[blind-chess] Re: blind-chess proposed spring/summer theme tournament

  • From: "Ginny Alverson" <sportsgirl17@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 17:53:16 -0500

Hi, Richard:  Please enter me in the proposed theme tournament.  Sounds
interesting.

Ginny and Elijah
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 23:03:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Jim Slagle <jamesrslagle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Fwd: invitation to play in the March/April chess
parlor

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 23:33:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Jim Slagle <jamesrslagle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Play Almost Over-The-Board Chess Free: Chess
Parlor

You are invited to attend our weekly International Chess Club Meeting on
Saturday in the Chess Parlor at for-the-people.com at 11:30 A.M. Eastern
Standard Time, 16:30 GMT or UTC.
Everything is free!
We can tell you how you can get free chess lessons, even if you have never
played this great game.
If you have any chess questions or would like to arrange a game, please
attend the meeting.
Our voice chat room "over-the-board" Chess Parlor Tournament and Ladder
Tournament and other things will be discussed.
Our tournaments are free and open to all, including beginners.
You are welcome to listen to any of our games in the Chess Parlor.
A game is played in a couple of hours.
It is voice-chat over-the-board chess.
It is not correspondence chess or email chess.
You will need to plug a microphone into your computer.
A microphone cost less than ten dollars.

P.S. For-the-people.com is a set of voice chat rooms.
It is free.
To register for for-the-people, go to the web site, for-the-people.com, and
follow the directions.
If you have a problem in registering or in entering the Chess Parlor room,
et cetera, email FTPTechTeam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After you have been accepted by for-the-people.com, to subscribe to
ftp-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, go to the for-the-people.com home page, and
follow the e-mail list link.

Keep checking,
Jim Slagle
U.S.A. Phone: 609 945 5415

------------------------------

From: "Ginny Alverson" <sportsgirl17@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] ladder challenge game with Dick McStraw is underway
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:34:15 -0500

Hi, Richard:  Dick McStraw challenged me to a ladder game on Saturday, Feb.
19.  I accepted his challenge and the game is underway.  Don't know if there
is a rule against playing more than one ladder game, but, if there isn't
anything in place to prevent that from happening, I would like to challenge
David Rosenkoetter to a rematch.
Thanks.

Ginny and Elijah
From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Revised Ladder Standings
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 07:56:23 -0800

Latest Ladder Order and Player Status:
Rank Name (color) status
1 Curtis Cockayne (W) vacation
2 Rebecca Blaevoet (W) available
3 Jessica Grib2 (W) defending in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
4 David Rosenkoetter (W) challenging in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
5 Ginny Alverson (B) available
6 Dick McStraw (W) available
7 Edward Zolotarevsky (B) defending in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
8 Stan Lovell (W) challenging in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
9 Allen Maynard (W) defending in Chaffin-Maynard
10 Chris Chaffin (B) challenging in Chaffin-Maynard
11 Lewis Wallach (B) defending in Wallach-Gieschen
12 Mike Allain (W) vacation
13 Paul Benson (B) available
14 Rod Macdonald (B) vacation
15 Randy Kruzeniski (W) available
16 Mike Gieschen (W) challenging in Wallach-Gieschen
17 Lucy Jensen (W) available
18 Alvin Blazik (B) defending in Jodhan-Blazik
19 Donna Jodhan (B) challenging in Jodhan-Blazik

------------------------------

From: "Lucy Jensen" <lucyjensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Lucy Jensen ladder challenge game
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:14:15 -0700

I would like to challenge Randy Kruzeniski to a ladder game   Lucy

------------------------------

From: "Chris C." <cchaffin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Ladder Challenge
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 11:26:05 -0500

Hello Richard and all,
I would like to challenge Dick McStraw to a ladder game if possible.
Thanks,
Chris Chaffin

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Ladder challenge game: Jensen-Kruzeniski Re: Lucy
Jensen
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:56:54 -0800

The Ladder challenge game:
Jensen-Kruzeniski
is scheduled Feb 22, please begin your game within 3 days.
Richard

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Ladder challenge game: McStraw-Chaffin Re: Ladder
Challe
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:01:36 -0800

The Ladder challenge game:
McStraw-Chaffin

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:03:13 -0800

Latest Ladder Order and Player Status:
Rank Name (color) status
1 Curtis Cockayne (W) vacation
2 Rebecca Blaevoet (W) available
3 Jessica Grib2 (W) defending in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
4 David Rosenkoetter (W) challenging in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
5 Ginny Alverson (B) available
6 Dick McStraw (W) defending in McStraw-Chaffin
7 Edward Zolotarevsky (B) defending in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
8 Stan Lovell (W) challenging in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
9 Chris Chaffin (W) challenging in McStraw-Chaffin
10 Allen Maynard (W) available
11 Lewis Wallach (B) defending in Wallach-Gieschen
12 Mike Allain (W) vacation
13 Paul Benson (B) available
14 Rod Macdonald (B) vacation
15 Randy Kruzeniski (W) defending in Jensen-Kruzeniski
16 Mike Gieschen (W) challenging in Wallach-Gieschen
17 Lucy Jensen (B) challenging in Jensen-Kruzeniski
18 Alvin Blazik (B) defending in Jodhan-Blazik
19 Donna Jodhan (B) challenging in Jodhan-Blazik

------------------------------

End of blind-chess Digest V2 #47
********************************

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Unscheduled game Re: ladder challenge game with Dick
McS
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:45:54 -0800

Hi Ginny,

Unfortunately, Dick did not schedule the game via the list as required by
the rules.  This rule was suggested and adopted by consensus early last
year.  In the interim, Chris has made a legal challenge to Dick and that
Ladder challenge has been accepted.  So you and Dick will have to either
wait until the scheduled game is completed or play your game as a friendly
game.

Dick is somewhat at a disadvantage in our group since he does not have or
use a computer.  But an email list is the fundamental concept with all
freelists groups and blind-chess is no exception.  Furthermore Dick's friend
John, who transfers moves via email for Dick, does not want all the list
mail cluttering up his computer so he does not receive any list messages.
This puts Dick seriously out of the loop and I do not know how to resolve
it.

Richard

From: "Lucy Jensen" <lucyjensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:14:15 -0700

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Jensen
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:56:54 -0800

The Ladder challenge game:

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Challe
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:01:36 -0800

The Ladder challenge game:
McStraw-Chaffin

From: "Roderick Macdonald" <rjmacdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Test message, plese ignore
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:17:23 -1000

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Spring-Summer Theme Tournament Proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:51:13 -0800

Hello Chessers,
The Fall-Winter Theme Tournament begins its last round March 1 and soon will
be completed.  Since you will then have nothing to do, I am planning another
theme tournament to keep you busy.

I am thinking of offering another Quad format theme tournament beginning
April 1 after conclusion of the Fall-Winter Theme.  I am proposing focusing
on the English Opening with three variations.

Round 1 and 4 Symmetrical ECO A30s 1. c4 c5
Round 2 and 5 Reverse Sicilian ECO A20s 1. c4 e5
Round 3 and 6 Other ECO A10s 1. c4 anything but c5 or e5.

Quad divisions will be grouped by your Elo rating on March 15 and
competition will begin April 1, 2011, the first anniversary of the
blind-chess list.  Each player would play each side of each selected opening
twice, once each color this time with the same opponent.  I am leaning
toward 1... Nf6 or 1... e6 for the other selection, but I am open to
suggestions from the players.

I think this would be an instructive opening for all players to study and
try out.  If you would like to enter or have suggestions please post to the
list.

Richard

------------------------------

From: "Roderick Macdonald" <rjmacdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Spring-Summer Theme Tournament Proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:09:19 -1000

I think it is a great idea and wish to be the first to sign up.
Rod

From: "Ginny Alverson" <sportsgirl17@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Re: blind-chess Digest V2 #43
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:35:24 -0500

Hi, Richard:  I would like to challenge Rebecca to a ladder game.  It seems
that Jessica and David are busy beating up on each other, so, Rebecca and I
should have a go at another game.  Thanks.

Ginny and Elijah
From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:35:51 -0800

Note: I put Mike Allain on vacation since he is ill.
Latest Ladder Order and Player Status:
Rank Name (color) status
1 Curtis Cockayne (W) vacation
2 Rebecca Blaevoet (W) available
3 Jessica Grib2 (W) defending in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
4 David Rosenkoetter (W) challenging in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
5 Ginny Alverson (B) available
6 Dick McStraw (W) available
7 Edward Zolotarevsky (B) defending in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
8 Stan Lovell (W) challenging in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
9 Allen Maynard (W) defending in Chaffin-Maynard
10 Chris Chaffin (B) challenging in Chaffin-Maynard
11 Lewis Wallach (B) defending in Wallach-Gieschen
12 Mike Allain (W) vacation
13 Paul Benson (B) available
14 Randy Kruzeniski (W) available
15 Mike Gieschen (W) challenging in Wallach-Gieschen
16 Rod Macdonald (W) available
17 Alvin Blazik (B) defending in Blazik-Jensen
18 Lucy Jensen (W) challenging in Blazik-Jensen
19 Donna Jodhan (W) available

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:43:37 -1000 (HST)
From: Roderick Macdonald <rmacd@xxxxxxxx>

I would like to challenge Randy K. to a ladder game.

Rod

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Solution to Problem WAC055
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:21:54 -0800

Good Afternoon Puzzlers,
Paul posted his analysis and solution for this problem last Sunday, but I am
just getting around to sending out the "official" answer.  Take a look at
Paul's analysis and especially the Queen move on Black move 3 in an attempt
to lure White off the mate.

As usual my solution follows and even though I did not originally see the
Queen move, I shamelessly included it here.

The best move is: 1. Qxg7+

Principle:
This problem is about recognizing the Bishop-Rook mating pattern in the
corner.  In fact many tactics revolve around recognizing tactticle patterns.
But here, the Queen must first remove a Pawn and force the King to g7.
1. Qxg7+ Kxg7, forced.
2. Bf6+ and the Black King has four flight squares (f8, g8, h7 or h6) none
of which will save him.
2... Kh6 is instant death with 3. Rh4#
2... Kh7 is only a bit slower with 3. Rh4+ followed by 4. Rh8#
2... Kg8 or Kf8 are also followed by
3. Rh4, remember it is still the same pattern.
Now the Black King may cry out like Henry II "Will no-one rid me of this
troublesome priest?"  So the Black Queen may try with:
3... Qd8 in an attempt to distract the Rook from the mate
4. Rh8#

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Problem WAC056
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:27:10 -0800

Good Afternoon Puzzlers,
This problem is from Mario Lang's puzzle web page at
http://delysid.org/chess/epd.cgi

 and is reported to be from Fred Reinfield's book "Win At Chess" 1958.

Problem WAC056

Black to move

FEN Problem Setup:
r1bqk2r/
pppp1ppp/
5n2/
2b1n3/
4P3/
1BP3Q1/
PP3PPP/
RNB1K1NR
 b - - 0 1

Short Algebraic Problem Setup:
White: Ke1, Qg3, Ra1, Rh1, Bb3, Bc1, Nb1, Ng1, Pa2, Pb2, Pc3, Pe4, Pf2, Pg2,
Ph2
Black: Ke8, Qd8, Ra8, Rh8, Bc5, Bc8, Ne5, Nf6, Pa7, Pb7, Pc7, Pd7, Pf7, Pg7,
Ph7

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Ladder challenge game: Macdonald-Kruzeniski Re:
Ladder C
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:35:25 -0800

The Ladder challenge game:
Macdonald-Kruzeniski
is scheduled Feb 17, please begin your game within 3 days.

Richard

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:36:31 -0800

Latest Ladder Order and Player Status:
Rank Name (color) status
1 Curtis Cockayne (W) vacation
2 Rebecca Blaevoet (W) available
3 Jessica Grib2 (W) defending in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
4 David Rosenkoetter (W) challenging in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
5 Ginny Alverson (B) available
6 Dick McStraw (W) available
7 Edward Zolotarevsky (B) defending in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
8 Stan Lovell (W) challenging in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
9 Allen Maynard (W) defending in Chaffin-Maynard
10 Chris Chaffin (B) challenging in Chaffin-Maynard
11 Lewis Wallach (B) defending in Wallach-Gieschen
12 Mike Allain (W) vacation
13 Paul Benson (B) available
14 Randy Kruzeniski (W) defending in Macdonald-Kruzeniski
15 Mike Gieschen (W) challenging in Wallach-Gieschen
16 Rod Macdonald (B) challenging in Macdonald-Kruzeniski

From: Eddyz69@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:48:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [blind-chess] Spoiler Alert Problem WAC056

Hello All,
Look at the orientation of the white queen relative to the king with a pawn
 separating them.  Doctor Z's solution:
1. -Bxf2+
2. Kxf2 Nxe4+ (royal fork)
3. King moves. Nxg3 (Knight takes queen.)

2. Qxf2 Nd3+ (royal fork)

3. King moves. Nxf2 (Knight takes queen.)
Edward

End of blind-chess Digest V2 #43

From: "alvin blazik" <ablazik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:35:57 -0500

Hi Richard,
Please add my name to the list of participants.
Alvin