[blind-democracy] Re: Another Misunderstanding

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 10:16:46 -0700

If the names were changed, your stories could come from my own life.
How easy it is to get a thought stuck in my head and go leading with
my big mouth. Oh, if only I'd shut up another minute, I'd save myself
from sticking "my Foot in Mouth".
Like the time I rode my first public bus in Sequim. I reached out to
put my fare in the box and the driver put his hand over the opening.
"You ride free", he said.
"No," I assured him, "I can afford to pay". "No," he said more
emphatically, "You don't pay."
Be certain that this driver was trying to help a poor blind man, I
spoke even more loudly, "I insist on paying my fair share".
Keeping his hand firmly on the box he turned to me and said, "Seniors
ride free in Sequim."
I sat down and put my money away. Damn! My white hair gave me away again.

Carl Jarvis

On 6/27/15, Roger Loran Bailey <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This comes from the same newspaper column that had the story about the
second grade teacher who ran into the father of one of her kids. The
columnist says that a young woman who rides the city buses reported this
one to him.
The woman is sitting on a bus when she notices an old man a few seats
away from her staring at her with a half smile on his face. She looks
away and later looks back and he is still looking at her. She is
becoming more and more nervous and starts thinking that this man could
be dangerous. She starts telling herself, if he gets off at my stop I am
going to run for it. She also starts fingering the pepper spray in her
purse. Finally the old man stands up and starts walking directly toward
her. Her alarm bells are really going off now.
When he reaches her he says, "Pardon me, are you a Bare?"
She answers in a voice that is right on the verge of panic. "Of course
I'm not a bear! I'm a human being! Are you crazy?"
The man looks confused for a moment and then starts laughing. He
explains what he was talking about. It turns out that he knows a family
named Bare and upon seeing her he thought she bore a physical
resemblance to the family. He was checking to see if she was related.