[blind-chess] Re: blind-chess Digest V2 #43

  • From: "Ginny Alverson" <sportsgirl17@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:35:24 -0500

Hi, Richard:  I would like to challenge Rebecca to a ladder game.  It seems
that Jessica and David are busy beating up on each other, so, Rebecca and I
should have a go at another game.  Thanks.

Ginny and Elijah
From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Revised Ladder Standings
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:35:51 -0800

Note: I put Mike Allain on vacation since he is ill.
Latest Ladder Order and Player Status:
Rank Name (color) status
1 Curtis Cockayne (W) vacation
2 Rebecca Blaevoet (W) available
3 Jessica Grib2 (W) defending in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
4 David Rosenkoetter (W) challenging in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
5 Ginny Alverson (B) available
6 Dick McStraw (W) available
7 Edward Zolotarevsky (B) defending in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
8 Stan Lovell (W) challenging in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
9 Allen Maynard (W) defending in Chaffin-Maynard
10 Chris Chaffin (B) challenging in Chaffin-Maynard
11 Lewis Wallach (B) defending in Wallach-Gieschen
12 Mike Allain (W) vacation
13 Paul Benson (B) available
14 Randy Kruzeniski (W) available
15 Mike Gieschen (W) challenging in Wallach-Gieschen
16 Rod Macdonald (W) available
17 Alvin Blazik (B) defending in Blazik-Jensen
18 Lucy Jensen (W) challenging in Blazik-Jensen
19 Donna Jodhan (W) available

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:43:37 -1000 (HST)
From: Roderick Macdonald <rmacd@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Ladder Challenge

I would like to challenge Randy K. to a ladder game.

Rod

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Solution to Problem WAC055
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:21:54 -0800

Good Afternoon Puzzlers,
Paul posted his analysis and solution for this problem last Sunday, but I am
just getting around to sending out the "official" answer.  Take a look at
Paul's analysis and especially the Queen move on Black move 3 in an attempt
to lure White off the mate.

As usual my solution follows and even though I did not originally see the
Queen move, I shamelessly included it here.

The best move is: 1. Qxg7+

Principle:
This problem is about recognizing the Bishop-Rook mating pattern in the
corner.  In fact many tactics revolve around recognizing tactticle patterns.
But here, the Queen must first remove a Pawn and force the King to g7.
1. Qxg7+ Kxg7, forced.
2. Bf6+ and the Black King has four flight squares (f8, g8, h7 or h6) none
of which will save him.
2... Kh6 is instant death with 3. Rh4#
2... Kh7 is only a bit slower with 3. Rh4+ followed by 4. Rh8#
2... Kg8 or Kf8 are also followed by
3. Rh4, remember it is still the same pattern.
Now the Black King may cry out like Henry II "Will no-one rid me of this
troublesome priest?"  So the Black Queen may try with:
3... Qd8 in an attempt to distract the Rook from the mate
4. Rh8#

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Problem WAC056
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:27:10 -0800

Good Afternoon Puzzlers,
This problem is from Mario Lang's puzzle web page at
http://delysid.org/chess/epd.cgi

 and is reported to be from Fred Reinfield's book "Win At Chess" 1958.

Problem WAC056

Black to move

FEN Problem Setup:
r1bqk2r/
pppp1ppp/
5n2/
2b1n3/
4P3/
1BP3Q1/
PP3PPP/
RNB1K1NR
 b - - 0 1

Short Algebraic Problem Setup:
White: Ke1, Qg3, Ra1, Rh1, Bb3, Bc1, Nb1, Ng1, Pa2, Pb2, Pc3, Pe4, Pf2, Pg2,
Ph2
Black: Ke8, Qd8, Ra8, Rh8, Bc5, Bc8, Ne5, Nf6, Pa7, Pb7, Pc7, Pd7, Pf7, Pg7,
Ph7

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Ladder challenge game: Macdonald-Kruzeniski Re:
Ladder C
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:35:25 -0800

The Ladder challenge game:
Macdonald-Kruzeniski
is scheduled Feb 17, please begin your game within 3 days.

Richard

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:36:31 -0800

Latest Ladder Order and Player Status:
Rank Name (color) status
1 Curtis Cockayne (W) vacation
2 Rebecca Blaevoet (W) available
3 Jessica Grib2 (W) defending in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
4 David Rosenkoetter (W) challenging in Grib2-Rosenkoetter
5 Ginny Alverson (B) available
6 Dick McStraw (W) available
7 Edward Zolotarevsky (B) defending in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
8 Stan Lovell (W) challenging in Zolotarevsky-Lovell
9 Allen Maynard (W) defending in Chaffin-Maynard
10 Chris Chaffin (B) challenging in Chaffin-Maynard
11 Lewis Wallach (B) defending in Wallach-Gieschen
12 Mike Allain (W) vacation
13 Paul Benson (B) available
14 Randy Kruzeniski (W) defending in Macdonald-Kruzeniski
15 Mike Gieschen (W) challenging in Wallach-Gieschen
16 Rod Macdonald (B) challenging in Macdonald-Kruzeniski

From: Eddyz69@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:48:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [blind-chess] Spoiler Alert Problem WAC056

Hello All,
Look at the orientation of the white queen relative to the king with a pawn
 separating them.  Doctor Z's solution:
1. -Bxf2+
2. Kxf2 Nxe4+ (royal fork)
3. King moves. Nxg3 (Knight takes queen.)

2. Qxf2 Nd3+ (royal fork)

3. King moves. Nxf2 (Knight takes queen.)
Edward