[blind-chess] Open Chess Game #1 Summary

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:13:17 -0700

Below are all the moves and in line comments of our two open chess match
warriors.  If anyone would like to further annotate this game for the list I
can furnish a plain text file to start with.  I may make such an attempt as
soon as I free up a board.

Game follows:
--------
Open chess match number 1
Uwe vs. Alvin

1. d4
White occupies an important central square. He tries to control the black
squares.

1... d5
Black moves to control the center squares of the board. A "closed" game where
both Pawns have the immediate protection of their respective Queen.

2. Nf3
White brings his first piece into the battle. The knight on f3 controls the
center (squares d4,e5) perfectly.

2... Nf6
Black brings out his first piece, protecting d5 and attacking e4.

3. g3
Controls the black squares f4,h4; developing the bishop to g2 from where it
attacks the white squares along the h1-a8-diagonal (e4,d5).

3... e6
Black anticipates Whites Feinchettoed Bishop and gives additional protection to
its d5 Pawn and opens a path for its f8 Bishop to develop.

4. c4
Once White decided to control the black squares, he should attack and occupy
the white squares (c4,b5,d5,e4). 4. c4 occupies a white square, attacks d5
(indirectly e4).

4... Bd6
Black continues to develop and work toward Casteling his King.

5. Bg2

5... d5xc4
Black captures undefended soldier.

6. Qa4+
with the idea to recapturing on c4.

6... Nc6
Good move for White. Black can only block check on King.

7. Qxc4

7... O-O
King safety is first.

8. O-O

8... a6

9. Bg5
By attacking and pinning the knight, White puts pressure on the white squares
(d5,e4,h7).

9... e5
Opening a path for the c8 Bishop.

10. Nc3

10... exd4

11. Nxd4

11... Be6
Move the defending Queen.

12. Nxe6

12... fxg6
Not a good move, but had to recapture.

13. Qxe6+

13... Kh8
Cannot capture or block Queen attack, so must move King.

14. Qb3
Attacking b7.

14... h6
Attack g5 Bishop.

15. Bxf6

15... Qxf6
but now Black will lose the b7 Pawn.

16. Qxb7

16... Na5
running to avoid capture.

17. Qd5
Saving the queen and attacking the knight again.

17... Qe5
Ready to capture Queen if she captures Knight.

18. Qxe5
White wins the exchange (bishop vs. rook) on a8.

18... Bxe5

19. Bxa8

19... Rxa8
Black is down 4 points but the game continues.

20. Rac1
White brings his rooks into the game and attacks the c7-pawn.

20... Rb8
Blacks Rook ready to capture Whites Pawn on b2.

21. b3

21... Bxc3
a necessary sacrifice

22. Rxc3