[blind-chess] Solution to Problem WAC055

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:21:54 -0800

Good Afternoon Puzzlers,

Paul posted his analysis and solution for this problem last Sunday, but I am
just getting around to sending out the "official" answer.  Take a look at
Paul's analysis and especially the Queen move on Black move 3 in an attempt to
lure White off the mate.

As usual my solution follows and even though I did not originally see the Queen
move, I shamelessly included it here.

The best move is: 1. Qxg7+

Principle:
This problem is about recognizing the Bishop-Rook mating pattern in the corner.
 In fact many tactics revolve around recognizing tactticle patterns.
But here, the Queen must first remove a Pawn and force the King to g7.
1. Qxg7+ Kxg7, forced.
2. Bf6+ and the Black King has four flight squares (f8, g8, h7 or h6) none of
which will save him.
2... Kh6 is instant death with 3. Rh4#
2... Kh7 is only a bit slower with 3. Rh4+ followed by 4. Rh8#
2... Kg8 or Kf8 are also followed by
3. Rh4, remember it is still the same pattern.
Now the Black King may cry out like Henry II "Will no-one rid me of this
troublesome priest?"  So the Black Queen may try with:
3... Qd8 in an attempt to distract the Rook from the mate
4. Rh8#