[blind-chess] Re: blind-chess Digest V2 #180

  • From: "Ginny Alverson" <sportsgirl17@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:50:59 -0400

Hi, richard and all:  I'd like to echo Anna's thoughts for an easy and
economical way to communicate and play chess.  Skype is a free program that
lets people make phonecalls over the internet as well as share files and
more with each other.  Scripts for Jaws users are available.  I have also
used this free utility with system access and window eyes.  Give this a try.
Mentoring is a wonderful way to teach and help all of us improve our games.

Ginny and Elijah
From: Rebecca Blaevoet <amrywoddyddiauheulog@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 06:38:55 +0100

It came through, Alvin. Nice to see you back!
Rebecca

------------------------------

From: "Roderick Macdonald" <rjmacdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Annotated Game #050: Carl Schlechter - Mikhail
Chigorin,
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:36:51 -1000

Annotated Game #050:
Carl Schlechter - Mikhail Chigorin, Cambridge Springs 1904, Round 13
Adapted and Condensed from
Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
Contents:

++1.    Carl Schlechter
++1.A   Early life
++1.B   Lasker-Schlechter match
++1.C   Later life
++1.D   Assessment
++1.E   List of opening variations named after Schlechter
++1.F   Notable chess games
++2.    Mikhail Ivanovich Chigorin
++2.A   Chess career
++2.B   Style and demeanour
++2.C   Later life
++2.D   Legacy
++2.E   In popular culture
++3.    Carl Schlechter - Mikhail Chigorin, Cambridge Springs 1904,
        Round 13

++1.    Carl Schlechter

Carl Schlechter (March 2, 1874 - December 27, 1918) was a leading
Austrian chess master and theoretician at the turn of the 20th
century. He is best known for drawing a World Chess Championship
match with Emanuel Lasker.

++1.A   Early life

Schlechter was born into a Catholic family in Vienna. He is
sometimes deemed to be Jewish, though others dispute this. He began
playing chess at the age of 13. His first and only teacher was an
Austria-Hungarian chess problemist, Dr. Samuel Gold.

From 1893 onwards he played in over 50 international chess
tournaments. He won or shared first at Munich 1900 (the 12th DSB
Congress), Coburg 1904 (the 14th DSB Congress), Ostend 1906,
Stockholm 1906, in the Vienna 1908 chess tournament, in the Prague
1908 chess tournament, in the Hamburg 1910 chess tournament (the
17th DSB Congress), and thrice in the Trebitsch Memorial in Vienna
(1911, 1912, 1913).

He played several matches; drew with Georg Marco (+0 -0 ) in
1893, drew with Marco and Adolf Zinkl, both (+4 -4 =3) in 1894,
drew with Dawid Janowski (+2 -2 =3) in 1896, drew with Simon Alapin
(+1 -1 =4) in 1899, beat Janowski (+6 -1 =3) in 1902, drew with
Richard Teichmann (+1 -1 =1) in 1904, and drew with Siegbert
Tarrasch (+3 -3 ) in 1911.

++1.B   Lasker-Schlechter match
In 1910 Schlechter played a match against Emanuel Lasker for the
World Chess Championship (in Vienna and Berlin). It is now
generally accepted that Schlechter needed to score +2 win the match
and thus he needed to win the tenth game. But, in the tenth game,
tragedy struck: after first achieving a won game, he blundered into
a clearly drawn position, and then blundered again which led to the
loss of the game for him. The match ended tied at 5-5 (+1 -1 =8)
and Lasker retained his title. For details on the match, see World
Chess Championship 1910 (Lasker-Schlechter). In any case,
Schlechter distinguished himself by being the first person in 16
years to seriously threaten to claim Lasker's world title.

++1.C   Later life

During World War I, he thrice won Trebitsch Memorial in Vienna. In
the last year of his life, he took third in Vienna, lost a match to
Akiba Rubinstein (+1 -2 =3), took second place in Berlin
(Quadrangular, Milan Vidmar won), tied for third place in Kaschau,
and took third place in Berlin (Quadrangular, Emanuel Lasker won).
Schlechter died of pneumonia and starvation on December 27, 1918,
and was buried in Budapest on December 31, 1918.

++1.D   Assessment

The Carl Schlechter-Arthur Kaufmann-Hugo Fdhndrich trio propagated
the Viennese chess school, founded by Max Weiss in the 19th
century.

Schlechter prepared the eighth and final edition of the famous
Handbuch des Schachspiels openings treatise. Published in eleven
parts between 1912 and 1916, it totaled 1,040 pages and included
contributions by Rudolf Spielmann, Siegbert Tarrasch, and Richard
Teichmann. International Master William Hartston called it "a
superb work, perhaps the last to encase successfully the whole of
chess knowledge within a single volume."

He was a typical example of a gentleman chess player of old,
offering courteous draws to opponents who felt unwell. If his
opponent arrived late for a game, Schlechter would inconspicuously
subtract an equal amount of time from his own clock. He also
mentored many of his rivals, including Oldrich Duras.

++1.E   List of opening variations named after Schlechter

There are several "Schlechter Variations" in the chess openings:
*       Schlechter Gambit of the Bird's Opening 1. f4 e5 2. fxe5
        Nc6
*       Schlechter Variation of the French Defence 1. e4 e6 2. d4
        d5 3. Bd3
*       Schlechter Variation of the Slav Defence 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6
        3. Nf3 Nf6 4. e3 g6 (or via a Gruenfeld move-order, 1. d4
        Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. e3 c6)
*       Schlechter Variation of the Danish Gambit 1. e4 e5 2. d4
        exd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Bc4 cxb2 5. Bxb2 d5
++1.F   Notable chess games

*       Fried-Schlechter, Vienna 1894, From's Gambit (A02), 0-1 A
        breezy 14-move win by Schlechter, who sacrifices his queen
        and mates his opponent's king in the middle of the board.
*       Bernhard Fleissig-Schlechter, Vienna 1895, Polish Opening:
        General (A00), 0-1 One of Schlechter's most famous games,
        a scintillating win where Black sacrificed both his rooks
        and both his bishops.
*       Schlechter-Steinitz, Cologne 1898 Vienna Game (C28), 1-0
        Schlechter routs the former World Champion in 24 moves.
*       Schlechter-Meitner, Vienna 1899, Italian Game: Classical
        Variation. Greco Gambit Moeller-Therkatz Attack (C54), 1-0
        An interesting combination in the endgame: White sacrifices
        his queen, then makes a quiet move with his king - and
        black is unable to prevent a mate in two moves.

++2.    Mikhail Ivanovich Chigorin

Mikhail Ivanovich Chigorin (also spelled Tchigorin or Tschigorin)
(November 12, 1850 - (October 31 old style), Gatchina, Russia -
January 25, 1908, Lublin, Poland) was a leading Russian chess
player. He served as a major source of inspiration for the "Soviet
school of chess", which dominated the chess world in the middle and
latter parts of the 20th century.

++2.A   Chess career

Chigorin was born near Saint Petersburg and moved to the city some
time later. His father worked in the Okhtensk gunpowder works.
Chigorin's parents died young and Chigorin entered the Gatchinsk
Orphans' Institute at the age of 10. He became serious about chess
uncommonly late in life; his schoolteacher taught him the moves at
the age of 16, but he did not take to the game until around 1874,
having first finished his studies before commencing a career as a
government officer.

Once smitten with the game, he terminated his employment and
started life as a chess professional. In 1876, he started a chess
magazine, Chess Sheet, which he edited until 1881 (only 250
subscribers in all of Russia). He played a series of matches with
established masters Emanuel Schiffers (1878-1880) and Semyon Alapin
(1880) and notched up a large plus score against each. It was not
long after that he was regarded as the best player in the city and
possibly the whole of Russia.

His first international tournament was Berlin 1881, where he was
equal third (+10 -5 =1) with Simon Winawer, behind Johannes
Zukertort and Joseph Henry Blackburne. There were 17 master
competitors in this event.

At the great London tournament of 1883, he finished fourth (+16 -10
=0) behind Zukertort, Wilhelm Steinitz and Blackburne. There were
14 competitors in this double round robin event. The tournament
included practically all the best chessplayers in the world.

At the very strong tournament of New York 1889 he was equal first
with Max Weiss. Following this great success he challenged the
world champion Steinitz for a match with the World Championship at
stake.

The match was played at Havana in 1889, but he lost 10.5-6.5 (+6
-10 =1). A second match was played also at Havana in 1892, but he
still lost 12.5-10.5 (+8 -10 =5). His overall record against
Steinitz was very close (+24 -27 =8). He also played a much
publicised 'telegraph match' against Steinitz in 1890, devised to
settle a theoretical argument. Chigorin had the slight advantage of
choosing the openings in advance from a list supplied by Steinitz
and duly won both games.

Towards the end of the century, his standing at home and abroad
continued to rise, and he joined the ranks of the world's top four
or five players. His reputation as a match player too, continued to
grow. He drew an 1893 match with Siegbert Tarrasch in Saint
Petersburg (+9 -9 =4) and in his lifetime, maintained a narrow plus
score against the German (+14 -13 =8), who was a fearsome player in
his own right. He had a strong plus score against Richard Teichmann
(+8 -3 =1), but a poor record versus Dawid Janowski (+4 -17 =4).
Most of his losses to Janowski occurred late in Chigorin's life,
when he was past his best.

In all likelihood, his best performance occurred at the Hastings
1895 chess tournament, where he placed second, ahead of reigning
world champion Emanuel Lasker, Tarrasch and former world champion
Steinitz. All of the greatest players of the time participated in
the event and Chigorin's outstanding result included winning his
individual encounter with tournament victor, Harry Nelson
Pillsbury. Pillsbury had great respect for Chigorin's ability and
for good reason, as Chigorin had a marginal lifetime plus score
against him (+8 -7 =6). Although Chigorin had a poor record against
Lasker in serious play (+1 -8 =4), he was victorious with the black
pieces in their first game of this 1895 tournament, in which he
outplayed Lasker in a classic two knights versus two bishops
ending.

In other major competitions, he was joint winner at Budapest 1896,
and beat Rudolf Charousek (+3 -1) in the playoff. At Cologne in
1898, he was equal second with Charousek and Wilhelm Cohn after
Amos Burn. His 7th place finish at London 1899 was disappointing in
comparison, but this was another tournament notable for its
impressive list of participants. At Monte Carlo 1901, he placed
equal third after Janowski and Carl Schlecter.

A highly skilled exponent of gambit lines, he won the King's
Gambit-themed Vienna Tournament of 1903 and defeated Lasker (+2 -1
=3) in a sponsored Rice Gambit tournament in Brighton. The latter
was however something of a hollow victory, as it was emerging that
the Rice Gambit was unsound and so, playing the black side in each
game gave him a distinct advantage. At Lodz 1906, in a four-person
event, he finished second to Akiba Rubinstein.

Alongside these international events, he also entered and won the
first three All-Russia Tournaments of 1899, 1900-01 and 1903. These
prestigious successes further cemented his reputation as Russia's
best player. Upon losing the fourth such event in 1906, he
challenged the winner Gersz Salwe to a match and came out the
victor (+7 =3 -5).

++2.B   Style and demeanour

His playing style featured a well honed tactical ability and an
imaginative approach to the opening. He rejected many of the
inflexible doctrines put forward by Tarrasch and Steinitz, but
accepted Steinitz' teachings about the soundness of the defensive
centre. Indeed, he went on to add to the development of the concept
through the work he carried out with closed variations of the Ruy
Lopez. He also pioneered some variations of the Slav Defense.

Although a large bearded man, Chigorin was also described as
'decidedly handsome'.

Frank Marshall once commented on the highly agitated state that
would possess Chigorin when faced with difficult positions. Aside
from the usual frantic foot-tapping and crossing of legs, he would
occasionally become "a bundle of nerves", at which point his
temperament could turn "quite fierce".

++2.C   Later life

As an ambassador for Russian chess, Chigorin was a shining example;
he gave many lectures, wrote magazine articles and chess columns
and subsidised or otherwise supported a number of periodicals to
keep them afloat despite low readership levels. He also founded a
chess club in Saint Petersburg and tried for many years to
establish a chess association, an attempt that finally succeeded
just a few years after his death.

According to the Canadian International Master Lawrence Day,
Chigorin travelled with the young Fedor Bohatirchuk to Russian
events in the 1905-1907 period, helping to train him. After moving
to Canada following World War II, Bohatirchuk then trained Day.

In 1907, Chigorin failed badly in a chess tournament and clearly
not in good health, was diagnosed by doctors in Carlsbad with an
advanced and untreatable case of diabetes. This prompted a
prediction that he had only months to live, whereupon he returned
to his estranged wife and daughter in Lublin and died the following
January. In 1909, a Chigorin Memorial tournament was played in St.
Petersburg, after that many more followed, from 1947 onwards mainly
in Sochi and from 1990 back in St. Petersburg.

++2.D   Legacy
Through his original talent, lively games and prolific teachings,
many Russians regard Mikhail Chigorin as the founder of their
'School of Chess', later to become known as the Soviet School of
Chess. Overshadowed to some extent in the 1920s by the exciting new
theories of the hypermodern movement, Chigorin's influence
nevertheless demands a prominent and permanent place in the Soviet
chess hegemony of the 20th century.

Chigorin has several chess openings or variations of openings named
after him, the two most important being the Chigorin Variation of
the Ruy Lopez (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. 0-0 Be7
6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 d6 8. c3 0-0 9. h3 Na5) and the Chigorin Defense
to the Queen's Gambit (1. d4 d5 2. c4 Nc6). Whilst the former has
remained popular through the 1900s, the latter struggled to attract
a great many devotees until relatively recently. Igor Miladinovic
has used the Chigorin Defense with great regularity, but its
current revival owes much to the efforts of Alexander Morozevich,
who has championed the opening both in play and in his book - The
Chigorin Defense According To Morozevich (published 2007).

Another opening line invented by Chigorin is 1.e4 e6 2.Qe2 in the
French Defense. It is now generally regarded as a forerunner of
King's Indian setups, but Chigorin also played it with other ideas
(such as b2-b3) in mind.

++2.E   In popular culture

A famous Chigorin game played against Steinitz in 1892 is used as
the base for the plot of The Squares of the City, a 1978 science-
fiction novel by John Brunner.

++3.    Carl Schlechter - Mikhail Chigorin, Cambridge Springs 1904,
        Round 13

Cambridge Springs 1904, Round 13
White: Carl Schlechter
Black: Mikhail Chigorin
Result: 0-1
ECO: C92 - Ruy Lopez, Morphy Variation, Closed Variation, Kholmov
Variation
Notes by R.J. Macdonald

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5

(this opening sequence is known as the Ruy Lopez, or the Spanish Opening. It
is one of the oldest and most respected openings. In the more than 400 years
of practice, just about everything has been tried as a defense against
white's third move. Here are the alternatives black has tried over the
years:
*       3. ... Bb4 - the Alapin Variation
*       3. ... Qf6 - The Frankfurt Variation
*       3. ... Nge7 - The Cozio Variation
*       3. ... g5 - the Brentano Variation
*       3. ... f6 - The Nuernberg Variation
*       3. ... Be7 - The Spanish: Lucena Variation
*       3. ... Na5 - The Pollock Variation
*       3. ... Qe7 - The Vinogradov Variation
*       3. ... g6 - The Barnes Variation
*       3. ... Nd4 - the Bird
*       3. ... d6 - the Steinitz Variation
*       3. ... f5 - The Schliemann Variation
*       3. ... Bc5 - The Classical Variation
*       3. ... Nf6 - the Berlin Variation
*       3. ... The Morphy Variation
(Listed in no particular order.))

3. ... a6

(The Morphy Variation, probably black's most popular third move. White is
now forced to either exchange the bishop for black's knight (the Exchange
Variation), or else move the bishop for the second time in four moves.)

4. Ba4 Nf6
5. 0-0 Be7
6. Re1 b5

(With this move black has several objectives. First, black relieves the
virtual pin on the c6 knight so that the d-pawn can advance without concern
for an exchange on c6. Additionally, white is now forced to move the bishop
for a third time, and black can now position his c8 bishop on b7, where it
can exert pressure on the center. Finally, black is preparing a potential
queenside attack.)

7. Bb3

(This sequence of moves is known as the "closed" Ruy Lopez. Black now has
two primary moves to choose from - 7. ... 0-0 or 7. ... d6. The latter move
commits black to the classical Closed Ruy Lopez, while the former move keeps
black's options open for another move.)

7. ... d6

(7. ... - 8. c3 d5 is known as the Marshall Attack.)

8. c3 0-0
9. h3

(Also possible here is the Yates Variation, 9. d4. Black equalizes easily
after (a) 9. ... Bb7 10. Bc2 exd4 11. cxd4 Nb4 12. Nc3 Nxc2 13. Qxc2 Rc8 14.
Bf4 c5 15. dxc5 Rxc5 16. Qd3 d5; or (b) 9. ... Re8 10. Nbd2 Bb7 11. a3 h6
12. h3 Bf8 13. Bc2 d5 14. exd5 Qxd5 15. Ne4 exd4 16. Nxf6+ gxf6.)

9. ... Be6

(This move is known as the Kholmov Variation.)

10. d4

(10. a4 Bxb3 11. Qxb3 Na5 12. Qc2 c5 13. d3 Nc6 14. Na3 Rb8 15. Bd2 Qd7 16.
axb5 axb5 17. c4 bxc4 18. Nxc4 Ne8 19. Qa4 Nc7 20. Na5 Rb5 21. Nxc6 Qxc6 22.
b4 Ne6 23. bxc5 Nxc5 24. Qc4 Qb7 1/2-1/2, as in the game L. Ljubojevic
(2600) - J. Piket (2605), Monte Carlo 1994. Black also equalizes after 10.
Bxe6 fxe6 11. d4 Qd7 12. Nbd2 exd4 13. cxd4 Na5 14. b3 Nh5 15. Ng5 Bxg5 16.
Qxh5 Bf6.)

10. ... exd4

(Black can also achieve equality after 10. ... Bd7 11. Bc2 Qc8 12. Nbd2 Qb7
13. d5 Na5 14. Bd3 c5 15. Nb3 Qb6 16. Nxa5.)

11. cxd4 Bxb3
12. Qxb3 Na5

(Instead 12. ... d5 and white has 2 choices: Either 13. e5 Ne4 14. Nbd2 Bb4
15. Nxe4 Bxe1 16. Bg5 Qe8 17. Nf6+ gxf6 18. Bxf6 Bxf2+ 19. Kxf2 Qe6 20. Nh4
Ne7 21. Qg3+ Ng6 22. Qg5 Qb6 23. Rd1 Qc6 24. Qh6 Qc2+ 25. Kg3 1-0, as in the
game Q. Loiseau (2010) - M. Siclet (1780), Le Grand Bornand 2007; Or 13.
exd5 Qxd5 14. Nbd2 Bb4 15. Qxd5 Nxd5 16. a3 Ba5 17. Re4 Rae8 18. Rxe8 Rxe8
19. Nb3 Bb6 20. Bd2 Rd8 21. Rc1 Nce7 22. Nc5 Bxc5 23. dxc5 f6 24. Ba5 Kf7
25. Rd1 Nc6 26. Be1 Nf4 27. Rxd8 1/2-1/2, as in the game M. Collmann
(1822) - P. Thumulka (1369), Verden 2006.)

13. Qd3

(13. e5 Ne4 14. Nbd2 Bb4 15. Nxe4 Bxe1 16. Bg5 Qe8 17. Nf6+ gxf6 18. Bxf6
Bxf2+ 19. Kxf2 Qe6 20. Nh4 Ne7 21. Qg3+ Ng6 22. Qg5 Qb6 23. Rd1 Qc6 24. Qh6
Qc2+ 25. Kg3 1-0, as in the game Q. Loiseau (2010) - M. Siclet (1780), Le
Grand Bornand 2007. Also playable is 13. ... Qxd5 14. Nbd2 Bb4 15. Qxd5 Nxd5
16. a3 Ba5 17. Re4 Rae8 18. Rxe8 Rxe8 19. Nb3 Bb6 20. Bd2 Rd8 21. Rc1 Nce7
22. Nc5 Bxc5 23. dxc5 f6 24. Ba5 Kf7 25. Rd1 Nc6 26. Be1 Nf4 27. Rxd8
1/2-1/2, as in the game M. Collmann (1822) - P. Thumulka (1369), Verden
2006)

13. Qd3

(13. Qc2 Rc8 gives white a moderate advantage.)

13. ... c5

(White now has a slight edge.)

14. Nc3

(Black has a cramped position.)

14. ... Nc6

(14. ... Re8 15. Bg5 is strong for white.)

15. Bg5

(15. a3 Re8 gives white a slight edge.)

15. ... h6
16. Bh4 Re8

(After 16. ... Nb4 17. Qd2 white has a slight advantage.)

17. Rad1

(17. dxc5 dxc5 18. Qe3 Nd7 19. Bxe7 Nxe7 gives white a slight advantage.)

17. ... c4

(This push gains space. 17. ... Nb4 18. Qd2 c4 19. Re2 gives white a slight
advantage.)

18. Qb1

(18. Qe3 Nb4 19. Re2 Nh5 20. Bxe7 Qxe7 offers equal chances.)

18. ... Nb4

(18. ... Nh5 19. Bxe7 Nxe7 20. Qc1 offers equal chances.)

19. e5

(White gains space. 19. Re3 Nd3 would give equality.)

19. ... Nfd5
20. Bxe7

(20. Nxd5 Nxd5 21. Bg3 Bf8 offers equal chances.)

20. ... Qxe7

(Weaker is 20. ... Rxe7 21. Nxd5 Nxd5 22. Nh4 with a strong position for
white.)

21. Nxd5

(21. a4 Nf4 22. Qf5 Nbd3 23. exd6 Qxd6 24. Rxe8+ Rxe8 leads to equality.)

21. ... Nxd5

(This gives black a slight edge.)

22. Re4 Nf6

(22. ... c3 23. Rde1 Rec8 24. R4e2 gives black a slight advantage.)

23. Rh4

(23. Re3 Nd5 24. Re4 c3 gives black a slight advantage.)

23. ... dxe5
24. dxe5 Nd7
25. Re1 Nc5

(25. ... Rad8 26. Re3 gives black a slight advantage.)

26. Rg4

(26. b3 Nd3 27. Re3 Rac8 leads to equality.)

26. ... Nd3

(Black has a slight advantage. Black threatens to win material: Nd3xe1.)

27. Re3 Qc5

(Can e5 get defended? 27. ... f5 28. Rg6 Red8 gives black a slightly better
position.)

Key Move Diagram:
        r3r1k1/
        5pp1/
        p6p/
        1pq1P3/
        2p3R1/
        3nRN1P/
        PP3PP1/
        1Q4K1
Position after black's 27th mvoe.

28. Qc2?

(28. b3!? should be examined more closely.)

28. ... Nxe5

(Black has a strong position.)

29. Nxe5 Rxe5
30. Reg3 g5
31. h4 Kg7

(31. ... Rae8 32. hxg5 hxg5 33. b3 is strong for black.)

32. hxg5 hxg5

Key Move Diagram:
        r7/
        5pk1/
        p7/
        1pq1r1p1/
        2p3R1/
        6R1/
        PPQ2PP1/
        6K1
Position after black's 32nd move.

33. b4??

(This causes further problems for white. Better is 33. Rh4 Rd8 34. Rh7+ Kg8
35. Kh2, but black still has a strong position.)

33. ... Re1+

(This gives black a very strong position.)

34. Kh2 Rh8+
35. Rh3 Rxh3+

(35. ... Qe5+ might be the shorter route: 36. Rgg3 Rxh3+ 37. gxh3 gives
black a decisive advantage.)

36. Kxh3

(36. gxh3 does not win a prize after Qe5+ 37. Rg3 Re2, where black has a
decisive advantage.)

36. ... Qe5
37. g3 f6
38. Qd2 Qe2

(38. ... c3 secures the win after 39. Qd3 c2 40. Qxc2.)

39. Qd7+

(39. Qxe2 is one last hope for white, but after 39. ... Rxe2 40. Rd4 Rxf2
41. a4 black is clearly winning.)

39. ... Kg6

(White resigned.)

0-1

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Mentor Chess
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 08:32:24 -0700

Hi All,
Carol has a good idea in her mentor chess proposal and the BC List is
enthusiastically endorsing the concept.  I propose that we work out any
rules and get a list of mentors together over the next few days.

Carol came up with this idea a month or so ago and she has been testing out
the concept with the help of Connie, Alvin, Hugh and Mike.  I want to thank
all of them for helping Carol with her idea.

Richard
From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] August 1 Elo Ratings
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 08:38:51 -0700

Blind Chess Elo Correspondence Ratings
(Last revised Monday August 01, 2011 07:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time)
Rank Name Rating win-draw-loss Latest Game
1 Paul Benson 2124 16-0-2  Jul-26-2011
2 Rod Macdonald 1994 12-0-0  Aug-01-2011
3 Stan Lovell 1810 9-0-7  Aug-01-2011
4 Michael  Allain 1729 1-0-0  Jan-06-2011
5 Donna Jodhan 1698 4-0-1  Jun-20-2011
6 Dick McStraw 1646 3-0-1  Apr-07-2011
7 Lucy Jensen 1606 10-0-3  Jul-26-2011
8 Randy Kruzeniski 1600 6-0-10  Jul-15-2011
9 Vinnie Beatty 1568 5-1-4  Jun-17-2011
9 Chris Chaffin 1568 6-0-11  Jul-16-2011
11 Edward Zolotarevsky 1543 18-1-14  Jul-26-2011
12 Mike Gieschen 1536 11-0-10  Jul-31-2011
13 Connie Torrisi 1526 11-0-1  Jul-17-2011
14 Curtis Cockayne 1523 9-0-8  Jul-08-2011
15 Johannes Grib 1512 0-0-0  Oct-05-2010
16 John Lacey 1485 0-0-3  Apr-04-2011
17 Shane Wegner 1473 0-0-0  Aug-22-2010
18 David Rosenkoetter 1463 1-0-9  Jul-17-2011
19 Lis Geoghegan 1445 0-0-0  Oct-24-2010
20 Lewis Wallach 1418 6-0-8  Jun-25-2011
21 Johan  Roos 1417 0-0-0  Aug-25-2010
22 Andy Cooper 1416 2-0-1  Jul-15-2011
23 Kallie Swanepoel 1402 3-0-4  Jul-10-2011
23 Jeffrey Turner 1402 2-0-2  Jun-23-2011
25 Brandt Steenkamp 1400 0-0-0  Jun-21-2011
26 Richard Dinger 1397 3-0-5  Jul-31-2011
27 Greg Mason 1394 6-1-9  Jul-18-2011
28 Rebecca Blaevoet 1393 9-1-5  Jul-26-2011
29 Steven Nelson 1391 0-0-1  May-20-2011
30 Alysa Chadow 1390 0-0-0  Oct-03-2010
31 Brett Strydom 1389 3-0-3  Jun-23-2011
32 Jim Homme 1375 0-0-0  Sep-23-2010
33 Ken Nead 1356 3-1-5  Jun-03-2011
34 Carol Harvester 1351 2-0-4  Jun-14-2011
35 Allen Maynard 1348 3-0-6  May-23-2011
36 Jessica Grib2 1346 0-0-3  Mar-23-2011
37 Alvin Blazik 1328 10-0-20  Jul-12-2011
38 Hugh Pharis 1292 3-1-10  Jul-09-2011
39 Virginia Alverson 1291 4-0-11  Jul-26-2011

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] August 1 Performance and Standings by Category
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 08:43:55 -0700

Blind Chess Correspondence Game Division Standings and Performance Ratings
Blind Chess Spring-Summer Theme Tournament Division A
Player Sfcore (Wins-Draws-Losses) Games performance: (Linear-400 Rule)
Macdonald score:  4.0 (4-0-0) after 4 games Performance: (2262-2237)
Benson score:  3.0 (3-0-1) after 4 games Performance: (1929-1917)
Lovell score:  1.0 (1-0-3) after 4 games Performance: (1688-1701)
Cockayne score:  0.0 (0-0-4) after 4 games Performance: (1588-1613)
Average Performance Rating: (1866-1867)

Blind Chess Spring-Summer Theme Tournament Division B
Player Sfcore (Wins-Draws-Losses) Games performance: (Linear-400 Rule)
Gieschen score:  3.0 (3-0-1) after 4 games Performance: (1713-1700)
Jensen score:  3.0 (3-0-1) after 4 games Performance: (1722-1709)
Zolotarevsky score:  2.0 (2-0-2) after 4 games Performance: (1541-1541)
Dinger score:  0.0 (0-0-4) after 4 games Performance: (1115-1140)
Average Performance Rating: (1522-1522)

Blind Chess Spring-Summer Theme Tournament Division C
Player Sfcore (Wins-Draws-Losses) Games performance: (Linear-400 Rule)
Mason score:  3.0 (3-0-1) after 4 games Performance: (1549-1536)
Blaevoet score:  2.0 (2-0-1) after 3 games Performance: (1512-1504)
Blazik score:  2.0 (2-0-1) after 3 games Performance: (1489-1481)
Alverson score:  0.0 (0-0-4) after 4 games Performance: (934-959)
Average Performance Rating: (1371-1370)

Blind Chess List Ladder Tournament
Player Score (Wins-Draws-Losses) Games Performance: (Linear-400 Rule)
1 Cockayne score:  2.0 (2-0-0) after 2 games Performance: (1780-1755)
2 Blaevoet score:  2.0 (2-0-1) after 3 games Performance: (1551-1543)
3 Grib2 score:  0.0 (0-0-2) after 2 games Performance: (989-1014)
4 Alverson score:  0.0 (0-0-2) after 2 games Performance: (983-1008)
5 McStraw score:  2.0 (2-0-0) after 2 games Performance: (1990-1965)
6 Macdonald score:  7.0 (7-0-0) after 7 games Performance: (2100-2075)
7 Lovell score:  5.0 (5-0-1) after 6 games Performance: (1822-1805)
8 Chaffin score:  3.0 (3-0-5) after 8 games Performance: (1550-1557)
9 Zolotarevsky score:  1.0 (1-0-5) after 6 games Performance: (1434-1451)
10 Benson score:  4.0 (4-0-1) after 5 games Performance: (1843-1828)
11 Wallach score:  1.0 (1-0-3) after 4 games Performance: (1368-1380)
12 Maynard score:  1.0 (1-0-3) after 4 games Performance: (1391-1403)
13 Jensen score:  4.0 (4-0-2) after 6 games Performance: (1646-1637)
14 Gieschen score:  2.0 (2-0-5) after 7 games Performance: (1458-1469)
15 Jodhan score:  4.0 (4-0-1) after 5 games Performance: (1785-1770)
16 Kruzeniski score:  3.0 (3-0-4) after 7 games Performance: (1627-1630)
17 Cooper score:  1.0 (1-0-1) after 2 games Performance: (1505-1505)
18 Swanepoel score:  2.0 (2-0-2) after 4 games Performance: (1457-1457)
19 Turner score:  1.0 (1-0-2) after 3 games Performance: (1330-1338)
20 Blazik score:  0.0 (0-0-7) after 7 games Performance: (1231-1256)
21 SteenKamp score:  0.0 (0-0-0) after 0 games Performance: (No Games)
Average Performance Rating: (1542-1542)

Blind Chess List Friendly Games
Player Sfcore (Wins-Draws-Losses) Games performance: (Linear-400 Rule)
Zolotarevsky score:  9.5 (9-1-3) after 13 games Performance: (1695-1684)
Torrisi score:  6.0 (6-0-0) after 6 games Performance: (1812-1787)
Cockayne score:  4.0 (4-0-1) after 5 games Performance: (1661-1646)
Mason score:  3.5 (3-1-8) after 12 games Performance: (1261-1271)
Beatty score:  2.5 (2-1-1) after 4 games Performance: (1636-1629)
Blazik score:  2.0 (2-0-9) after 11 games Performance: (1210-1226)
Harvester score:  2.0 (2-0-1) after 3 games Performance: (1566-1557)
Nead score:  2.0 (2-0-4) after 6 games Performance: (1239-1248)
Pharis score:  1.5 (1-1-3) after 5 games Performance: (1236-1246)
Cooper score:  1.0 (1-0-0) after 1 games Performance: (1814-1789)
Dinger score:  1.0 (1-0-0) after 1 games Performance: (1813-1788)
Gieschen score:  1.0 (1-0-0) after 1 games Performance: (1737-1712)
Macdonald score:  1.0 (1-0-0) after 1 games Performance: (1934-1909)
Maynard score:  1.0 (1-0-0) after 1 games Performance: (1817-1792)
McStraw score:  1.0 (1-0-1) after 2 games Performance: (1424-1424)
Swanepoel score:  1.0 (1-0-2) after 3 games Performance: (1330-1338)
Turner score:  1.0 (1-0-0) after 1 games Performance: (1930-1905)
Grib2 score:  0.0 (0-0-1) after 1 games Performance: (1204-1229)
Lacey score:  0.0 (0-0-3) after 3 games Performance: (978-1003)
Nelson score:  0.0 (0-0-1) after 1 games Performance: (914-939)
Wallach score:  0.0 (0-0-1) after 1 games Performance: (1078-1103)
Average Performance Rating: (1489-1486)

All Blind Chess List Tournament and Friendly Correspondence Games
Player Sfcore (Wins-Draws-Losses) Games performance: (Linear-400 Rule)
Zolotarevsky score: 18.5 (18-1-14) after 33 games Performance: (1591-1588)
Benson score: 16.0 (16-0-2) after 18 games Performance: (1967-1947)
Macdonald score: 12.0 (12-0-0) after 12 games Performance: (2140-2115)
Gieschen score: 11.0 (11-0-10) after 21 games Performance: (1561-1560)
Torrisi score: 11.0 (11-0-1) after 12 games Performance: (1763-1742)
Blazik score: 10.0 (10-0-20) after 30 games Performance: (1328-1337)
Jensen score: 10.0 (10-0-3) after 13 games Performance: (1723-1710)
Blaevoet score:  9.5 (9-1-5) after 15 games Performance: (1480-1473)
Cockayne score:  9.0 (9-0-8) after 17 games Performance: (1613-1612)
Lovell score:  9.0 (9-0-7) after 16 games Performance: (1767-1764)
Mason score:  6.5 (6-1-9) after 16 games Performance: (1333-1338)
Chaffin score:  6.0 (6-0-11) after 17 games Performance: (1619-1626)
Kruzeniski score:  6.0 (6-0-10) after 16 games Performance: (1653-1659)
Wallach score:  6.0 (6-0-8) after 14 games Performance: (1441-1445)
Beatty score:  5.5 (5-1-4) after 10 games Performance: (1577-1575)
Alverson score:  4.0 (4-0-11) after 15 games Performance: (1176-1188)
Jodhan score:  4.0 (4-0-1) after 5 games Performance: (1785-1770)
Nead score:  3.5 (3-1-5) after 9 games Performance: (1274-1280)
Pharis score:  3.5 (3-1-10) after 14 games Performance: (1173-1186)
Dinger score:  3.0 (3-0-5) after 8 games Performance: (1359-1366)
Maynard score:  3.0 (3-0-6) after 9 games Performance: (1370-1379)
McStraw score:  3.0 (3-0-1) after 4 games Performance: (1707-1695)
Strydom score:  3.0 (3-0-3) after 6 games Performance: (1447-1447)
Swanepoel score:  3.0 (3-0-4) after 7 games Performance: (1403-1406)
Cooper score:  2.0 (2-0-1) after 3 games Performance: (1608-1599)
Harvester score:  2.0 (2-0-4) after 6 games Performance: (1245-1253)
Turner score:  2.0 (2-0-2) after 4 games Performance: (1480-1480)
Allain score:  1.0 (1-0-0) after 1 games Performance: (1996-1971)
Rosenkoetter score:  1.0 (1-0-9) after 10 games Performance: (1194-1214)
Grib2 score:  0.0 (0-0-3) after 3 games Performance: (1060-1085)
Lacey score:  0.0 (0-0-3) after 3 games Performance: (978-1003)
Nelson score:  0.0 (0-0-1) after 1 games Performance: (914-939)
Average Performance Rating: (1491-1492)

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Reminder Spring-Summer Theme Round 5 Today
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:27:54 -0700

Hello Players,
Just a reminder ...
Round 5 Aug 1:
Division A Benson-Lovell Cockayne-Macdonald
Division B Gieschen-Zolotarevsky Dinger-Jensen
Division C Mason-Blazik Alverson-Blaevoet

The required English Opening ...
Games beginning in May and August will use the English Reverse Sicilian
opening any of ECO codes A20 through A29.  White can use the following
template to send the required opening moves:
Spring-Summer Theme Tournament Division x
Saint-Amant vs Staunton
White 0 of 5 days
Black 0 of 5 days

1. c4 e5
2. *

And the "Book Moves" for these openings ...
A20
1.c4 e5
A21
1.c4 e5
2.Nc3
A22
1.c4 e5
2.Nc3 Nf6
A23
1.c4 e5
2.Nc3 Nf6
3.g3 c6 (Bremen System, Keres Variation)
A24
1.c4 e5
2.Nc3 Nf6
3.g3 g6 (Bremen System with ...g6)
A25
1.c4 e5
2.Nc3 Nc6
A26 1.c4 e5
2.Nc3 Nc6
3.g3 g6
4.Bg2 Bg7
5.d3 d6
A27
1.c4 e5
2.Nc3 Nc6
3.Nf3 (Three Knights System)
A28
1.c4 e5
2.Nc3 Nc6
3.Nf3 Nf6
A29
1.c4 e5
2.Nc3 Nc6
3.Nf3 Nf6
4.g3 (Four Knights, Kingside Fianchetto)

------------------------------

From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Spoiler Alert Problem WAC078
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 18:48:51 +0100

ée¡©eý8b²s,¶)àSÇb¾'^v)í¢ö«S<¬¥ªí³ö(¹Æ§Z驶Ú-°z+¶Öo'ç[ÊØ^nVo'þ>SÈh§öî¶Ø^n+!¢~¬¦·¬z{eÊ~§?çm¢Ø^nVo'H§fôázÊeSÚZÂ{(zØ^')à²'^j·§¢ÜjH§¶¬¦<"¶*'ý»­Â)e?ç?,·sµêÜj·¢zØ^zw`jgÿ²)Üzw¢¶«q©Þ½êè}÷«¦º-yËb¢{h¶¨¶«ý8^')à²+l¢v¬zhÿ¢-§f÷â.ïÛºÖåiÉjwh-+m.ëh{e¢+m.ë%Sm{h²êÞS{azH§,È?{ôáy

zzx¬iËb½ér¦VoyßéSyâz
ayþ>SÈh¦Ú-.æåiÉ$Sxÿnëb±©l¢éÝz¶­µ§$~º&¶>.§$fªZÂð?'!,+Þ³bµæ©®?åzoÓ.ì!Sת¹ç§SËaz?åÉ×Yzw¶-.«i?禺-yË^wôá{l!S׫¢?,j·¢uæ¥-'zÚÚ-+v?ºo¢z

ayǧ¶¶¥~)^³ûayÝk¢?"±«miÉ"z ay¹ZrJ®yéÿjwm.çµ®S$.«Yëk&­µ§$¢{ay¹ZrGº'x
?ßÓ.çøn+!¢~¬iËb½ê'¶¤Sx,?×ÿjwZ-Ê!jÆ­?·s¶?í.ç;¥¬'þÈhºWm.æåiÉ*¹ç§s<Þk²ý8^'x
?Ú'{^¬­æ?Éú+iËb¢ÞSØ^®)í.çzÚÞþSèzØ^')à²'^ü e¶°?+^¦'ozÆ«yׯzZ)yßÚ?×(zÚânëbz
h¶s¶Öo"ðeiÉÿO
)k â²V§vÏÓ.ê®yéì?שk

æSz+¦'ozÏÓ.é"z¬ºw^®s޲˫{ö§v+-Ê-?çm¡×Yzwbz ayî¤z(!·ÿÓ.êÞj·¹Â­y«miÉ"z
§SÛÿjY\z{kjYr¦VoyßÓ¡Ê.z׫¶¬ý¹ZrHZ²?åËi¢zSé?ç²)ß®?í¡ûazH§fûh¡÷Þ®sèµç-S?ÿNª¹ç§SÆ趧s<Þwö§véÝz¶­µ§$~º&¶°?+^wZè¢OÚ?Ø­SÌ!S×­¢j/{ôáy¯?Ø|®S$±ªÞ¢{az*è®("?©lªæ«zÏÚ?×(zÚânë^zSÈh¦+)SyÞvØ^')ào+a{bµê®yéÿjwb²Øn²-«j\¬yÔáyî¤z(!¶Z('Æ¥SÛezû¥?êÚnWÿmè§,sèµç-yÖò¶¤Sxÿjwajø§?©ñþ¶²¶Þj×ë¢ka{bµçµ®S$?+mSx"·ÿÿ)í²Ço¶*'ÿ~bzÛÿ)í×ûh~)ݶ¤{)¨½ïÓ.ì!Sת¹ç§SÆ­µ§$yßì¢Ê&zØbz

®²ÖÞv?Þiº.¶ØZ·úâ,ÿüx§·oí¡ø§vØ^'즢÷ÿ><"¶*'jYr²-s')àÿbrh¢K-.ë-®?àzºbyÇÿ¶>.§$ªçzz?Ýóú+¶°?+^®S$¢wuüZþÊ¢z-±§+?øozØZ¶?Þüx§·í¡ø§vØ^'즢÷ÿN¬Â)çSx,z«z?Ç¢±ªhÁêߺYb,ÿ²«s­çbzö¬S?ÿnëp?'!²«s­çz+[z?ÿüx§·?í¡ø§vØ^'즢÷ÿ=êáj>"½éb,ÿ²«s­è§½«"¢Ó.æåiÉ$z(!¶?Þê+(z\?y÷§uçh?Çÿjwhz\s¶Öo'çh?ÇÿN«z+!£¯z¿ÚYëk&­µ§$¢{ay¹ZrI'SmýúèsØ^­yík¢?ÿ!ûa{bµé'Sm¢w¸Á«,¹×^z\«zj/y×ë¢kayº

­ßí.éð?+^r<¥vÊ%½ëazsènW¦¡ûay«miÉv«zzz'YÛÊȦ¦\oj>n®)à¶zêIâ,pSØ\.ç$üçÜ¢êì{úbyǬq©ç¢Øî²Öޭ騽çeSG­.«ÿnëm.êÞSË-SYZT槲Úrz½ëayéÝýhbµêek+ÿ×ó`çïÚ?ÛazIâ,kzj/zÈ­±é_~º&¶zýø¥{­.È^rOÚ?ÚeiǬjÚâ¦Ws¶Öo'?í.ëî-w«i¹^nVo'î¤z(!·ðeiÉ!jÉè.ë,¶§ê·©-'¬¶?(zÈ?z¿ÅS»--/æ¢ø§,Ø^')àÿ¥-Z,zf­z¸s.«¢YhÂÏÈýÿÿÿÊ{¿è¯ýÿÿÿÊ{Ïè¯_ÿÿòóü!S×°SYkzTr¶?¥-y"z¨½ë0SØÿÛô1{¯ÿZ­z¬Zë-Â?Ú¦'o{ö§vj+zf­z¸s-øYz<\.ç$T«^S{(Téb?ëÿÂ)e²S'~?e£ÒyÊ'v\ÿ?öåiÉ-®'¬ÿ_ÿÿòYóú+×ÿÿü¨;þØ^YbµêÞ¦Xz²Ú¢Øm.ë')às<Þ³­?ýÿ7ºûðj)ÿ­z¬Zë-Â?Ú¦'o{ö§vØb²Ø¦{­.ªèÉ©_¢¹ÿû^­©ònVo'H§,j/zË>±ê®z{m¢Øb±ú+"ü!S×ojxî²Û-j»m.ébªè?jبzsèqë,Â+aÿÑÅßÿJ?ùnVo'H§,j/zÆ¥-Z,{ð!ý»­iû^¯_ÍfYÿ¶«yªÞê·©-'¬~SÛ.§$ý8^­è¬uçâz+^-&­®*ey«miÉ(zØ^{©'Smý»­²êÞ-/Û.§$q©ìSjeÊTZËýÿÿÿÍÆp?'!Â<¥vËh¦Ø^ro"ü!SW¬jø§,Ø^nVo'Iâ,ÿjwp?+^²Ø¥-¬¶ª¹ç§jÛZrG?ý?¬þØ^±íßiËh®Æ«yÊ+­ç-þÊ.§$Zë-¦V²³ýÿÿÿÍÆÿjwp?+^së-¶§'¨SÒ£ü!jØZ±ÈZz?ÿñb®ËeËûayïßSW¡jÉèÁ·o¢gYºYr¢-§~Sí.ì!S×zÖº("öî¶Ø^±ç(?×ÞjÛ«{ü!?ÈfjG¬¶¬¦<"¶*'Â)çSx¢¼!S×ÿSÌ!jج¥êáj>'¢Û(¡»â¢ëÿN>.§$'x
 ?جzO(zÿÂo?gszËa{bµê®yéè?þÿSÉèÂË©¦SíSx®S$S{Ú² *'

Â+aro'?í.ç{²«s­ïÒ£ýÿEÞþý©ÝnVo'¬¶?h±ëaz«zzwè­¬!S׫¢?ÿjwm.êÞj··Á¬¬¶?hSßÅS»--/âoÿÿòYóûaz}ÿG|ù]ó?ÐÅþ¾5þùý»ý©ÝnVo'+%¢ËÿIç(?ÙrÿoÿÿòóÑÅß>G|þz-z'Û.§$¶¸z²Ú,j÷­.æâ²)Â+aÿÿÿðqwÏí.éøý`ëâYóYÑ{Ï¢²f­{ô¨ý§íz¶åiÉ).¬¬ÿÿÿôqwÏð?+^iÈbz÷¬jf­z¸s-§Â+aÿ?ÐÅþÿ¶>.§$n+!¢-Ú-[ÿN­?*Ý­êeËöåiÉj{kËýÿÿÿÐÅÞ÷ý

]ïâYóóhµèYÿÊfÏð?+^Â)ìj~zqì"¶øü`ä`çYÐwYÿ~SäSx-.æåiÉ$Sx?Ø9n+!¢YÒ£ü!SסjƧ¢h§j]ik
 é-ëÿnë\j|"?û«¶«T«^®&¥Â+aÿ?ÁÆAÆyý\ïü"¶Y{
a­æ­³ôáy¾ékⱫmiÉwûaz·¢±©l£ôçïð?'!Â)e¦'$º>ay¹ZrFâ²)ý©Ý.«--+az·¢³ôçïð?'!~Sä±¹ZrOìn+!¢-§v+¢?ÿYh~Ø^±ëa­æ­±Æ§z<[z-«®'?ý©ÝSÛzk²'å¢È§,Ø^oºZÂx¬.欶»¢z<¬ý»­nVo"¥-Z,zj+zf­z¸s.©òÁ¬ÿ§¶°?+^ªçzzÈ?z-°zȶº%-)àÿÿ¢w^zÇ?¦º)¢Ç?²?n¶*'ÿ_ÍfY?Ævý{ù
 ]ïÐÅÞþ)ÿ8ü`ä`çYÐÅÎÿÿó­.êíiËbq©oj¸s¶*'±Ê'²'^­çÿjwkz7oµçÿUªâjبoõý
^ëà¢?m¯'è¯bµïâ²Ú-¯&§uÆ­ray¹ZrJèÉ©mÊ)í.çzÚÞþ)Sx-¢~o'êfj׫?©Z-?ධk/ÖSØZ-^p?+^¦'ozÌ(®H§fûaz·¦SmmëazËZ®Ùbzõý^ëïÖzYÿ¶­­ë(-÷¬¶©®?åzj¶s¶Öo'çp?+^ªçzYöî¶;¬¶0sç!iËb¾+rÂ)e~?e£Ú?ÚÞTé>z¿í.騭æo¶+Þ­z~zqë0?'!j·­­§^uú+Svo¶+ÞnVo'~zqëÿSÆ¥s<-qêíj)åÊ·¥?ëâz
 a zs޲˫z
 ?Û.§$üw«{öåiÉjy赫è?צ۫Sx-.ì!Sת¹ç§ý«Y&åiÉ$Sx&¢÷s-Z0³ýÿG|!
ý©Ý­z¬Â?Úªçz?©Ý'x ?×è­ªè¢OÒ£ýÿÿÿÊÅîÿjwg£
a{bµç¸'x?ØZ³¹^?©f¢÷¬ý©eºy^jÈbz?SÇ(½êÞu«miÉ(zØ^nVo'H§fô^Té>z¿ÚY+Ú®&­S?ð.êÞ­z¬¶SÞr<Þ®Ø^nVo'«zzwè®Ø^wZè¢Oåy«Þ³bµæ§{!jxvO'ý©Ý¶s¶Öo"¥-¯yج²*Zµçÿ.æ¯Sx.§$±§Þý*ÿÛó\ßâYïö§u¹ZrH¬±§ÞüêÿÛó]ÛâYïö§v«{bµçzz-z÷§Â)Û.§$¶>.§$ªçzYûayßßSW¢±¹hrG?ý¹ZrH¬±§ÞüêÿÛó`ßâYïöåiÉ"²ÆY{ó«ÿoÍfYÿjwm?+"²sÞ½éíSx-.æåiÉ"zë¢k$ºY"z°k+h¿ÛºØ^q©à£ýÿÿÿÊYÓ.éb?ç(ºW\¢{bzçÿßôqwÏåy«âzåiÉ0SØZßüÉÈh?Ǩ~·oj>n­ëÿWs®\ÿ¶°?+^'x

?Ú'fo(ºWeSG­.êh²È>SX­Ê?ߢ¹"zè¢K(?þâ}©e£?þÊ.§$þË"sT^²ÚÞ¦\¢³ýÿÿÿÑ?|ý©Ý­z+?ì\.©àyÚ0Y­?z¢YhÂêÿnVo'+,i÷ÿ:¿öü×9ø§ûý©ÝnVo'+,i÷ÿ:¿öüÜ_ëⱯÚ?ÖåiÉ"²ÆY{ô¨þz0Áæ«®+ÞjÜ!S×ÿ³»av+¢÷«y×!yÉ0SØm.ç¸'x?ßð?'!SÏöü×zûü!?Ègy«eÉÊ/z»-.çùjw_îÊ®j·¬ý»­.«,Sh¥j¹rnZ'çm.çÿ~)^ýÚ0YbrayÝk¢?0jȧµéÝSx-£§m§$¶>.§$ªçz?«l¢g©¢)íüZrHZ³jÞ¦Xz³ûayø«²Ø¬ÿoÿÿð^çôáSɨ½ì"-ZÞ¶êç²?zT«^®&¥þ)è­×«¶^"½ëay¹ZrI"z

ayþ¬ªæ«yú+~X?ßÓ.è?y¨¬iû^¯ýÿG¹ø§úý»­zO0?+^.«ÿãó^ãâïYÑÅßk|ý©Ý­z¬Úh§¢ºbyǬ~SÚ®S$ý«^râq©pSÛºÚÞªè«SxqË«j×­yÈgS«zSv¥¢xjgÿJ?Ú¶V¬·bµèZ±ú.?ÖYjú.­¦åzX§{øhÁëÞ¯öåiÉ¡ë'¢ØZ½ëh,+Þk²¶

Y鸬?Sÿ¶«z+.è-H§,j/z)ÿÛÿÿü§{ý?­j¢Yûa{bµé'Sm.«;.è-j/zÌ"¶!?È]SÇ(½êÞuÈ^rL"-VÞ,+ÞYòâ²Ø§,Ø^T©eÂ)e­ëÞjY趧fø­SÈh¥çî-\s¦-«z{m.«bbµè¬,^§,Ú,º»â½ëaSÏí.éÚv+¢÷«y×!yÉ&ºË[yú.?ßð?'!jYhÂÌ!S×­¢·j)í.æåiÉ*¹ç§~Sí.é'Smý©ÝzzÛ^®j/z+ÿßóqo¿ÿ¦'$Sx.¥ªZÂz'¶°k/Ò£ùèÂØ^nVo'H§,¬Új/zËh¶oýø¥{ö§v-«iÚ1?Æ¥-/í.æo¶+Þr"q謶°¢»s<Þý8^­æ¬¢wè®Øb³ø¬¶®zsèµç-yÖåiÉSÈh¥©ÝfúZÂz'¶º¶ÚzOÒ¢'ÿßÿ

ÿü§:ãóqwÏ'k|ûöåiÉ"²ÚòSx-¢ÚÚuê}©Úrد{bµêè¢OÚ?ØYzOÿçôqwÏÛ.§$së-mç­çî-ò.êÞÿYÿÿôqwÏí.éÿëô^ëì"zËayþ>SÈh§ô¨ý¹ZrI®²Úek/ùÿÿÿ|ý»­¶¬jg¢uæs?¨§~Sð?+^ÿ¯Ñ{¯SszÿG:+8ü.§$ÿ..Ö¥-O¶¶?z?ë¢?,ý©Ý¶«zf¢z)à­zº("¥-)ïi×YS»--*'¶SX­?뢶©j*è~º('Ê'~éeÊS^?ǧ¶¶¥~)^³÷(T¸§yÜ"¶o¢êez?æSz+¦'ozÏÚ?¨§²Ö§ºw^½éh¥ç[.§$j¹²ü$µ©²Ø^­y¸¬?SpSØÿßÿÿüÜ_ãóµêâjX¬z«s-öî¶Ø^¦<"¶*'mç(Të®ë!Sx¢¼!S×°SØÿãô^{¿Ã¢æåyÚè¢K(zØ^îØkjyÿr?>Sw?Â+ak«a­©ä'x?ßìzÛ©jws¶f­Sx'zßÁ.§$q©í¯/øÿÿÿ6þçòYÔØ9ÿbr-¢>-.ëa­æ­zw?T«^¢wûüz0z÷«ÿbµæ­µ§$²Ø^uçÞ?ا?¹ZrI'SmÂ+aÿ¯áãö§u©òs<Þo+ay¹ZrI'Smý©e£;ýûúf­{ðeiÉjz'-&¯¢'fj×°SØÿëÿÿý{ý»­²)©-/ûüÜaïãq?¿ÿG{­{ö°??^®S$ºYðS{ÿJ?Ú~׫­{û-®
 '$ËýÿEÞþý¹ZrFÞSx¦'ozêÿ¡÷Þ®Ëaz«zzvÚrL"¶öÿÿÿAîÿZ­yƧ¦V²²)©-,"!
¶÷ý^ïâ±{¾ÿ6ÿjwm.æåiÉêIâ,b²~§?çZ?Ùh²ßÚ?Ü!S×¢±·­µêÿnëZ-?à?©zSȧ¦º,¥ç-ü?ìµæ?ý§íz¶åiÉ"z׫¦<³­?ýÿÿÿÐ{¿ð?+^q©Ü­æ­yÊ&¦XojبzÌ"¶÷üØ9ûðeiÉ!jÍëzTbzÏÅS»--/÷ÿÿÿ79ÿbrh±ë-£þÿEì^ïâYëúk¢×o¶)à¶æIâ,ÿnëm.éÿçð^çì"zƧ{!jx¢x|ý'o¢weËýÿÿÿÊ{ÎÿG»ø¬^ïYÑÅî¾ý©Ý­y©l£§²Ø^fªZÂÚ?Ü"¶p¢h§¢ºbyǬjwZ¥«,y×ÿ¥¬'j¢zËZ®S$ÿbµì"-W¯z{njYrÂ)ÿnëpSYgyçijØzzÛ^râªçÿN­?*ÝnVo'Èh?Çs~׫ÿÍfYÿSÏ÷ÿÿÿ)þÿN¬SËÞ¯&è.ßì¢g­Sg¬s<Þ²X¤zØb³¥-ƯzØ^¦<"¶*'ý©Ý²?z¶)z²Ø^Ê;¬¶f«razj'j·!¶^b±Ú(>õ¡S×o¢{bzç¬Â+aÿ?ÑÅîÿjwb}¹ZrJek+ÿãÿÿü¬^ïûaSËkj{)¢Ç¬¶?¥Sw£ºË`S÷§ÿ^­ëay¹ZrI'Smjw`ê-°?ö¥-ò'²×swöåiÉj{kÊÚ&jG®±ê¶svö§r)à')àÂ+aÿ?ÿÿóq?Ìj׫?©^ªæ¥SÜ¢±¨S

{^ss+j¸¥Ê·sr?ý»­¶©¢È­S?ájȦm©Z?ÇÿZ­yƧ¶¼¹üØ{û÷è­È§,Ø^nVo'H§,êm.æèj·ÿ?Sbzè­©sµïÀ~׫ÿYÿÿòYçü!S×?¡ë'¢ØZ½ç§¢è!¶?sµëay¹ZrI"zí.ë*¹ªÞ?^¬j¯zì?<¥wbµëkÊÚ¢·T«mz»ÿZ­yƧS{-y§`­¦Ú¥¬'Â+aÿ¯ÑÅÎÿÂo?Ws½ë.§$¶Sk¢×o¶Ø^oºZÂᣯz¿í.æåiÉâIâ,\¢÷«²Ø^fk*¹ªÞþÊ"~Ø^­yík¢?½êæ¢÷¬¡÷í.æÚrJÚzOí.éí.ì!SפSx"²û¥?êÚnW­¡ªhµéí?©[iÉ+jy&j×ÿZ­z+zÛ^¯öî¶k¬µ·oj·Yº_Õj¸¢jبo/õý]óäáz·¢±ªa­«Sw!zË0?'!±¬¬ÿó>¾*.³ûaz·Y

¢·?¹¸¨ºÏÿ"ØbzFò?ÛÈX¬r«ý8b²+.æ«-&zw«jX¬jبYùzj{m¢f¤z?Þ¶§'¦èº×¯z¼¦¢÷oj·YºYrý©Ýzbzì?<¥vz-m殶?s¶'ÿêÞÿ­?Ø^nVo'«zzv­µ§$yßâ¶+-zjmSx-¢;¬¶Ö¤z«ý8b³..ÖÞjh¬µ©ýº-??íiËbq©Z?Úh²+b¢v¥,º.?Ûÿ*ì¶\ÿ¶>.§$ªçzz+'¢Öo¶+Þý©Ý¶°?+^ªçzz+/z¼srدz\©.§wü"¶(¡Ö­µ§$Sx(¦s+¶éâ¶'¬ý*ÿ±é^rا?©b?ì!?È^}÷o¶+Þ-+ki׬ªçzzȬjY¨²Ö¥Á¬¬qêíj)åɪh¢·^r+"¢À-ÊÿsSÞiËb½ì!Sש?ç³¥.·­­§^uú+Svo¶+ÞnVo'~zqëÿZ­{¥.·¬-(!¶\°¢»iû^¯ýÿG|fùÛôqkÄqkÏÚ?ÙèÃbµèZ±º-?h§¢ºbyǬjÛZrG?ý8^¢yrs<Þ¶?¯¢'fj׫?©e¢Ë"³ýÿ7úý©ÝnVo'Ƨr(±ëhqªmº·zSØ^®Ø^©'SmþSí.çøn+!¢YÓ.ë"sT^®j/z+ÿßÿÿüÜ_ãù^jø§fbµëh~)Ýjj/yú+¶YêIâ,ÿVo'¬jÉb,`j)âzÊZqïð?+^së-¦V²qªÞ~éeËôá{bµêh²+b¢xZ²Z,µ©es?zzÛ¦o'§µêâz¥Sw°?'!¶¶?zÍéj*ì¡öo¶+Þ-*eiÇ?ºx­³õZ®&­S?Ãÿ_Íw¯-?+^jZÞiÜ¡jƧÇúÚÉ«miÉ(zØ^nVo'î¤z(!·÷ë¢kayík¢?ÿjwg£k?ë-¡·snW­¢ÆYz\oj>n­ê'{¬"¶ay«miÉv«zzÒ£ü!S×o.櫲Ø^Á¬°SØÿ×ó]ëïÚ?ÙèÁ¹ZrHZ³zÞ¦Xz³ð-µé©¶)à¶Sî?¬Ë­?ýÿÿÿÊf¿å¢?,kî-ô¢sTrÿoÐÅîÿjwg£åiÉ&ºËmjG­.é'Sm¢wzÂ+aÿoÿÿð±w¯ÛºÙèÂØ^­zs¿*byǬ®éëjjZzÜ"¶÷ý]ë÷è­È§,Ø^nVo'«zz{h'ç©i×Yzw¢{ayþ>SÈh§­?ýÿAÿÿO½êÿãô]ïïÚ?Ûay¹ZrI"zzz-s<Þ
 þz-zØZ¶Ø^­yþSÈh¥Ê/z»!ëö§vz0nVo'Z,zÆâ²)jwj¹ç§~SÚ­zºè¢L"¶!
øÿÿÿîùý^ïä1{¾ÿC»ûô¨Â+aÿ_Íw¯ÿnVo'Ƨ¶¼ÿ×ÿÿýÌ]ëü!?Èm­©ì¦<±Ø«yËeÊ)í¢Ø^-)ÞZë-,+Þ?§íz¿

öý^è¨;üÚ-{øY¶>.§$')à,?¬ÿoÿÿòYóûaz÷ý]ëö§vØ^nVo'«zzx¬jÛZrG?o+azº("ö§vØ^¦â²)SÇh¹¹rjÛZrG?o+a{«a­©ä~SÜz?ð?+^ªçz?©Ý®S$ý8^ªçzzk¬¶j/{ö§vØ^¦â²)SÉh²ÙÞÆÙ¨½ïÒ£ûaºÇÚ¯ýÿ5Þ¾±ç¦²÷«Êsès+"zÇ£¯z¿Û.§$.«²')ණv·©-(§ÿ_ÿÿô1w¯Í£s¶×«±ªÞr?©.ìÿZ­yƧqªmº·­.æåiÉ*¹ç§S}°k+ÿnëm.ì!Sת¹ç§SÆ¥²?­µ§$yßÓ.ë.¦s,yÙrÁæ¤nVo'Iâ,h?îÿSÉèÁÚ.n\s¶Öo'çÿnëZ-Ê¢æåÉ×Yzw^wôáz·¢±©l¢Ø^­yþSÈh§ü!?Èb±×Yzw^v?Ü{öî¶éÝz¶?¢æåy«miÉ®?­.æåiÉ*¹ç§jwdz(!·õ¡jÛaSÉzj{ÿSËajÜ!S×ÿzO¦'oyÚ0Yù®²×â?Ö«zTrÂo?Ê%½ë-.êk¡¹^s?áSÆ­µ§$yÖâ²)jwj¹ç§ý©Ýj[(­èSysµêâj_Èbµëk?ëÿÛôãöåiÉjv¯¢'m.ë§?ç²Æ«ÉÊ&¦Xojبz?ÿÛÿÿý_ãü!?Èl?<¥w§ý»­²)©-*ek/öý:ýÈZ-W§,)ධ?+^ªçz?©Ý­é¨¾)à.êìzWß®?­.ì!S׫¢?ÿ²Øky«ÿVo"¥-Ø^?Ê'²?bu«^ý©Ýmì"zx§fôáz·¢±©l£ýÿÿÿÐ{¿ð?'!±ç¦²Ú%y«ÞnVo'ªbyÇs.æ?ý»­¶oz{kj\!S׫¢?,jwj¹ç§j·¬¶)e¦O­û¥-*eiÇ?ý©Ý¶>.§$ªçzz+!?ا?·¡SwZ¦<^zØs-\¯ºYÞ­¦åyî¤z(!·ðs­çî-TZɼ>.§$Â)e²Z0-+§­«Þ-Ø^¦<"¶*'ý»­Â¬?<¥u¹ZrJ^®h­²ç!¦·¬²êÞÿ^YýÿAÎÿSÆ¢?Z?Û}êÜ.©ezxý*ÿZ­.«0?+^j¢zËÿ×ÿÿý
 ]ëò-±ç

¦²Ø^¢yrr§qè¬ÿoÑÅÞÿjw[.§$.«'¡Èh?Ç>ºÛh­èSysµêâj\"¶öÿÿÿfùüÚ0¶©¢)í¡ü!S×oj>n®)à¶

>.§$ªçzz?Ýê++z÷s.çÿ¶>.§${©'SmSÇh¹¹rjÛZrG?o+a{bµêè¢Kÿ²?÷ýq{¯Ú?ÙsµêâjWª¹©b·(¬­ïÞ²Ö>-+!yßí?<.¹ZrI®²ÖÞsSÞqªÞ~éaz·ÿ¶oî-°z+¶Öo'çÿjwm.çún+!¢~¬¦·¬z{eÊØzuÚ0zÚ)­ëÞzÖ°?+^®S$S{Ú²*'¢{ayîìªæ«{ðµêÿßÿÿýÎÿnVo'Ƨ¶§²Ö«µÈZ-W§,)ධ?+^®S$±Ê'¶º%¡ûayïßSWÿjwb¶ÇzsÆåiÉ"±ê®j_ÿüZ®fÞ-[ÿ×ðeiÉ!jÇÚ-W§±êâ¢ë%É·¡Swb?ׯzZ)TéíüéåËi¢zSé?ç±×¯zZ)yßÚ?¨§²ÞZrد{bµë§SÛÿSbzh²êïS÷s?¨§²ÛazǨuÛÿSÊÚ¶«¶S(¦Ø¦SËbsýÿSv­S?ìj·®?Ê&s?ÿjwpSyâz­µé©¶Éb'ïõý^ëïÚ?©r±çbYúÞ?ç-yÙ¨½ëÿ½ªâjبoÿÂ)emêÚ­ïÏjéAz{(Yÿÿÿÿή("?©LzË?ïÿÿÿÅ®?ÿD8§?êÿf¢"]­ë,þºÝSx¯ú%Ê-§ýÊ&Iéí:öëý;ÿm5×mÿ×´zzÔèýÈ^²ÏÄT¨¥×kzËÿnX§w÷!zËÿ~·z-+-³ú+?+>?ç-ÿöåSwÿr¬³ó롹^T`Ó¿¢?L¢¹âzîÏ9^®ÏÓ?+)®?åzh¬~º&1ªâ¶§fû)»<å{>¥¨jØm¶Yÿý×¥ÊÈ?þSàýÈ^²ÏÞ¥ßÜ,&§v++zs+µçm¡·Y®?.­çQz)ß?é]þÆè¢OÖSp-¬³ý}çÏÏ®?åze?NüZ­zÚ&¢÷.Ó롹^T'­ºYëÚ­ëþsiÚM¿âvé×þPÖYö?SAÛÿ?<ýÏÔÿ÷EJ×ÿÓT¡¢»@->­¨o>º.é'zÛ©ýhbµïÊf_ÐYÑw_Ñ{_Á?Í{?ÏkoÏooÏs?ÏoÏ?`eiÉÿ)þÿAßÿE¯ÿFÿþÿ5îÿ=®ÿ=¾ÿ=Îÿ>ÿ------------------------------From:
 "stan
 lovell" <lovell32@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [blind-chess] Mentor!
 ChessDate: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 19:54:41 +0100I would be prepared to join in and to
help where possible but I am not surehow this could work given the time
difference between the US and UK andpossible charges.  I guess it would be
possible for the two partners to doit by email, only if they were able to
exchange emails a couple of times aday.  Anyway, if I can be useful I'm
prepared to give it a go.Cheersstan lovell2plaxton courtscarboroughyo12 6qttel:
01723 373447email: lovell32@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
"Alysa Chadow" <achadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Mentor
ChessDate: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 14:18:56 -0700I deffnitely want to participate in
this (as a mentee, that is).  _____From:
blind-chess-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[mailto:blind-chess-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of R DingerSent: Monday, August 01, 2011 8:32 AMTo:
blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [blind-chess] Re: Mentor ChessHi All,Carol
has a good idea in her mentor chess proposal and the BC
 List isenthusiastically endorsing the concept.  I propose that we work out
anyrules and get a list of mentors together over the next few days.Carol came
up with this idea a month or so ago and she has been testing outthe concept
with the help of Connie, Alvin, Hugh and Mike.  I want to thankall of them for
helping Carol with her idea.Richard----- Original Message -----From: Carol
<mailto:harvesterca@xxxxxxxxxxx>  HarvesterTo: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:26 AMSubject: [blind-chess] Mentor ChessHello Richard
and all.I would like to propose a new form of chess activity for the
Blind-Chesslist. It is called Mentor Chess, and is described below.Mentor
ChessThe purpose of Mentor Chess is to help weaker players learn how to
playchess better. Instead of traditional one-on-one instruction, Mentor
Chesswas developed using two players on each team. This concept allows a
strongerchess player to teach a weaker player as they play non-competitive,
unratedgames
 against opponents. The members of each team consult with one a!
notherby telephone or by e-mail to discuss their moves and overall strategy.To
take part in Mentor chess,  two players agree to play a mentored game andeach
player then  chooses a  mentor from a  list of participating mentors.The list
will  be made available on the Blind Chess web page.Carol
Harvester------------------------------From: "R Dinger"
<rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Ladder challenge against Curtis
CockayneDate: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 19:11:12 -0700Lucy tells me Curtis is back so I
will post this challenge.Richard----- Original Message -----From:
Eddyz69@xxxxxxxxx: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Monday, July 18, 2011 3:45
PMSubject: [blind-chess] Ladder challenge against Curtis CockayneHello all,I
wish to challenge Curtis Cockayne to a ladder
game.Edward------------------------------From: "R Dinger"
<rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [blind-chess] Ladder challenge game:
Cockayne-Zolotarevsky Re:LadderDate: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 19:14:10 -0700The Ladder
challenge game
 :Cockayne-Zolotarevskyis scheduled August 1, please begin your game within 3
days.Richard----- Original Message -----From: Eddyz69@xxxxxxxxx:
blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Monday, July 18, 2011 3:45 PMSubject:
[blind-chess] Ladder challenge against Curtis CockayneHello all,I wish to
challenge Curtis Cockayne to a ladder
game.Edward------------------------------From: "R Dinger"
<rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [blind-chess] Revised Ladder StandingsDate: Mon,
1 Aug 2011 19:16:32 -0700Latest Ladder Order and Player Status:Rank Name
(color) status1 Curtis Cockayne (W) defending in Cockayne-Zolotarevsky2 Rebecca
Blaevoet (W) defending in Blaevoet-Macdonald3 Jessica Grib2 (W) defending in
Alverson-Grib24 Ginny Alverson (B) challenging in Alverson-Grib25 Dick McStraw
(W) defending in Wallach-McStraw6 Rod Macdonald (W) challenging in
Blaevoet-Macdonald7 Stan Lovell (W) defending in Lovell-Benson8 Chris Chaffin
(W) available9 Edward Zolotarevsky (W) challenging in Cockayne-Zolotarevsky
 10 Paul Benson (W) challenging in Lovell-Benson11 Lewis Wallac!
h (B) challenging in Wallach-McStraw12 Allen Maynard (W) defending in
Maynard-Jensen13 Lucy Jensen (W) challenging in Maynard-Jensen14 Mike Gieschen
(B) defending in Cooper-Gieschen15 Donna Jodhan (W) vacation16 Randy Kruzeniski
(W) vacation17 Andrew Cooper (B) challenging in Cooper-Gieschen18 Kallie
Swanepoel (B) available19 Jeffrey Turner (W) available20 Alvin Blazik (W)
defending in SteenKamp-Blazik21 Brandt SteenKamp (B) challenging in
SteenKamp-BlazikThe following players have vacations scheduled:Donna J. July 3
through August 10randy K July 26 through August 4Stan L August 13 through
August 20------------------------------Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Mentor
ChessFrom: Woody Anna Dresner <wadresner@xxxxxxx>Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 23:12:11
-0500Hi,Skype might be a good option for people looking for an easy and
economicalway to connect to discuss
moves.Best,Anna------------------------------End of blind-chess Digest V2