[blind-democracy] Bernie Sanders Brilliantly Explains the Strategy of the 'Ruling Class' in Two Minutes

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 15:54:23 -0500

Published on Alternet (http://www.alternet.org)
Home > Bernie Sanders Brilliantly Explains the Strategy of the 'Ruling
Class' in Two Minutes
Bernie Sanders Brilliantly Explains the Strategy of the 'Ruling Class' in
Two Minutes
By Janet Allon [1] / AlterNet [2]
December 17, 2015
In his wide-ranging interview with "Killer Mike," Bernie Sanders drew on his
knowledge of the civil rights era to show how history repeats itself. His
point was that hatred of others often has its roots in economics, and that
it is always in the ruling class' interest to keep people down by dividing
them.
Here's how Sanders laid out his case to the philosophical rapper:
"In the 1950s, what state in this country had the lowest paid white
workers?"
Answer: Mississippi.
Sanders then explained:
What did the whole system tell these white workers, who were the lowest-paid
white workers in the U.S. - in other words, these workers were being
exploited.

What they said is, you can go over to that water fountain and take a drink,
and this black guy can't. You can go to this bathroom, you can go to this
restaurant. Man, you got it good!

Meanwhile, we're paying you nothing.

So you divided blacks from white, in that case, whites from blacks. It is
what they always do. And then they go, you see that woman over there? An
uppity woman wants your job, man. You're not gonna let that woman take your
job, you've got to divide from her. And that guy's gay over there, you gotta
hate him, he's going to destroy your marriage because he's gay, gotta hate
him. Oh, and there's a guy who talks with a Mexican accent, a little bit
Spanish. You're supposed to hate him.

That has been what the ruling class has done over and over again. Why?
Because they understand that when we come together, if we fight for decent
wages, for education for your kids, the right to Social Security, we win. If
they divide us, they win.
Watch [3] the video.
Share on Facebook Share
Share on Twitter Tweet

Report typos and corrections to 'corrections@xxxxxxxxxxxx'. [4]
[5]
Source URL:
http://www.alternet.org/economy/bernie-sanders-brilliantly-explains-strategy
-ruling-class-two-minutes
Links:
[1] http://www.alternet.org/authors/janet-allon
[2] http://alternet.org
[3]
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/12/17/bernie_sanders_to_american
s_dont_allow_yourselves_to_be_divided_and_conquered.html
[4] mailto:corrections@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=Typo on Bernie Sanders
Brilliantly Explains the Strategy of the &#039;Ruling Class&#039; in Two
Minutes
[5] http://www.alternet.org/
[6] http://www.alternet.org/%2Bnew_src%2B

[...]

Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.
Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.
Report typos and corrections to 'corrections@xxxxxxxxxxxx'. [4]
Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.[5]