[blind-democracy] Re: Change in discussion

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 21:30:20 -0500

I suppose that I would feel like an imposter if I participated in Christmas, but I don't. I have to acknowledge it, though, because to my great annoyance it is imposed on me for about the last quarter of each year. On the other hand, for many years I did celebrate the new year on the night of December 31. The bars were always crowded and it was fun to be among the crowd. There was also a greater number of drunk people out on that night and I find drunk people to be fun in small doses. However, for the last three or four years I have not participated in that either. It has just gotten to seem like too much trouble and a waste of money. I expect that this new year's eve I will be right where I am now and will go to bed at about the time the new year arrives, perhaps a few minutes earlier.
On 12/24/2016 11:25 AM, Miriam Vieni wrote:

Marsha,
I know exactly how you feel. I think that for a lot of people, the holiday season is just another means to escape reality. People talk about the spirit of the season, family, peace on earth, etc. The reality is that for many people, holidays are when family tensions become exaggerated. There's also a lot of pressure to conform to expectations when gift giving is part of one's tradition. People go into debt sometimes, because of this. And as far as Peace on Earth, well, that's clearly not in the cards. Of course, for me, Christmas has always been a borrowed holiday. When I did celebrate its superficial customs, I did so with the knowledge that I was an imposter. That feeling began when I was four years old and my father told me that this was the last year we could have a little Christmas tree because we were Jewish and Christmas wasn't really our holiday. We'd had a little tree for two or three years because my parents thought I'd enjoy the colored lights, but no more after this year. So while I was growing up, I enjoyed Christmas caroles, and glittery decorations in other people's houses, and I even received some gifts from my parents and aunt and uncle. Although, at the time, I felt as if I were being cheated, later on, seeing the kinds of emotional torment that the holiday season caused for many Christian people, I felt relieved. I've had close relationships with three non Jewish men who had drinking problems and Christmas was a terrible time for all three of them. But for others, the holiday rituals are comforting and give meaning to their lives. On the DB Review list, beginning in November each year, people read and review novels about Christmas. Some people read the same books every year, just like they sing the same caroles each year. This year, we will be experiencing a new phase of life in this country, one toward which we have been moving inexhorably. I don't think that trying to find a silver lining is in anyone's best interest because if people continue to deny what is happening, they will be unprepared to defend and protect themselves. Already, before Trump, the changes in our society have profoundly affected the lives of people in negative ways. People are stressed and little by little, the supports that used to help all of us in our daily lives, are disappearing.The changes have occurred gradually over a long period of time, and people have been forced to accept them. Some people don't realize that things were ever different. Someone whom I know, had a very serious operation on Tuesday. Back when life was normal, if you had serious surgery and would be seriously incapacitated by it for some period of time, you would probably be in the hospital for one or two weeks. This man was scheduled to come home the day after surgery. He was permitted one extra day because he was retaining fluid and needed a catheter. It is truly incomprehensible to me that a majority of our people are being robbed of comfort and security while trillions are spent on military exploits and a minority of people are encouraged by our system to accumulate millions of dollars.