[blind-chess] Re: History of the USBCA Re: Dear Jim, A question Please: Blind Chess Olympiad Weymouth 1968

  • From: "Roderick Macdonald" <rjmacdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 10:29:17 -1000

A wee correction: The person accompanying our 1968 Olympiad team was T.T. Perry, not T.T. Murphy.

Rod

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roderick Macdonald" <rjmacdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: H <h.cohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: braillechess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, December 31, 2012, 3:13 PM

Dear Jim,
Time for some trumpet blowing. John Graham was certainly instrumental in
making such a success of the Weymouth Olympiad, but he didn't raise a penny towards the costs, and at that time the organiser paid for board and lodging
of all the teams, guides and officials. I had under a year to do it:
Yugoslavia were supposed to, but pulled out in 1967. What helped was that I was both secretary of the BCA and IBCA. We had twenty teams instead of nine in 1964. Need I say more? I leave it to you to tell your correspondent what
happened to the V. Olympiad sheduled for 1976.
With all good wishes for 2013, on the board and offit, Hans.
From: Alan Dicey <adicey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Jim Slagle" <jamesrslagle@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, September 3, 2012, 10:23 PM

Dear Jim,
I have a question, if you would kindly help me with it.
In the article below, John Graham writes:
"Meanwhile, I had formed a group of U.S. blind players into a national
team and persuaded George Koltonowski, the San Francisco chess columnist, to
accompany them. A San Diego violinist's foundation provided the funds once
they knew that Koltonowski was coming. "
Jim, The question, How did he find you 4 gentlemen, and Does this mean the
USBCA was formed after this 1968 Blind Chess Olympiad in Weymouth?
I know you went, along with Rod Macdonald , and Al Sandrin , I do not
know Metcalf's first name.
I have all you 4 gentlemen's games from this event.
I am going to place them with this article in the "History".
Attached is most all the games from this event if you want to see it. It
is of course very long.
With Best Regards,
Alan
Miami, Florida

* * *
/ Written by John Graham /
"It had seemed such a good idea the year before," said the Weymouth
organizer, "now, at one o'clock in the morning, standing on a bare railway
platform in Weymouth and listening to the broken English of a helper
explaining that the interpreter had died on the way from Poland, the idea
was wearing thin."

A year before, a blind friend had asked if I would organize the third
world championship for blind chess teams. It was not an unreasonable
request - I was already editing and producing an international tape-recorded
chess magazine for the blind - I had the contacts - I was a contributor to
the 'Dorset Evening Echo'. I had a seaside resort for the venue. I was
sighted. I said "O.K. - as long as I don't have to collect the funds."

I need not have worried. Hans, the Secretary of the British Blind Chess
Association, was a whiz at collecting funds. As teams began to respond to
our invitation, he first persuaded Mr. Marks of 'Marks and Spencers' to
sponsor the Israeli team because the Russians were sponsoring a team. Then
he told the Soviet Embassy that the Israelis were fully funded but the
Soviet team couldn't afford to come. We only told one lie. Meanwhile, I had
formed a group of U.S. blind players into a national team and persuaded
George Koltonowski, the San Francisco chess columnist, to accompany them. A
San Diego violinist's foundation provided the funds once they knew that
Koltonowski was coming. Funds grew on other funds, with a little persuasion,
and soon the event was ON. Now it was up to me and Weymouth.

The Fairhaven hotel was being reconstructed and I was able to persuade the
owner of the rambling building on the sea front to add elevators. Since the
building had been assembled from three older hotels, its corridors and
innumerable staircases invited accidents if you were sighted or not. In the final event, the elevators were unnecessary and the blind visitors rejected
warning tapes that I had planned for each staircase. They would take their
chances, they said. In the two weeks of the tournament, three players fell
down flights of stairs but no one was injured - if you're blind you relax in
falling, you don't grasp for a hold that you cannot see.

We invited every blind chess team we knew - those from 20 nations.
Eventually, they all managed support and all turned up. Each brought a team
of four players with two sighted helpers.
In 1968, Britain did not recognize East Germany and I was warned by the
U.K. Foreign Office that East German nationals would only be allowed to
enter the country as individuals rather than as a team. I had to promise
that they would neither be allowed to wave their flag nor sing their anthem. That was annoying because I had arranged for each table to show the flag of
its competing nation (and the media would be watching) and we might even
sing to each other in the evenings. So, when the East Germans came and
learnt of the restrictions, they naturally objected - they announced that
they would go home and take the other Soviet block countries with them. How
strange that now sounds since the Soviet Union is no more but it was a
serious threat in 1968. I found a solution. Since I, the organizer, was the
only one who had actually made the promise to the British Government, I
offered to leave and they could organize everything between them.
"Well, let's not be hasty." was the unanimous reply.
We worked it out: inside the hotel the East Germans would be allowed to
wave whatever flag they chose (even the Welsh one that I offered), and sing
whatever anthem they chose. Outside the hotel we asked for more decorum.
However, since play would take place only in hotel rooms they were the only
places where flags were needed. All was well. My threat, together with a
little diplomacy, worked.

Apart from arranging for two weeks of team play I was also charged with
providing entertainment each evening for 80 blind players, and their 40
sighted helpers. So, the months before the event had been a fury of looking
for opportunities which entranced senses other than sight - a visit to the
Devenish brewery (which we had to repeat several times), a visit to the
seaside, a concert, a musical get-together, and an international evening
with the local blind of Weymouth.

Apart from a chess magazine for the blind, Weymouth volunteers ran 'The
Sound of Weymouth', a recorded entertainment for the blind, a sort of local radio program of recorded interviews and music before local radio came into
being. I planned to make a similar tape of entertainment for the
international evening.
Thus, I contacted each of the twenty embassies for a sample of their
nation's music together with, perhaps, a recorded message of welcome to
their national blind team. All save one immediately sent music and recorded
contributions. 'The U.S. was too busy.' I wrote saying that I
understood their dilemma and that I was simply looking for advice. Should I
play "Yankee Doodle-Dandy", since it was the only piece of American music
that I had at hand?

A reply telegram appeared by return - 'Do not play the suggested music,
recorded contribution on way.' They eventually did us proud - the ambassador had recorded a resounding cheer for the team with an exhortation to do well. He had also included a musical contribution that would not offend any Civil War sensibilities. After all the arrangements, the joint meeting was a great
success and the local blind felt they were part of the Olympiad, which, of
course they were. But I get ahead of myself again.

In those days I did not delegate well. I did most things myself. Amongst
other things, I wrote letters, negotiated with the hotel hosts and selected
the meals. I purchased the medals and flags, arranged for sets and boards,
and wrote to firms, like Wedgwood, for gifts for participants and organized volunteer helpers. In addition, I wrote the newspaper columns for the Dorset
Evening Echo (weekly before the event but daily during it) for delivery at
1:00 a.m., I laid out the tables for play before 7:00 a.m., calculated
scores, and drove the rented van to meet incoming teams at the railway
station. Now here I was, at one o'clock in the morning, meeting the Polish
team, which had just announced that one of their sighted guides had died on
the way and they had brought the body with them.

That next morning, amongst all other tasks, I had to move the body to a
mortuary and find a Polish speaker in an English seaside resort - one who
could devote the better part of two weeks to helping four young blind men to
play chess. Astoundingly, I found one.
Besides the grim reality of a Polish death, each team had its own
problems.

The event was held in April to avoid the summer resort prices. So, the
U.S. team was always cold at night and needed extra blankets. George
Koltonowski, a man who was famous for his photographic memory and
intelligence, rose one morning, too cold to sleep, and in the bathroom,
still dazed from sleep, cleaned his teeth with my hair cream.

The Israeli team had arrived with full security. They had a sighted chess
organizer and a security man from the Hagganah. But the young men of the
team, all North-African Arabs who had suffered more war wounds than simple
blindness, were always eluding their "helpers" and going out on the town
alone. They would walk, single file, each with a hand on the next man's
shoulders, and blunder through the streets, each taking the lead after the
prior lead had been battered enough in knocking into walls and railings. I
rescued them one evening after they blundered into a Chinese restaurant to
find beer and failed to understand Britain's quaint restaurant licensing
laws: 'no food, no drink'. Even today, the picture of a Chinese restaurant
proprietor explaining English law to four blind French-speaking Arab Jews is
unique. These lively young men did not play strong chess but they were
intent on having a good time. They elected at the end of the tournament to
return to Israel via Paris in order to 'see' the Moulin Rouge nudist
display.
Tournament play was arranged with a preliminary session to grade the
teams, and then a longer final session as the real competition. Each game
had a primary chess set on which the moves were made by helpers and each
player had a smaller set (about 7" square) over which he, or she, could feel the entire span of pieces with their hands. A player would make his move on
his small board, announce his move aloud in German, and record it in
Braille. The opponent would then make the move on his board and a helper
would make it on the large set for the sake of onlookers. It was a little
more complicated than in a sighted tournament, but it went well. The hall
buzzed with announced moves and the chattering of Braille recorders.

The whole competition went well - there were enough boards and sets, hall
facilities were good, there were plenty of guides and helpers, refreshments
and meals were on time and well received, and the day's reports were being
printed each day in the local newspaper. I couldn't believe that there could
be no problems when I had spent the past year running from one crisis to
another.

Evening entertainment - another earlier concern was much less trouble than
I had expected. The visit to the old brewery was the greatest success. Its
creaky wooden stairs and floors, the smell of fermenting grain, malt, and
brew, coupled with a taste of various samples, was such a sensory feast that the visitors were not content with a single visit - they insisted that they return the next day and the next. The coach visit to the beach culminated in
paddling on the shingle shore was another sensual experience that the
visitors enjoyed. Most had never paddled before. Then the international
evening proved so musically inspiring that the visitors decided to put on
their own musical evening. Overnight, I was asked to find several guitars
and an accordion. A notice in the paper the following morning provided
instruments within hours and we had a real German 'biergarten fest' ready
made.

At the end of two weeks, there was a grand awards evening. After all the
good fellowship of chess and music, the opportunity provided by speeches
brought the old political ambitions to the surface. After all, each team had
two sighted helpers - a chess expert and an official. The official was
generally political. Certainly, they were for the Soviet Union and Israel.
This was their turn in the sun. Immediately, a dispute broke out - the
Israelis had brought a gift for Weymouth's Mayor so they demanded that they
speak first to present the gift. However, the Soviet team had won the
tournament so they demanded first spot on the program. Impasse! Everyone
shouted and argued. A decision had to be made. Thank the lord for
international chivalry: I remembered that the Rumanian team alone was lead
by a woman so I announced that she would speak first. The protests ceased
and we had smiles for the remainder of the ceremony.

In my home, there are reminders of that hectic fortnight: a pair of
magnificent black Wedgewood chess pieces and a small white bear. The little bear is in recognition of the difficulties that the East German team brought
me. I have a memory of the team waving its flag in public at the closing
ceremony in the Town Hall along with everyone else. And so it should be.

21:42:00

__._,_.___

Reply to sender
Reply to group
Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:

Visit Your Group
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the association. To be a participant of the group, the committee demands that you abide by the code of conduct that can be viewed at http://www.braillechess.org.uk/groups/codeofconduct.html if you would like any further clarification of the list's objectives or simply wish to speak to a representative of the association, please email us on
customerservices@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We thank you for your understanding and hope that you gain much from our user group list.
The B.C.A. team
http://www.braillechess.org.uk

.

====