[blind-democracy] Catching Up

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 21:52:10 -0500

Since this is the list that I usually have the most to say on I thought I would leave this note about being behind in my email. Back on November 25 I had a power outage and then a medical appointment. That was just when the traffic really picked up on Blind Democracy. The next day I had an ISP outage that lasted most of the day and then not too much later there was another medical appointment. These medical appointments take up most of a day every time what with transportation and usually having to wait while my ride takes care of personal business too. So I fell hundreds of messages behind in my email. I am dutifully reading every one though. Well, I may be skipping an occasional long article. But for over a month now I have been way behind in my email. Yesterday I thought I was finally making progress because I had it down to less than 200 messages. But more came in and as I type I have 279 facing me now. And again I am stepping away from it because I have other things to attend to. If I get back to it tonight it will have to be for only about one or two messages. Right now I am quitting while I am on messages received on the late afternoon of November 24. That is where I will take up tomorrow. I would find it easier to catch up if I did not stop to reply to so many messages. But I thought I would drop this note to explain why I am lately replying consistently to messages that are several days old.

Isaac Asimov
“Don't you believe in flying saucers, they ask me? Don't you believe in
telepathy? — in ancient astronauts? — in the Bermuda triangle? — in life after
death?
No, I reply. No, no, no, no, and again no.
One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst
out "Don't you believe in anything?"
Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement,
and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how
wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous
something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”
―  Isaac Asimov