacks," Vox.com,
November 13, 2015, and Ben Schreckinger, "GOP
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10196?t=14&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_>
candidates link Paris attacks to immigration," Politico.com, November 15,
2015.

4. Judd Legum, "In
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10197?t=15&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> Response
To Paris, Ted Cruz Calls For Airstrikes With More 'Tolerance For Civilian
Casualties'," ThinkProgress.org, November 13, 2015

5. Jesse Berney, "After
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10198?t=16&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> Paris
Attacks, Don't Close Doors to Refugees - Open Them," RollingStone.com,
November 14, 2015.

6. The UN Refugee Agency, "Worldwide
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10199?t=17&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_>
displacement hits all-time high as war and persecution increase," unhcr.org,
June 18, 2015.

7. Office of the Press Secretary, "Presidential
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10200?t=18&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_>
Memorandum -- FY 2015 Refugee Admissions," Whitehouse.gov, September 30,
2014.

8. Faris Alikhan, "The
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10201?t=19&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> US
should accept more Syrian refugees to boost our national security,"
theguardian.com, October 26, 2015.

_____

<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10202?referring_akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_&t=20
&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> FB
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10202?referring_akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_&t=21
&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> Share on Facebook
Post to your wall
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10203?t=22&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> Tw
<http://act.credoaction.com/go/10203?t=23&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_> Tweet
this
Post to Twitter
<http://act.credoaction.com/o.gif?akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_>

C 2015 CREDO. All rights reserved.

This email was sent to miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

To change your email or mailing address, please click here:
https://act.credoaction.com/me/update/?t=25
<https://act.credoaction.com/me/update/?t=24&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_>
&akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_

To unsubscribe, please visit our subscription management page at:
351.7J6a4_> &akid=16140.967351.7J6a4_

<https://pixel.monitor1.returnpath.net/pixel.gif?r=885mR63kCokKq0CWh4QJ9Gq2R
w&s=&c=ak16140&aid=967351>
<http://list.credoaction.com/wf/open?upn=s8aFaxXaPKf6m13KBbT3E9gCAL-2FzVb2Rj
rmHSsh7H4zlZWmaBKGC5fFadkoEZdeCAPOrV4hYeBaNbEzLQDCsNdQJ02BNozpZtDphx0UmH3v0n
di5E6VnwIZt5SKwGgzvOGEAHwdquCPtd6IMrfiapmzGD4ed045eBbxwRKDZyQqB1IdSq2ye2gYtk
WS5uV5dsMkGk8ROsoUP0r-2BkQEd3fKJVWJmOldinbsPOSTo22g-2BsCMgFzTH4gYicHqFw8j0Wm
BPZW8eBYjNxUVIfOXxT3NRJE-2FwkGVITnZGxkPN6MJ84MtzvsMT2i6a3joam09z9>