[blind-chess] "Speaking up" the Ladder

  • From: "Roderick Macdonald" <rjmacdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:12:54 -1000

Hi Richard,

Perhaps it might be worth revisiting the end-of-year procedures for the Ladder. I am not proposing anything specific, however.

At the end of the year the procedure is to reverse the Ladder order to start the new year, with the top player starting out on the bottom and the bottom player bouncing to the top. Is this still the way to go if the rules change and allow oen to challenge anyone (I think) all the way up the ladder?

The issue I am thinking about is that while some players are very active and challenge someone new as soon as a game ends, there are also players who only play a very few games all eyar. I would think that the more games a player plays - the more challenges issued - the more justified that person's rise up the beanstalk. But if someone does not issue any challenges, or just one or two, all year...? Is there any merit in awarding a second title to in some way reward activity plus achievement? Perhaps one point for each challenge issued plus one point for each winning challenge and one point for successfully defending a challenge...?

Again, not a proposal for change, but perhaps one to stimulate the collective gray cells.

Rod