[blind-chess] Spoiler!! Problem WAC004

  • From: "Chris C." <cchaffin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:53:19 -0400

Hi Richard and all,

After looking at this problem I discovered that white can mate black in two
moves.
I don't know if this is the move that your answer says, but this is what I
would do:

1. Qxh7+  Kxh7
2. hxg6++

With the pawn on g6 being backed up by the bishop on d3, and the rook on h2,
you definitely have checkmate.
Since the king is in check by two sources, there is nothing black can do to
defend the move.

I must admit my first thought was to move the white queen to g5 threatening the
black queen, therefore swapping queens and putting whites knight on g5.  I also
think this would give white more of an advantage in the game, but there is not
more of an advantage than checkmate, smiles!

Chris