[blind-chess] Re: Spoiler Alert Chess Puzzle #2

  • From: Roderick Macdonald <rmacd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:23:44 -1000 (HST)

Hi Edward,

No, because the knight can be captured on f3. I had a very hard time explaining this puzzle

If the black queen had been on e4, for example, and the pawn on g2 had been on g3, then it would be a self-mate because the pawn on e2 could not capture the knight without exposing the king to queck from the black queen. But you have the right idea about putting the king in check from white's own pieces.

What we need here is for both players to make similar moves, and white's eighth move will put his own king in imaginary check, and there is no legal move to "get out of it."

this one is HARD!

rod

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Eddyz69@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hello Rod and All,
In your scenario wouldn't the simple move of Nf3++ be checkmate against the
white king?
Edward Zolotarevsky