[blind-democracy] Re: A Drug Company Raised a Pill's Price 5,500 Percent Because, in America, It Can

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 20:21:32 -0400

This is another one that I have repeatedly explained. It is the labor theory of value. Just how do the rich get rich? Let me use the example of the slave again. If you have a slave you set the slave to work making a product. Since you don't pay the slave anything when you sell the product the price you get for it is worth the amount of labor the slave put into it. That is a rather abstract slave though. Let's look at what a real slave entails. In order to get labor out of a real slave you have to feed him and give him enough shelter and other amenities to keep him alive and productive. You then have to subtract the cost of that upkeep from the sale price of the product to determine your profit and it is that profit that is the value of the labor that you have stolen from the slave. Now, let's make the slave a wage worker. You hire a worker to make a product and then you have to subtract your payroll and any other expenses involved with employing labor to determine your profit and that is how much of the value of your employee you have stolen from him. Notice that in all of these scenarios you have done no productive labor at all. Every bit of the money you have made is stolen money. Profit is how one gets rich. If everyone received the value of his or her labor we would be all more or less equal in income as long as everyone contributes labor to the economy. There would, of course, be some people who could not manage the productive capacity of others because of disability or other special circumstances. It is those who are justified in receiving more than the value of their labor. In that case, everyone gets about as rich as everyone else. But we do not live in an economy of equality and the ones who get rich can only get rich by exploitation of others. That is why we should not allow some to get rich and that is why the entire profit system is inherently unfair.

On 9/23/2015 7:50 PM, Bob Hachey wrote:

Hi Roger,
I'm not sure I fully agree. If the level of wealth is limited, why can't we
have a few folks who are rather wealthy while others have less, but are not
suffering. Of course, for that to work, we'd have to have a much smaller
military.
Bob